Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-229A/H Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-229A/H
Icom IC-229A/H Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $120.00
Description: 2 Meter Mobile

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-229A/H.

K4CMD Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2003 10:31 Send this review to a friend
12 years, one totaled car and still going strong!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the IC-229H (50-watt version of the 25-watt 229A) for a dozen years now. This doggone thing won't die!

It survived a hydroplaning accident that totaled my car (and caused serious injuries) back in 1992, and I used the local autopatch to call for help even though my passenger's knee had hit the mike hard enough to bend its metal hook and crack its case as it hung on the dashboard. It's been mounted in a total of four cars over the years and has yet to give up. The display is nice and bright, all controls work well, etc.

Even though the rig is far from new, it has some standard features that outshine even the newfangled rigs. It receives AM aircraft (and does it well), its mike has 10 autodialer memories, and the rig even has a built-in attenuator that not only helps in intermod situations, but also makes it a great DFing rig!

I plan to keep this rig until it dies ... which, judging from my experience so far, means it may outlast ME. :)

K4CMD

KC0KVZ Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2002 20:48 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think the IC-229A is an Excellent Radio, keeping in mind it was made about 10 years ago. The audio is fine as well as the receiver side. I will admit the coax conection for the antenna should be on the radio however I have never had any problem with it. I have used this rig in my truck for over a year, in hot or cold weather it's ready to do the job and thats what counts.

VE6BUD Rating: 4/5 May 6, 2002 18:07 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio but has flaws  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio is feature packed!

It's interface is easy to use and straightforward for the amount of features that it has. It's readout is very easy to read, even in bright light and all of the controls are backlit so they can be easily located during the nighttime.

The power button is a big plus as well as the location of all of the controls. The size of this radio is incredible for the amount of features it has!

The transmit audio is very clear. The recieve audio is also quite clear and quite full as Icom included a large speaker in this radio that is on the top!

However, there are some things I do not like about this radio:

1. This radio is prone to intermod and the squelch tends to open up when there isn't any legit signal. An inline filter would help.
2. Icom made the Tone Squelch feature optional with this radio. Because of the front end I honestly think that Icom should have included it as a standard feature.
3. The idea of putting the PL-259 connector on a cable exterior to the radio is a bad idea, in my opinion. It works but the connector should be mounted on the radio itself to lessen troubles.
4. The Volume and Squelch controls feel flimsy. I take great care in adjusting them. (The VFO/M knob feels quite solid however.)
5. The PTT button is hard to push in comparison to other Microphones I've used. As well, the DTMF buttons are quite small and are not backlit. (The mic though does have up/down buttons and a DTMF pad with memory! Thank you Icom!)

This radio typically sells at a very decent price at Flea Markets and Swap & Shops. It is well worth it, especially considering the features it has, but examine the antenna cable closely for wear before you purchase it.