Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Ten-Tec Argonaut V Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Argonaut V
Ten-Tec Argonaut V Reviews: 92 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $895.
Description: USA-made 20 watt IF-DSP HF Transceiver
More info: http://www.tentec.com/TT516.htm

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Argonaut V.

WI6T Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2014 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Twenty watts of pleasure  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased new at the TT factory with the crystal stable oscillator in 2006. No problems in eight years. Used with all modes (yes, even AM at five watts). CW QSK is wonderful. I installed an of/off switch on the bottom of the case for fan operation. AM receive is a joy at six kHz. I got the TT Model 712 USB interface for digital modes and it could not be easier. Been a ham over forty years and have a number of rigs; the TT Argonaut is one of my keepers. If you find a decent one for sale, go for it. Mine will never leave my operating desk.

K7FD Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2014 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Coming up on 6 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got my Argonaut V in 2008, still one of my daily drivers. Sitting next to a TS-990S you might be surprised that AM reception on Argonaut V sounds better than on the Kenwood. Listening to AM on this rig rivals any rig I've ever used. I use this rig for 2 things: 1) listening to AM group on 3.885MHz every morning and 2) on CW. In these two categories, it is an amazing radio. The receiver is excellent. I have never had a mic plugged into it, so can't comment on that part. I love this little rig and hope it keeps ticking...

73 John K7FD

N2DTS Rating: 3/5 Jan 23, 2014 20:31 Send this review to a friend
Not as good as I thought it would be  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The good:
Really nice audio on SSB receive.

Very nice style radio, like the analog meter, the big display.

Nice that it goes up to 20 watts.

Nice sidetone.

Small well made package.

Sensitive quiet receiver.

The not so good:
My tuning knob is very stiff to turn. The radio moves around the table when using the finger hole.

On CW, using break in, there seems to be audio artifacts when it switches between RX and TX, not there when using vox (semi break in).

AM modulation is very poor, it does not get close to 100% positive modulation.

Poor audio on TX, low gain with both pots turned up and a dynamic mic, can sound ok on ssb but mic level is very critical.

Overall the buttons are simple, but its not simple to operate some things.

That nice looking analog meter is wide open inside, there is no case around the meter movement, so dirt can get right into it!

My K2 was easier to operate, but had much worse audio.

My Wilderness radio Sierra is easier to operate, and likely works just as good on CW.

Something like an Icom 756 pro series is worlds better to operate because it has enough buttons to do the job, and even though its got klunky relay TX/RX switching, it does not have odd audio artifacts.

This rig is a good small portable (not manpack) radio on CW, will serve on ssb in a pinch, has a nice receiver, and it looks very nice.

For portable operation, I think I would do Elecraft, even with the poor audio.
For a home station, I want band stacking registers, good TX and RX audio, built in tuner, and a few more knobs and buttons.

The band up only button does not bother me, nor does the lack of detents on the multi knob, but that control seems a little erratic at times.

I get over 20 watts out, and use the attenuator on receive with the full size antenna's and the receiver has plenty of gain.
The filters are not sdr sharp, but very good.

My radio has the latest software.

N0TVE Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2013 12:18 Send this review to a friend
Fun Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This has turned out to be a really versatile radio for me. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I am using the Argo. almost exclusively as a portable rig. I usually connect it to a LNR 10/20/40 EFHW or an Icom AH-703 antenna ( a great antenna by the way!). I power it with a 12v LiFePo battery that I keep at 13.8 v output by running it through a battery booster. I have made contacts all over the world with this set from lots of parks.
The radio is simple to use and well built. The controls are solid feeling and everything is easy to read. Receive is very clear and the audio reports that I get are good.
Twenty watts and a good antenna are all I need for fun with this radio.

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2013 15:49 Send this review to a friend
Solid little radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Perspective is everything here. In 1979 I bought a new 509 and used it for two years as my only rig. The 509 was traded for an Argosy. I still use it but it's riding in the same boat as the 509: it's usefulness is limited, e.g. no keyer, no real dial calibration, RIT, XIT, etc. After a decade of wanting one, I just scored a nice 516 on ePay.

For those of us who used the older TT stuff, this is something from Star Wars. This rig has everything you need to reliably do everyday hamming. With the SignaLink plugged in the Aux 1 port and a simple Serial to USB cable, I can do all the digi modes. CW works very well. No the tunable bandwidth is not as elegant as the newer rigs. But it will help when help is needed. QSK is, of course, transparent. It's got both AM and FM. I also own a Jupiter and the buttons essentially work the same with no "real" menu's. It's got enough bells and a few whistles so as to help the operator with access not getting in the way.

In short this is a fun rig. Mine has all the options: heatsink fan for heavy operating and TCXO for some stability. I plan on using this as my everyday radio. A very neat old gal.

KF5HDU Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2013 06:08 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic little rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this little rig for a specific purpose, which has been to have a versatile, compact, easy on amp draw transceiver that I could mount in a small enclosure and carry with me in any vehicle. Score one for me! This rig has exceeded every expectation. Yes, it is only 20 watts, however, after experimenting with a number of different antennas, I have found that it really makes the most out of whatever antenna you hook it to. I have checked in on numerous nets during less than ideal conditions, and it has really worked well. The built in filters are awesome. You can fine tune what works for you. The band switch button that only scrolls up has been mentioned before, but it's not that big of deal. I do have it hooked to an LDG Z100 Pro tuner by the way. I do wish you could direct enter frequencies, but instead you just save your favorites in memory and go with it. As far as power consumption, it does very well in my opinion. With open squelch, and listening with a moderate volume level, it draws about 800 mAh. With sound squelched, no volume, about 350-400 mAh. Not bad! Coupled with a small solar panel, and a 12Ah AGM battery, I have worked several hours at a 20-25% duty cycle at 20 watts out, with out a problem. That's impressive. I even have a cigarette lighter plug to power poles I use for the rig, and it doesn't miss a beat. I am very pleased!

KG6TAG Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2013 23:07 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use, excellent performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
This Argonaut was my dream radio for a long time, until I finally obtained a nice one with TCXO and 1.08 software about three years ago.

After long though sporadic usage in my house, I've leared that it does indeed live up to Ten-Tec reputation.

The DSP IF filters work amazingly well, and my operating style has never needed any roofing filter.

It's easy and intuitive to operate; I don't get overwhelmed with layered menus (there are none) or tiny and cryptic display indications.

Though I am normally a QRP CW op, the ability to go up to 20w has saved more than a couple of QSO.

Great job Ten-Tec.

KG9H Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2012 13:41 Send this review to a friend
What a great little radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio is a mini-Jupiter, my other favorite radio. If you like a Jupiter, you will LOVE this little radio. Most all my use is CW, but tried SSB a few times. Always get excellent reports on SSB, shocked to see it has FM and PL tones on it. As a QRP radio it is fantastic, but has 20 watts when you need it.. You can hide this radio almost anywhere. Mine is hidden in the study desk, no one is the wiser.. Got on 160 last night - worked a few stations. Got great report on the audio...... now back to CW. Find me on the lower end of 40, de KG9H

W0NTS Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2012 05:26 Send this review to a friend
Impressive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased mine a few weeks ago as a replacement for another low power HF transceiver. I'm using it to operate JT65-HF and it is fully up to that task. The only way I can fault this radio is band changing is "up" only which is a very minor thing. This is my first experience with a TenTec transceiver and I must say that I am impressed with the quality and performance. Dennis W0NTS

F5TXW Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2012 07:12 Send this review to a friend
GOOD TRANSCEIVER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought a tt V and I find it very easy to use.
The firmware was 1.07 so I made changes to switch to 1.08 I recommend it for SSB.
I wiring a Rs232 cable pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to 2 ...
I love the sound of this transceiver, the controls are very easy to use and not need the user manual.
The display is large and very legible.
In cw performance is very good, with adjustable filter.

73 Oliver F5TXW