Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Ten-Tec Argonaut V Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Argonaut V
Ten-Tec Argonaut V Reviews: 95 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $895.
Description: USA-made 20 watt IF-DSP HF Transceiver
More info: http://www.tentec.com/TT516.htm

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Argonaut V.

KG9H Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2012 13:41 Send this review to a friend
What a great little radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio is a mini-Jupiter, my other favorite radio. If you like a Jupiter, you will LOVE this little radio. Most all my use is CW, but tried SSB a few times. Always get excellent reports on SSB, shocked to see it has FM and PL tones on it. As a QRP radio it is fantastic, but has 20 watts when you need it.. You can hide this radio almost anywhere. Mine is hidden in the study desk, no one is the wiser.. Got on 160 last night - worked a few stations. Got great report on the audio...... now back to CW. Find me on the lower end of 40, de KG9H

W0NTS Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2012 05:26 Send this review to a friend
Impressive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased mine a few weeks ago as a replacement for another low power HF transceiver. I'm using it to operate JT65-HF and it is fully up to that task. The only way I can fault this radio is band changing is "up" only which is a very minor thing. This is my first experience with a TenTec transceiver and I must say that I am impressed with the quality and performance. Dennis W0NTS

F5TXW Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2012 07:12 Send this review to a friend
GOOD TRANSCEIVER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought a tt V and I find it very easy to use.
The firmware was 1.07 so I made changes to switch to 1.08 I recommend it for SSB.
I wiring a Rs232 cable pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to 2 ...
I love the sound of this transceiver, the controls are very easy to use and not need the user manual.
The display is large and very legible.
In cw performance is very good, with adjustable filter.

73 Oliver F5TXW

VA7BC Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2012 20:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had the Argonaut V 516 TXCO for a few years now. Bought it used. Use it QRP.....check out my Youtube videos on the Argonaut V at www.youtube.com/va7bc

This is one of my favorite rigs. I throw it and its accessories into a Pelican case when I go car camping. Sets up very easily. All the controls you will need are on the front panel ( I can't stand scrolling through menus and submenus so that's why I chose this QRP rig). I enjoy the user interface and its sound quality.

VE3EGA Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2011 11:21 Send this review to a friend
Wow!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I am the second owner of this 'Argo V - Model 516', recently purchased from an avid Ten-Tec user out in BC, who was simply thinning out his collection of TT radios - thank you John!

Although TT discontinued this fine (SDR) radio (I'm not sure why????) It performs amazingly well and I find that the 1-20W RF (adjustable) is more than sufficient to get me into Central Europe and VK from mid-Canada with my Carolina Windom. The receiver blows away my Flex-1500 on CW, and with it's 35 DSP bandwidth filters makes for a very usable rig on all the lower HF bands!

Overall, this radio gives a good account of itself, despite being approximately 8 Years old and I like most TT products, support is almost everlasting - check their You-Tube video interviews...

My radio has the last but one software update (1.07) and checking the website there is a later firmware /hardware update that is required on some models to upgrade the ALC to improve SSB Audio. I contacted TT by email and got an IMMEDIATE response asking for my mailing address to ship the mod kit out to me FREE of CHARGE!

Thanks Paul...

About a day later I got confirmation of shipping from TT - now 'THAT'S CUSTOMER SERVICE'!

Like all radios, there are a few minor multi-functionality controls' that need to be understood with the 'Argo V' but very intuitive and really easy to use!

Size wise, this radio is just 'marginally smaller' than the new 'Eagle' and almost 'look-alike'!

This is a 'keeper' and now the 'Eagle' is in my sights!

If you see one for sale buy it!

W6YDE Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2009 16:51 Send this review to a friend
Almost Perfect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased mine used in very good condition, with PA fans and mic. Is easy to use, one does not need the manual to op. Very simple controls and layout. Compaired it to my FT1000D... abt 5db below on receive and a little noisy due to no RF gain control. But a great little rig.

I also op a FT817nd and IC7000, both are a little hard to run compaired to the Argonaut V which has a nice large readout and bigger knobs and buttons plus no hidden menus, to open and run through.

Its not a IC756ProIII or a TS950SDX, but it is a great rig if you can find one used at a great price.

W1BVV Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2009 17:39 Send this review to a friend
Great little rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my Argonaut V a year ago as my first HF rig, from the factory as a demo. I looked at the comparably priced models from Icom and Yeasu and ultimately purchased the Ten-Tec based on 1) Other reviews, 2) Operator interface, 3)firmware implemented DSP and 4) US made.

After a year of use and learning on my part, I feel I made good choice. As opposed to most Argo users I run mostly SSB. With a dipole at 30 feet and 20 watts, today I worked every DX station I could hear in the ARRL DX contest.

All functions are no more than 2 keystrokes away and their are no nested menus to navigate. DSP bandwidth, bandpass tuning, RIT, XIT and Split functions work flawlessly. The much maligned band slect function is easily gotten used to and use of the band stack and vfo a/b make it moot. My only want after a year of use would be a variable rf gain control in addition to the attenuator and a audio monitor to help set the speech processor without an external receiver.

I highly reccomend the Argo as a small, low power rig.

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2008 21:57 Send this review to a friend
I like this rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm updating my recent review of this rig. I sold my FT-450 and my IC-703. I have a Kenwood TS-480 sitting next to the Argo which I really enjoy, yet the Argo is the rig I turn on and use. The receiver in the Argo is excellent. Don't look at the s meter and the Argo is as quiet as the Kenwood. Use Argo's attenuator and it really quiets down. Adjust the filter -bandwith combinations and you have one slick little rig. I only work cw so my opinion is biased. I would not hesitate to buy an Argo used in the $500.00 price range since they recently discontinued the rig.

K4IA Rating: 4/5 Sep 13, 2008 19:39 Send this review to a friend
Perfect PSK radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one for a year or so. I thought they were overpriced at over $800 new, but buying a used one around $600 made sense. As a QRP CW rig, it worked really well with very nice filtering and great QSK. As a PSK rig, it was outstanding. 20 watts is perfect and all you need are a couple of audio cables to plug in the back. The serial interface integrated well with Winwarbler and DXLab.

Shortcomings? No internal antenna tuner. High current draw on receive would be an issue if you are running on battery.

This and the K2 are the premium QRP rigs. Slight advantage to the Argo on PSK because the audio interface is easier.

WX4O Rating: 4/5 Sep 13, 2008 13:13 Send this review to a friend
Good QRP rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Discontinued now. The reason for the noisy receive
(IMHO) is the lack of a RF gain control. It's wide open all the time. Variable passband is good if you learn to slightly retune it to keep the desired signal within the passband as you narrow it. Overpriced new. Sold mine.