Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Radio Shack HTX-212 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack HTX-212
Radio Shack HTX-212 Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $349.99
Description: 2 meter mobile tranceiver

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack HTX-212.

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2015 12:31 Send this review to a friend
Reliable Rig for the Right Price!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my HTX-212 now for 19 years and it has served me well! I don't understand folks here who review a low end rig and then complain and give it a low number because it doesn't have all the bells and whistles! If you want the bells and whistles, buy the higher end rig! This was purchased as a simple mobile rig. When I decided to change the radio, it sat on the shelf till my base rig went. Now, it has filled in as my base 2 meter FM radio.

What can I say besides it is basic yet reliable, simple to operate and has everything you need on 2 Meter FM.

In my estimation and 50+ years in this hobby, this radio is a solid 5 !
Bill
K1FPV

KJ4I Rating: 3/5 Oct 28, 2015 12:31 Send this review to a friend
Ok but not great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I currently no longer own my HTX-212's but at one time I had a couple of these radios. I purchased them new back in the mid 90's. For what they are they do ok and you can't get much simpler with a radio although I never really liked them much beyond their simplicity. First of all the mics that came with these radios almost always went bad within a year or two usually needing the cord replaced. I had problems with the keypads going bad as well. The other biggie with these radios is intermod. There is no intermod rejection whatsoever in these radios. Out in the rural country you can suffice but even there just barely. Go into any decent size town or city and its continuous full scale reading on the S meter and nothing but intermod static. These radios are useless where lots of other RF is present. Even at home they are very prone to even the smallest amount of intermod. I would say that lack of rejection is the single biggest problem with these radios. The internal speaker tends to squeal if you turn the volume up around 50%. At least in the ones I had. Those coax pigtails on the back were also prone to issues. Radio Shack had a good idea with this radio but fell short in several areas. It is heavy with a solid feel but that can be deceiving. I suppose if you find one of these for a next to nothing price it's worth picking up but other than that I would skip this radio and find something better.

KD8WFU Rating: 4/5 Apr 4, 2015 05:06 Send this review to a friend
Dave KD8WFU  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nice radio for its time only problem i see is the mike cord after time they fra by the radio the plastic seems to be to hard but easy to program and user friendly...keeps up with the big boys

W9RDL Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2014 17:42 Send this review to a friend
They should make them this  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Found a Radio Shack HTX212 here on eham for about $70. Unit showed up in original box in mint condition. I mounted it my 2011 International Prostar mated with a Tram 1180 antenna mounted on the mirror bracket. Instantly got supreme transmission reports.

I really like the ease of programming and lack of menus.
I have a Yaesu FT8800R in my pick-up that I love but I can operate the RD without running off the road or reading the manual.

My two cents. 7+3's
Bob W9RDL

KB3IVK Rating: 4/5 Mar 26, 2014 19:48 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio was given to me as a gift when I first earned my license in 2002. It has been used mobile nearly non stop for 20 years, as the previous owner bought it in 1994. It still works perfectly. Although it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a newer rig, it is very simple to operate and is obviously built like a brick. It is prone to interference in suburban and urban areas, thus the reason for the rating of 4, but in the rural area where I live, it works perfectly. Not sure who built this unit for Radio Shack, but my hats off to whoever did build it. They made one tough and great sounding radio. I will be looking for a second one to buy to have just in case this one finally quits working. Overall a great 2M mobile rig with great audio and a toughness not seen in the more modern rigs, IMO.

VO1XH Rating: 4/5 Feb 10, 2011 19:02 Send this review to a friend
Reliable and rugged  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased my HTX-212 from one of the local hams who was upgrading to an Icom D-star radio.I just wanted a spare 2m mobile for my second vehicle,nothing fancy so I bought it for $50.00.
I was pleased with its performance,good audio and great intermod rejection.
The rig came with the CTCSS tone module from the factory,not an extra accessory as the other manufacturers offered even for radios costing way more,so that was a big plus. There is more than enough mike cable really too long,would have liked to see an illuminated DTMF pad for use in the night. I was a little disappointed that the memory wont store any other frequencies that are outside the 2m band,a bit of a minor inconvenience as I like to monitor the local fire and ambulance departments,the cops have digital encryption so yuu cannot listen to them,I searched the internet for modifications to expand the memory but there are none which was done by Radio Shack so that the radio would not transmit out side the 2m band.Would have liked to see the wide band receiver cover aircraft AM,but my Kenwood TM261A does that well.
Overall,for the price,I got my money's worth and more.This was Radio Shacks first 2m mobile rig back around 1994 and there were a lot of these sold as the price around the $350.00 mark was reasonable,a good little radio and very reliable and rugged.73, Don, VO1XH

KF5ECR Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2010 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this rig off QRZ when I first got my ticket. I think I paid like $40, shipped. What a deal that was. the radio worked great and I always got good reports on it's audio. Unlike some others who have posted about how the radios was prone to inter mod, mine was rock solid..... Even better at rejection than my Icom IC-2100H. Great radio at a great price..... I recommend it to anyone.

WS3Y Rating: 4/5 Jul 2, 2010 06:57 Send this review to a friend
A WARHORSE of a radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought an HTX-212 just after I got my Tech in '94. I haven't been on 2m in my new qth due to topo problems (hills, hills trees and more trees) for about 2 years. Got a new tri-band antenna for 144/440/52 and I needed a 2m to test the antenna.
I go to my "old radio" box (Icom, Alinco, Yaesu and test them all -- they've all been on numerous vacations, in carry-ons, on dash boards, under seats, and stored -- you get the picture), and which one worked perfectly, first time on?
The Radio Shack HTX-212!!! It is a warhorse of a radio. I don't know who built this radio for RS (Kenwood perhaps?), but it continues to work without a complaint (a little mic cord wear).
And it is very easy to use! NO complex programming!
I'd buy another in a heart-beat.
Radio Shack may have forgotten what made them great, but the HTX-212 hasn't -- it is an old, dependable, unfailing friend, unlike "Radio Shock" (or is it "Radio Schlock"?). If ya' get a chance buy one in good shape, don't hesitate. It is a good back-up rig and a not half-bad primary one. It may not have all the bells and whistles, but it is a good, solid, old fashioned 2m radio.
73 to all,
WS3Y

VE3FST Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2010 15:27 Send this review to a friend
I'd buy another one again !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these new in 1994 , I had the normal mic cable shredding problem , but for the price its pretty good . I heard a friend of mine on one and he sounded like he was standing beside me . I went and purchased one the following week . I'll have it here in my ham shack for a very long time . I use to run it with a 26B2 antenna setup at 53' and it had awesome reports.

VA3VY Rating: 3/5 Jul 24, 2009 21:38 Send this review to a friend
Weak  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm assuming one is reading this review because one is interested in buying one. If your looking for a cheap com-link with other hams and you can get it for under $50, it's not a bad bet. Anything else - forget it.

I purchased one new out of the box 15 years ago.

I lived in the country and it wasn't bad but once you got near any population it was intermod hell, so bad in fact, I got rid of it.

Now, with the proliferation of on line auctions there are a lot of non hams selling ham items which are not properly tested.

If a ham is not selling it you probably shouldn't buy it.