Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Radio Shack HTX-212 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack HTX-212
Radio Shack HTX-212 Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $349.99
Description: 2 meter mobile tranceiver

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack HTX-212.

N7HTN Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2007 14:44 Send this review to a friend
No fancy stuff, But....!  Time owned: more than 12 months
12 years ago this was my first new 2 meter rig, liked it because it was a plain jane easy to use rig .
now it's been in service 24/7 for the last 3 years on our packet net with not a bit of trouble ever!!

K5TVT Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2007 22:46 Send this review to a friend
Does what it should  Time owned: more than 12 months
The HTX-212 does not have the bells and whistles of other rigs. It should not.

I want to tell you that my HTX-212 was my first mobile rig, and after about 10 years in mobile service, in two different vehicles... in extremely hot conditions (Texas) it still performs admirably in my QTH as my primary VHF rig.

This workhorse does, as others have mentioned, bench test at higher than the rated 45W. Mine tested at 56 watts. Reaching distant repeaters has never been a problem here.

I can't rate the ruggedness of the connectors, as others have. This rig was in one place in my vehicle for about a decade, with no problems. Today, it is my primary VHF rig to a discone about 15' up.

It works wonderfully.

This little guy doesn't need attention or tweaking. It has performed above and beyond the call of duty and has taken abuse for nearly 15 years, and still runs flawlessly. I did do a test tonight... running high power for about 15 minutes straight. The large heat sink was warm-to-hot to the touch, but it continued to push more than 50W fifteen minutes into the test.

K0SEP Rating: 3/5 May 17, 2007 19:28 Send this review to a friend
Works OK but missing features  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio for about 2 years without any problems. The cheap construction has been noted and is accurate. My biggest complaint is that this radio won't allow normal repeater offsets below 145.3 or above 147.5. It's simplex or nothing. My radio has medium sensitivity, not as good as a Kenwood or Yaesu. Bargan radio at a bargan price - no longer supported by anyone!

AI4WM Rating: 4/5 May 16, 2007 18:59 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radio for the money,  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my HTX-212 used from a friend just to have a spare mobile unit. This ended up in my vehicle since it fit nicely in an unused space. On air audio quality reports have always been good and the RF output is a bit more than the rated 45W. This is a nice easy to use basic 2 meter rig. It scans and has 2 VFOs. It tunes NOAA freqs., but it does not have alert tones. It's cheaply constructed in some areas, like the pigtail for the SO239, cheap feel to the audio gain control, low illumination for day time, and cheap RJ45 on the mic. The jackass that decided to put RJ45s on mics. should have them all....
I'll let you finish. The other bad feature is the mic connector is on the right so if you mount the radio in the center of your dash like I did, it is on the wrong side of the rig and the cord eventually frays at the RJ45 so it must get replaced. Most all rigs use the stupid ill-conceived mis application for an RJ 45 on the mic. so this radio is not alone. Have not experienced heat problems (even here in FL in the summer) on long QSOs.
Radio Shack no longer supports this rig. Then what else don't they support or sell anymore?

KB5LPA Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2007 10:40 Send this review to a friend
Works Well  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this rig off E-Bay because I wanted a small, variable power 2 meter radio. It was sold as NIB which upon receipt I found to be accurate. I like the size, 10/45 watt output, and ease of operation of this radio. It suits my needs for a basic 2 meter transceiver.
I do not particularly care for the modular microphone plug but it is still not a serious problem. Volume from speaker is ok. Backlights are ok even on dim setting. I have operated this radio while using manual to get a feel for operations and the manual and card explain what each setting/button does so it is easy to make it work. Good reports from receiving stations and an unwarranted comment was that the Radio Shack transceiver sounded as good as a Kenwood. I cannot prove that but it was nice to hear the radio was working properly. The HTX 212 is a pretty basic rig but it works just fine.

MRMATT Rating: 2/5 Sep 30, 2006 20:03 Send this review to a friend
no mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a HTX212 that is missing a mic. I have looked every where and cant find on. Radioshack dose not care and will not help me. i just think that its BS to sell a radio but will not help some out who has the radio. If you are going to buy a radio make sure it comes with a mic. If any one has one then email me at mrmattatccd@yahoo.com

KU2S Rating: 4/5 Jul 27, 2005 12:36 Send this review to a friend
Worth looking at  Time owned: more than 12 months
For ease of use, features, and transmit/receive quality, this radio ranks right up there with the best of them. Shabby construction in certain areas, however, bring the grade down on this.

Noted earlier was a fragile coax pigtail connection on the antenna lead. Well, add to that a poorly constructed mount for the frequency selector knob. This is mounted on a small riser board, which in turn is soldered onto the main circuit board. There is NO hardware mounting this knob on the faceplate/bezel of the radio. The result... Moderately light impacts on the front of the radio could very well render the frequency selector knob unuseable. Two repairs to this in the past three years and it's broken again! Granted, this could probably be alleviated with a more judicious selection of mounting locations, but truth be told, it's a poor design decision, and mobile radios should be designed with an eye toward accepting at least a LITTLE shock and impact.

Good transmitter, and receiver, good feature set. Just a shame it's gotta be housed in a package that's so fragile...

KI4JJU Rating: 4/5 Jun 5, 2005 20:00 Send this review to a friend
Solid Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In my brief time with the HTX-212, I have been highly pleased with its operation.

K6RAS Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2004 11:11 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this HTX-212 since it was first released for sale by RS. It's been in my 4x4 since the day I purchased it and has provided excellent service. I typically work repeaters at a line of site distance of 140 miles without difficulty (from the Napa Valley to the Sierra Foothills) and I rely on this little radio for both phone patch (calling home from the valley) and local public service activities. I'd recommend this rig (if it's been properly cared for) to anyone wanting an inexpensive 2 meter rig that will provide exceptional service.

KV4EW Rating: 4/5 Oct 24, 2003 21:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my HTX-212 since 1995 and the only issue I have is that the unit seems to be sensitive to cold weather. In the winter , it needs to warm up before I transmit or it will superimpose a high pitched squeel on the signal. Other that that it is one great radio. I continually get very good comments on audio and signal quality.
The cold nature is the reason for reducing report to a 4.