Reviews Categories | Microphones | Kenwood MC-90 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood MC-90
Kenwood MC-90 Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $conversion 190 GB pounds
Description: Dedicated microphone for Kenwood DSP tranceivers.

You can write your own review of the Kenwood MC-90.

DL2YDP Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2012 11:27 Send this review to a friend
Very good sound  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use my MC-90 with Elecraft K3. It sounds very good and the Vakale are very easy to understand. I am very impressed with this microphone. The mechanics is very well-built!

M0WDE Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2011 09:51 Send this review to a friend
Superb Kenwood Desk Mike  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this mike about a year ago to use with my Kenwood TS-570 DG, previously I had used an MC-60A, which, when first purchased some years before, suffered from slight RF problems which were overcome when the metalwork of the mike's base unit was properly grounded. I have had many many good audio reports using the MC-90.

Although more expensive than the MC-60A, the MC- 90 is a very good easy to use microphone and in straight on-air comparison reports between the two is said by other stations to be by far the better mike. Like many others, I tend to use the "DX" shell all the time and again, reports on the air have confirmed this to have that little bit more punch than the standard "Ragchew" shell. The impedance of the MC-90 is less than the 60A, and doesn't have the pre-amp but I can't honestly say that what is probably a slightly lower output has caused me any practical problems. So far as FM sensitivity goes, on the TS-570, you can adjust the FM microphone sensitivity to either high or low. With the MC-90 you also have by way of adjustment, the further audio settings on the base underside - perhaps Kenwood might have made life a little easier by placing them in a convenient position on top! That is my only criticism of this superb mike though.

All in all, another superb product from Kenwood.

KM6SD Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2010 01:16 Send this review to a friend
Broadcast quality from Kenwood  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a high quality DSP-compatible desk mic. It is supplied with two interchangeable heads. One has a flat frequency response for good overall performance, while the other offers exceptional clarity and an output level characteristic that peaks at around 3 kHz, making it ideal for DX applications. There is also a 3-position (M, V1 or V2) switch on the base to tailor low-range cutoff frequency to suit the operator. The 250 ohm mic terminates to a standard 8 pin mic plug. I constantly get comments about how wide ranging and natural my voice sounds.."like a recording mic" or "FM broadcast DJ" sounding..The perfect match for the TS-950SDX or TS-850/450/690 when using the DSP-100 accessory unit.I am very satisfied and recommend highly !

IZ0FYS Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2009 12:21 Send this review to a friend
the best kenwood mike  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
wow !!
the best mike I have ever used on my kenwood ts2000.
I was wondering if it could be really different from the MC60, or just a waste of money to have the same microphone....
yes they are different, MC60 seems to be a toy once you try 90...
MC90 has a wormer sound, more fidelty, seems to have more basses and more clear on the vocal.
I prefer the DX head, it has more punch on 2-3 khz and no need to use HI BOOST on the TS2000 like with all others dynamic mics.
No RFI with MC90, while I had a lots of problems with 60...
Don't be worried if you read about the low sensibility of this mic respect the others like MC60....Mc90 can drive TS2000 correctly as 60 does.
No FM level problems, you set FM Hi level mic gain and you have a perfect modulation.
This is to all hams who are in dubt to buy it or not: BUY MC90!!!!... you'll love it.

N5EPI Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2008 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Kenwood Did It Right !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got the mic in a package deal with a TS2000. I did not like the mic at first. I was using a Heil HM10 with 4&5 Elms. After I learned the radio a little more and got the band with set right WOW. I put the Heil back in the box and have not used it since. With the DSP settings on the bottom of mic it makes it so easy to rag chew are to get you message over a nosey day. If you have A TS-2000 turn on the TX Mon and listen to the mic and put any other mic on the radio then listen to it. I will not get rid of my MC-90 Great Job Kenwood. 73's N5EPI, Tim.

N2QQF Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2007 23:03 Send this review to a friend
Nice Looking  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This mic is a nice little mike that is well built. The mike has a nice PTT feature with the tone change properties on the bottom of the mic base. It works well with the TS-2000 and has nice readability to it. You are not going to get the full range high fedility broadcast sound from this microphone (ESSB). If this is your plan go back to the drawing board becasue this will not cut the mustard. There is alot of money invested in audio gear to get that sound. I know becasue I am one of those people that are into ESSB, in fact I have almost as much invested in audio as I do in radios. Basically, dont be mislead to thinking this microphone is going to make you sound like Cousin Brucie. The microphone is a nice mic and sounds good but isnt going to give you a high end broadcast quality sound.

IW9CTR Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2006 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great with my ts-2000X, the first one

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2006 09:29 Send this review to a friend
Great microphone for SSB  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Great microphone for my former TS-870S, solid finished, excellent modulation. I havent tried it in FM. For use with the TS-2000 in FM Kenwood could have made it switchable perhaps...

KF9MA Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2006 18:11 Send this review to a friend
Perfect match to the 2000  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not only is this a great looking mic (a darker shade compared to the MC-60A) it is a perfect match to the DSP in the Kenwood TS2000. The weak FM audio doesn't exist on the 2000, you just turn the FM MIC GAIN (menu #41)up to HIGH as stated in the manual. I've had great reports on FM using the MC-90.
On SSB the wide response of the MC-90 works well with the audio settings of the 2000. The mic itself has a 3 way EQ switch on the bottom.
The mike also comes with 2 heads that have different tonal characteristics, one for rag chew and one for DX.
Not seperate cartridges, as in some mikes, but 2 separate "shells" that screw on the end.
I wasn't sure this would make a difference, but it really does.
Another positive is that the MC-90 has a Cannon XLR connector instead of the old 12 pin on the MC 60. This way you can use other mics on the base or use the MC 90 mic with a regular mic cable.
Negatives? None so far.

GI0ZGB Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2002 18:10 Send this review to a friend
HQ DSP MIC  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my MC-90 to use with my TS-870 and it worked superbly well on SSB and a non-starter on F.M. due to the deliberate lack of sensitivity by design. So I had the idea of building a small amplifier which fitted internally giving about 20db boost without any noticable degrading of quality. It worked well on all modes but was still too quiet for comfortable F.M. use having to close talk to stop stations with no volume control whinging about quiet audio. Works extremely well into Behringer EQ or similar quality unit with or without amplification. Has small three position switch to subtly filter Kenwood selected voice frequencies, use an EQ instead for a tailored response. Considering the basic specification and the fact that it's only useful on SSB, it's difficult to justify the expense, but when you've got a TL-922 roaring away in the background or a noisier XYL threatening divorce proceedings that's where it pays dividends. It truly compliments the DSP machine giving beautiful audio with the unwanted extraneous sounds drastically attenuated and completly removed when using an EQ noise gate.