Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | M2 EB-432 "EggBeater" Satellite Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for M2 EB-432 "EggBeater" Satellite Antenna
M2 EB-432 Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$159.00 Retail
Description: Omni Directional, Circular Polarization antenna designed for satellite operation.

You can write your own review of the M2 EB-432 "EggBeater" Satellite Antenna.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2010 15:32 Send this review to a friend
Pricy, but Great Antennas  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
While the price for both is now $500 or more new, and the support from M2 is foggy at best, these two antennas have become classics in the satellite comms world for ham radio. There are designs for home-built versions that are similar, but for those of us that are time and $$ short, these work very well. I was fortunate to find both used on this site for $250 delivered. I have the Icom IC-910H and they seem built for each other. Local repeaters are full quieting, and the various easy birds are simple to reach. These are great gateway antennas to the world of hamsats.... I recommend them highly. de KK8ZZ

K6ATZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2009 20:08 Send this review to a friend
Have Worked Great for 10 Years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the EB-144 and the EB-432 for about ten years now, in multiple locations and configurations, and am very happy with them.

They went together easily and last forever. I have used them to work LEO satellites with and without preamps, no problem at all. I put them high in the air for terrestrial contests and pump 160 and 100 watts through them with great results.

I have the radial kits and haven't found the need to remove them for earthbound work, they do just great as-is. For the latest configuration see my "antenna farm" links on http://www.k6atz.us

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2009 19:23 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have both the 2M and 70CM antennas with the radial kits.I guess I can't fathom why anyone would give these antennas a 0 or 1 of 5 rating.

I had no trouble straightening out the rings. Perhaps the ones who did are the same ones we see struggling with simple tasks on TV commercials??

They perform excellently for both satellite and terrestrial communications.

WA1GZY Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2009 14:50 Send this review to a friend
Great Attic Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This little bugger actually works well for satellite commuications from inside my attic (due to outside antenna restrictions)...defying conventional wisdom that weak satellite signals do not penetrate rooftops.

I strongly recommend adding a Good GAAsFET preamplifier at the antenna feedpoint. Mine is by SSB Electronic GmbH.

W6CJ Rating: 1/5 Sep 20, 2008 16:03 Send this review to a friend
Poor Documentation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the 144 and 432 antennas, with ground plane kits for entry-level terrestrial SSB and SATCOM. Had to spend way too much of my time straightening the kinks out of the copper-plated, #12 steel wire M2 uses for the crossed loops in each antenna. The copper wire for the 144 antenna was shipped in a section of PVC irrigation pipe and was particularly difficult to get the sharp bends and kinks out of. The documentation was weak and confusing in places. Hope they perform.

WV4I Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2006 03:01 Send this review to a friend
Terra Firma and Sat Ops  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned both the EB-144 and EB-432 with ground plane kits for several years now, bought used. I suppose upwards of $400 for a pair of these new, with ground plane options, is a bit pricey, and yes M2's phone manners could use some refinement. But then you need to get used to abuse from some of the folks that frequent online trading sites for that matter... Anyway, these antennas are horizontal on the horizon and circular overhead. Until I put up horizontal beam for 2M SSB, got excellent performance from EB-144 on 2M SSB. Ditto for the few 70CM SSB QSO's made with my EB-432. Now have horizontal beam for that band also. As these antennas only handle 800W, I had to switch to M2 yagi for 2M SSB ops. Had made many UO-14 FM QSO's when that bird was still QRV, so these antennas work well for Sat ops as well. One note, I believe ground plane is recommended for better overhead Sat ops, while no ground plane is preferred for better horizon (e.g. SSB/CW) ops, re another review.

WO8USA Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2006 12:06 Send this review to a friend
Good performance, high price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have both the EB 432 and its 2m cousin, and use them for satellite communications. They are easy to get together, and I have luck contacting most satellites above 25 degrees. The price detracts from the 5 rating---operations a 5, price a 3.5???

But---if you don't have the time to buld and just want no-hassle operation and minimal infrastructure, these antennas work!

I also have Icom preamps on both. A must for satellite work.

I have used these for local communications too. I would not recommend them for this but they work amazingly well for that too.

Got mine from R&L electronics, gret service.

Chris WO8USA

N3PKC Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2005 22:20 Send this review to a friend
Turned out to be well worth the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got one used from eham classifieds and I must say I'm impressed. Mine's got the radial kit and base mount. I'm very happy with the job it does listening to satellites after being frustrated with non-satellite antennas. Seems very sharp for ground stations too. For a compromised satellite antenna, you won't be disappointed. Even at $160 it's a steal for the real deal m2.

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2005 14:02 Send this review to a friend
All purpose devices  Time owned: more than 12 months
Like KY6R, I also have the pair of M2 eggbeaters with a 70cm preamp and radial kits. They also are my every day antennas. The only hard part about assembling the 2M unit was straightening out the loop wires.

Dennis / KG4RUL

K4NR Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2005 13:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this antenna and an EB-144 (both with the radial kits) for satellite use. After realizing I was not hearing the low power FM birds very well, I added a receive preamp at the antenna. I used LMR-400 as the feedline. The results are far better than expected. I can work FO-29 on CW below the horizon. On AO-51 the bird needs to be 10 to 15 degrees above the horizon to be heard. I purchased the antenna used and when I had a problem I received a prompt response from M2. I had sent in the VSWR curves and the antenna's designer emailed with suggestions. I quickly repaired the antenna and placed it back in service. M2 even sent me a new set of wire loops at no cost. While a yagi would be better, this antena does a solid job for an "omni-directional" antenna.