Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | M2 EB-144 Help

Reviews Summary for M2 EB-144
M2 EB-144 Reviews: 13 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $120
Description: 2 Meter Eggbeater antenna
More info: http://www.m2inc.com

You can write your own review of the M2 EB-144.

K6ATZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2009 20:05 Send this review to a friend
Have Worked Great for 10 Years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the EB-144 and the EB-432 for about ten years now, in multiple locations and configurations, and am very happy with them.

They went together easily and last forever. I have used them to work LEO satellites with and without preamps, no problem at all. I put them higher in the air for terrestrial contests and pump 160 and 100 watts through them with great results.

I have the radial kits and haven't found the need to remove them for earthbound work, they do just great as-is. For the latest configuration see my "antenna farm" links on http://www.k6atz.us

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2009 19:22 Send this review to a friend
No Problems!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have both the 2M and 70CM antennas with the radial kits.I guess I can't fathom why anyone would give these antennas a 0 or 1 of 5 rating.

I had no trouble straightening out the rings. Perhaps the ones who did are the same ones we see struggling with simple tasks on TV commercials??

They perform excellently for both satellite and terrestrial communications.

WA1GZY Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2009 14:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Attic Perfomer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This little bugger actually works well for satellite commuications from inside my attic (due to outside antenna restrictions)...defying conventional wisdom that weak satellite signals do not penetrate rooftops.

I strongly recommend adding a Good GAAsFET preamplifier at the antenna feedpoint. Mine is by SSB Electronic GmbH.

W6CJ Rating: 1/5 Sep 20, 2008 15:58 Send this review to a friend
Poor Documentation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the 144 and 432 antennas, with ground plane kits for entry-level terrestrial SSB and SATCOM. Had to spend way too much of my time straightening the kinks out of the copper-plated, #12 steel wire M2 uses for the crossed loops in each antenna. The copper wire for the 144 antenna was shipped in a section of PVC irrigation pipe and was particularly difficult to get the sharp bends and kinks out of. The documentation was weak and confusing in places. Hope they perform.

WV4I Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2006 02:59 Send this review to a friend
Terra Firma and Sat Ops  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned both the EB-144 and EB-432 with ground plane kits for several years now, bought used. I suppose upwards of $400 for a pair of these new, with ground plane options, is a bit pricey, and yes M2's phone manners could use some refinement. But then you need to get used to abuse from some of the folks that frequent online trading sites for that matter... Anyway, these antennas are horizontal on the horizon and circular overhead. Until I put up horizontal beam for 2M SSB, got excellent performance from EB-144 on 2M SSB. Ditto for the few 70CM SSB QSO's made with my EB-432. Now have horizontal beam for that band also. As these antennas only handle 800W, I had to switch to M2 yagi for 2M SSB ops. Had made many UO-14 FM QSO's when that bird was still QRV, so these antennas work well for Sat ops as well. One note, I believe ground plane is recommended for better overhead Sat ops, while no ground plane is preferred for better horizon (e.g. SSB/CW) ops, re another review.

N9BC Rating: 4/5 Apr 25, 2006 21:03 Send this review to a friend
Nice little antennas  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I would have to say I was pretty happy with these antennas. Of course they are not going to be as good as a beam, but they do work well for what they are. I had mine up only 15ft off the ground and was still able to make contacts just fine. The only real negitive thing I can say is if you buy new you are going to pay lots of $$$. So I would look for used if you can.

WO8USA Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2006 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Easy on air, but high priced  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have both the EB 144 and its 70cm cousin, and use them for satellite communications. They are easy to get together, and I have luck contacting most satellites above 25 degrees. The proce detracts from the 5 rating---operations a 5, price a 3.5???

But---if you don't have the time to buld and just want no-hassle operation and minimal infrastructure, these antennas work!

I also have Icom preamps on both. A must for satellite work.

I have used these for local communications too. I would not recommend them for this but they work amazingly well for that too.

Got mine from R&L electronics, gret service.

Chris WO8USA

WR1H Rating: 1/5 Feb 21, 2006 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Look at something else.  Time owned: more than 12 months
DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS ONE !

Antenna, actually cheaply built. I expected more from M2, but like many others, I have learned that keeping high prices does not mean a quality product.

Poor documentation. Poor performance, Over priced.

Look for something else to buy.

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2003 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have to second KY6R's experience. I also have the same setup with the 2M and 70CM antennas along with a 70CM preamp both at 17Ft. I also use both antennas for terrestrial comms. Best 2M & 70CM DX contacts were from Charleston, SC to Waycross, GA, 176 miles to the same station, within minutes of each other.

VA2DV Rating: 4/5 Dec 9, 2003 13:36 Send this review to a friend
Good but expensive !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have my EB-144 since about two months.It is
mounted in my attic at about 25' from ground.
I had satellite work in mind when ordering it
but my operation has been limited to terrestrial
SSB since i got it from AES.Works very well for
it's size and easier to use than a small beam due
to the omnidirectionnal pattern.
The antenna is way overpriced but it's a quality product.