Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | M2 EB-144 Help

Reviews Summary for M2 EB-144
M2 EB-144 Reviews: 15 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $120
Description: 2 Meter Eggbeater antenna
More info: http://www.m2inc.com

You can write your own review of the M2 EB-144.

VE6ND Rating: 4/5 Nov 16, 2016 15:19 Send this review to a friend
Good satellite antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My rating of 4 does not reflect the company but how long I've had it and used it which is about 2 days.
Quality - 9 out of 10
Assembly - 10 out of 10
Usability - 10 out of 10
Electrically - 10 out of 10
I bought both the EB-432 and the EB-144, I like them and tried them on EO-79 with the satellite at 45 degrees max el I could copy the beacon without a preamp and that's using a 2510 transverter and a 817.

K0JEG Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2015 19:44 Send this review to a friend
Easy sats are easy!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First, let me say that I live in a valley. To the north and south I can't see anything below 12 degrees or so. To the east about 8 degrees, and to the west I can see the whole way down to 0 degrees. So even though I have limited "vision" I still wanted to work satellites. The more I considered the cost of an Az/El rotator that could be easily computer controlled and had feedback, the more I realized that it would be a waste of money. I already own an Elk Log periodic as well as an Arrow, so I knew that an omni directional antenna would be less effective than a beam, but without a rotator you'll need an extra hand to wave around the antenna.

I've read about eggbeaters for years, but because most people dismissed them I hesitated. After I realized my issues with the horizon, I just figured I'd give them a try. I also added an ARē receiver for the 432 side.

All I can say is that I'm amazed by the results. As soon as they are above the horizon I can hear them. I do need to run higher transmit power than I used to with the beams, but that's not the end of the world. Because I don't need to screw around with aiming antennas it makes what used to be a hectic time as simple as any other QSO now. Adding a foot switch for PTT and full doppler software makes it super easy to run the log and the radio.

So if you have a less than ideal QTH you might take a close look at these. Mē sells them as a pair with a cross-buck type mounting system, which make it a little simpler still.

K6ATZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2009 20:05 Send this review to a friend
Have Worked Great for 10 Years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the EB-144 and the EB-432 for about ten years now, in multiple locations and configurations, and am very happy with them.

They went together easily and last forever. I have used them to work LEO satellites with and without preamps, no problem at all. I put them higher in the air for terrestrial contests and pump 160 and 100 watts through them with great results.

I have the radial kits and haven't found the need to remove them for earthbound work, they do just great as-is. For the latest configuration see my "antenna farm" links on http://www.k6atz.us

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2009 19:22 Send this review to a friend
No Problems!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have both the 2M and 70CM antennas with the radial kits.I guess I can't fathom why anyone would give these antennas a 0 or 1 of 5 rating.

I had no trouble straightening out the rings. Perhaps the ones who did are the same ones we see struggling with simple tasks on TV commercials??

They perform excellently for both satellite and terrestrial communications.

WA1GZY Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2009 14:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Attic Perfomer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This little bugger actually works well for satellite commuications from inside my attic (due to outside antenna restrictions)...defying conventional wisdom that weak satellite signals do not penetrate rooftops.

I strongly recommend adding a Good GAAsFET preamplifier at the antenna feedpoint. Mine is by SSB Electronic GmbH.

W6CJ Rating: 1/5 Sep 20, 2008 15:58 Send this review to a friend
Poor Documentation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the 144 and 432 antennas, with ground plane kits for entry-level terrestrial SSB and SATCOM. Had to spend way too much of my time straightening the kinks out of the copper-plated, #12 steel wire M2 uses for the crossed loops in each antenna. The copper wire for the 144 antenna was shipped in a section of PVC irrigation pipe and was particularly difficult to get the sharp bends and kinks out of. The documentation was weak and confusing in places. Hope they perform.

WV4I Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2006 02:59 Send this review to a friend
Terra Firma and Sat Ops  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned both the EB-144 and EB-432 with ground plane kits for several years now, bought used. I suppose upwards of $400 for a pair of these new, with ground plane options, is a bit pricey, and yes M2's phone manners could use some refinement. But then you need to get used to abuse from some of the folks that frequent online trading sites for that matter... Anyway, these antennas are horizontal on the horizon and circular overhead. Until I put up horizontal beam for 2M SSB, got excellent performance from EB-144 on 2M SSB. Ditto for the few 70CM SSB QSO's made with my EB-432. Now have horizontal beam for that band also. As these antennas only handle 800W, I had to switch to M2 yagi for 2M SSB ops. Had made many UO-14 FM QSO's when that bird was still QRV, so these antennas work well for Sat ops as well. One note, I believe ground plane is recommended for better overhead Sat ops, while no ground plane is preferred for better horizon (e.g. SSB/CW) ops, re another review.

N9BC Rating: 4/5 Apr 25, 2006 21:03 Send this review to a friend
Nice little antennas  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I would have to say I was pretty happy with these antennas. Of course they are not going to be as good as a beam, but they do work well for what they are. I had mine up only 15ft off the ground and was still able to make contacts just fine. The only real negitive thing I can say is if you buy new you are going to pay lots of $$$. So I would look for used if you can.

WO8USA Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2006 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Easy on air, but high priced  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have both the EB 144 and its 70cm cousin, and use them for satellite communications. They are easy to get together, and I have luck contacting most satellites above 25 degrees. The proce detracts from the 5 rating---operations a 5, price a 3.5???

But---if you don't have the time to buld and just want no-hassle operation and minimal infrastructure, these antennas work!

I also have Icom preamps on both. A must for satellite work.

I have used these for local communications too. I would not recommend them for this but they work amazingly well for that too.

Got mine from R&L electronics, gret service.

Chris WO8USA

WR1H Rating: 1/5 Feb 21, 2006 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Look at something else.  Time owned: more than 12 months
DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS ONE !

Antenna, actually cheaply built. I expected more from M2, but like many others, I have learned that keeping high prices does not mean a quality product.

Poor documentation. Poor performance, Over priced.

Look for something else to buy.