Reviews Categories | Receivers: Vintage amateur | Hallicrafters SX-28 Help

Reviews Summary for Hallicrafters SX-28
Hallicrafters SX-28 Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $Under 200.00 in 1940
Description: General Coverage receiver with Ham band bandspread

You can write your own review of the Hallicrafters SX-28.

W7MBR Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2012 08:12 Send this review to a friend
Quality 40's Receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
WW2 era radio receivers are easily some of the best built and designed receivers ever made partly due to the exacting demands of the war effort. The SX-28 is no exception and to say the components are of inferior quality simply shows one's ignorance of these period receivers. Among the picky AM group, the SX-28 is highly prized and considered one of the best sounding and built AM receivers available. That's why their prices remain quite high. Certainly not a toy and it can be a challenge to repair. But a well built classic it will always remain.

9V1JP Rating: 4/5 Sep 7, 2012 20:05 Send this review to a friend
Great looking receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just acquired a cosmetically good looking and working SX-28A in a Hammarlund Cabinet but manager to acquire the correct cabinet in fair cosmetic condition. My intention is to recap and replace the resistors in the radio and tune it up to specs. I intend to pair it up with with a Hallicrafters HT 37 though they were not borne couples of the samw era. Will update my review once I finished the job. They will occupy a special spot in my house.

KQ6IG Rating: 3/5 Dec 25, 2007 13:13 Send this review to a friend
Good Design/Bad Construction  Time owned: more than 12 months
Let's try and seperate objectivity from folklore, and nostalgia. The SX-28 is a well designed receiver. It has a wide selectivity range, an effective noise limiter, and a beefy broad warm sounding output. It was hi-fi for the period. However, if you're not handy with the soldering iron, stay away from this beast. The quality of parts used is very poor. So far I have replaced or rebuilt all paper capacitors, all power resistors, many smaller resistors, output transformer, one tube, and the power transformer in mine. Things just keep failing. Before you tell me that it's expected of a receiver this age: My AR-88 is of the same vintage and has only had one tube replaced in 60+ years. All other components are oroginal. Other failings the SX-28 has is it's lack of sensitivity above 20m, compared to other high-end receivers of the period, and the fact that many components are difficult to reach. Once you get all the component issues straightened out, the receiver can be fun to operate. It works well enough to operate on AM/CW today if you don't mind a little drift. Plus, the audio is pleasing to listen to. Gotta love the art deco design too!

Omar

K9EUI Rating: 4/5 Dec 8, 2007 19:09 Send this review to a friend
One of my favorites  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a SX-28A for several years. I was lucky enough to pick up several of these in various condition (some for parts only). I replaced most all the caps in it except for the hidden ones in the RF area but since it works fine I have no desire to operate on it further.

One thing I did do, which I have done to other receivers worthy of it (meaning good stability and reasonable selectivity & sensitivity) was to add a product detector and improved AGC. This allows the unit to be operated on CW/SSB with the RF gain full on and the S-meter working properly. Listening to guys on SSB with good audio makes them sound like they are AM broadcast.

KB3LFD Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2007 21:18 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I agree with the other posts here, Hallicrafters
designed and built a great receiver in the sx-28.
Great looking receiver, a real eye catcher,and
definately a "hands on" radio!
The audio thru the pm-23 speaker is just wonderful.Listening to the oldies stations is like having your own time machine. Big band music
from the 30's& 40's or replays of old radio shows, MAGIC! After a short warm up stable,senstive. Will tune ssb with little effort. The crystal filter,ant trimmer work well. Selectivity is very good also.Built like a
tank. Will be using the 28 with a viking II in
the shack for my am station.
As others here have said,any radio of this vintage will likely need some refurbishing, not a
project for the faint of heart! Knowing my limitations,had mine redone by the folks at Antique Radio Restoration & Repair in CT.
Will not part with this radio, a deffinate Keeper!!

73 KB3LFD

WA6IPD Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2004 06:24 Send this review to a friend
No other receiver can match the SX-28  Time owned: more than 12 months
An excellent technical description of the SX-28 may be found here.

The SX-28 was one of the best designed radios of the late 1930s and just the look of the radio was what people expected a radio to look like, itís a radio very easy to fall in love with. Its looks were so impressive that it was used exclusively in WW II movies. Complementing its aesthetics was its performance. The main tuning and bandspread controls were velvet smooth and the audio was superb which even today makes it a wonderful radio to listen to. If this radio sits in your living room it will automatically draw the attention of any guests who will be in absolute awe. No other radio ever built can compare to the beauty and performance of this radio.

KC0SHU Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2004 14:03 Send this review to a friend
Best of Breed  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I recently acquired an SX-28A in nominal working condition. I recapped all the electrolytics and a few others, replaced the power cord with a 3-prong, and put it to work. This thing is simply marvelous. The engineering and especially the construction workmanship for the time frame (1944) are astounding. It was built to last 100 years and it will. Sensitivity is great, both AM and BFO selectivity are good, and the audio quality beats any new technology I have yet heard! Though it was well before the time of sideband product detectors, the BFO is good enough to work SSB. It's definitely not hands off operation! You are turning knobs and dials the whole time--a real radio! I have several boatanchor receivers in and about my shack, and the SX-28 is the most fun radio to operate I have ever seen.

W4TYU Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2003 10:09 Send this review to a friend
Very good receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a SX-28A receiver which I think was post WWII construction. On CW it did a very good job for me on 80 and 40 meter CW. I did not find much use for the crystal filter but it was available. Later, I picked off the 455 IF by wrapping a wire around a pin of the 6K8 (?) and feeding it to a Low Frequency command set used as a Q5er. Wonder selectivity from the combination.

KA5N Rating: 4/5 Jun 8, 2003 09:23 Send this review to a friend
Good Receiver in its Day  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned an SX-28 in the late 50's. I had used a friend's rig and he had one and I found one in good shape in a ham store. Good sensivity and fair selectivity for the time. You must remember that this was a 1930's design and used the two dial tuning approach: one dial for main tuning and a lock to hold the dial on the little dot to put the bandspread in the correct range. Then the dial on the right side was used for "calibrated" bandspread. I would not buy one today without realizing that a lot of work would have to be done to return this old receiver back to near original condition. You would also build your muscles lifting this heavy box around. But there is something about using an old receiver and thinking back when this was about as good as it got!

N3IBX Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2002 18:16 Send this review to a friend
Great Old Receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you've never heard the superb hi fidelity audio come out a pair of 6V6's in PP using a base boost then you're in for a real treat. It'll make any mediocre AM station sound like they're in your living room. The Hallicrafters SX-28 will do just that. For a receiver made and sold in 1940-1941 they're just incredible. Selectivity is adequate when using the included crystal filter, sensitivity is even good on 10 meters. Stability is a little better than what you'd expect from a radio over 60 years old and entirely satisfactory. The SX-28 uses a 500 ohm audio output so I recommend getting the Hallicrafters/Jensen PM-23 speaker with it.
I operate AM exclusively and am amazed by the performance of this receiver. Definitely my favorite.
If you find one you may want to invest a bit of time and money to recap it with Sprague "orange drops". It's not an easy proposition and please be advised of this beforehand.
If you're a seasoned pro or just starting out you won't be dissapointed with the SX-28!