Reviews Categories | Microphones | Heil Classic Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Classic
Heil Classic Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $229
Description: A new classic microphone with a "Broadcast" - wide band element and either a HC4 or HC5 element
More info: http://www.heilsound.com/Classic.htm

You can write your own review of the Heil Classic.

WB5CYS Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2007 10:28 Send this review to a friend
Superb Audio Reports  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am using my Classic HC5 with my Icom IC-756Pro II and I am getting just outstanding audio reports. Friends I have talked to for years tell me that I sound absolutely natural with crisp and clean audio. I am not running any rack gear, just the adjustments available in my radio.

My mic gain is at about 11 o'clock and all other settings are as suggested on the Heil web page - see information at this link:

I know others seem to be having problems with this mic and their Icom radios; maybe I just got lucky, but I've had nothing but superb reports with mine. It replaced an SM-8 and I sure wouldn't go back based on the reports I am getting now.

I wish I knew why it seems that some work and some don't with Icoms, but mine is a top performer and I'm gonna stick with it.

KE7GWY Rating: 1/5 May 17, 2006 01:17 Send this review to a friend
Noisy and low gain  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I liked the cool retro look and recommendation by the Ham Radio Outlet salesman. So I tried the Classic Pro 4,5 and "IC" version on my Icom IC-7000. All had low gain and poor s/n ratio when compared with the stock ICOM mike. It was easy to check the microphone performance using the ICOM "Voice Mic rec" feature by playing back the recorded audio and comparing it to the stock ICOM microphone. Even with the gain at 100% the noise was high and modulation was poor. I tried all combinations of impedance and filter settings but the results was consitantly poor. I continued to get a mid level rumble about 20 DB down that definitely came from the Microphone and was not audible with the stock micropone.

I talked to Steve at Heil and was given an explanation that the Icoms had high tolerance components and poor audio design and that results would vary from radio to radio. The bandwidth switch in the back of the mike improved the s/n ratio, but cut the gain even further. Modulation was only 25% when talking very close and laud. After four trips to Ham Radio Outlet I'm returing the microphone.

Perhaps this micropone would work better on other radios, but I would not recommend this microphone for any ICOM radio.

73 Roger W1RMS

NE5C Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2006 03:49 Send this review to a friend
Classic with MP1000 Mark V Field  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was blessed, to find a used PERFECT Heil Classic which I added to my Yaesu 1000MP Mark V Field and simply set the EDSP Menu exactly as Bob Heil lists on his home site. I tell you the very next morning when I came on the air I instantly recieved "RAVE REPORTS" from all the operators that I speak with. I haven't had to add equalizers, Rack gear, or anything else, and absolutely NO - RF Problems either. I highly Reccomend this Mic with the YAESU 1000MP...Thanks Bob Heil for Fine Business. 73's and God Bless all DE N5JFJ in Texas.

YO3HMA Rating: 0/5 Jan 25, 2006 10:50 Send this review to a friend
Disaster  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this microphone through Aesham ( good company ), they send me the wrong connection cable for my Icom 756 PRO III, the finish of this Classic microphone is very bad, screws were stripped, electronic components seem cheap, and the HC-4 element was not wired !!!! I can not believe this microphone has got so many 5/5, I dont care about the money but I will never think to buy a Heil product again. Do NOT buy this microphone !!!!

KG2CQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2005 18:24 Send this review to a friend
Great Desk Mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the Heil Classic now for over 12 months and it has worked asume. What a great Mic Heil has made. I agree with the screw thing but other then that the mic works great on my IC-775DSP. wow, it is unreal the mic sounds so good when you hear it. Well, what else could I say but buy one and try one I did. Mark KG2CQ 73's.

KB4QLZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2004 08:03 Send this review to a friend
Sweet........  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I recently purchased the Heil Classic with the HC-5 element. This is fantastic microphone! The mic is connected to a Yaesu FT-1000MP Mark-V, and sounds sweet! I have the mic mounted on the Heil Boom. The DSP settings are key factor. Set it up the way Bob says, and then do some on-air test with folks who know what you sound like in person. Do not rely on the monitored audio from your transceiver. Tweak the settings as needed.

Iíve got many Heil products, and they all work GREAT!

KA4KOE Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2004 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Better than ICOM stuff  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After pricing an SM-20 desk mike (expensive) and seeing what you get, I purchased a Classic and boom mounted it on my desk last January for my ICOM 756PRO. The Classic is only a few dollars more.

Sounds really great on the PRO if you set it up the way Bob Heil recommends.

K9KJM Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2004 01:07 Send this review to a friend
The Best!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Heil Classic for it's old time collector looks. Since I have several other Heil
microphones and have had good luck with audio quality, I expected high quality from this one also.
The first thing you notice when you remove the Classic from it's box is it's weight! This is no Toy! It looks AND feels like it was made in 1930 or so.
I had trouble getting the vanity callsign plate
put together. An email to Bob Heil quickly resolved the matter when he called me on a weekend and quickly sent the parts at no charge.
This microphone makes any hamshack look much
more professional!
I was very surprised to get audio quality reports stating "Much better" than the Heil Goldline I was comparing it to! (And the Goldline got great reports) I had expected most to say "not much difference".........
I used an ice pick to align the parts to re install the callsign plate, Which worked great.
The only thing I would ask to be changed about this product would be to also include a sheet of
"tips" on how to install the screws in the callsign plate using a pick or something, and tips on how to install the call letters. (Dont try it when they are cold, And be careful trying to heat them up!)
This is a microphone you will be very proud to own!

K7FD Rating: 4/5 Jan 13, 2004 02:42 Send this review to a friend
The Wolfman would have loved it...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The screws that hold the vanity plate were stripped from the factory, so I can relate to the other post about the screws. Made it a real joy to unfasten! Nonetheless, I like the mic. It looks very cool...especially with XERB emblazoned across the top. The Wolfman would be proud!!

I use mine w/ a Classic Drake B Line and it sounds like a million bucks...

73 John K7FD

KA4KOE Rating: 4/5 Jan 13, 2004 01:23 Send this review to a friend
Screw problems  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Tried to remove the flag head. The screws were in so tight I rounded one off. Did manage to get it apart. Seems the threads may have had a burr on them. Emailed Bob and he sent me some new screws to reassemble this thing. Otherwise my experience has been good.