Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-930S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-930S
Kenwood TS-930S Reviews: 72 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1,499.00
Description: Classical Masterpiece
More info: http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/kenwood/ts930/ts930.htm

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-930S.

N6BIZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2017 15:55 Send this review to a friend
AVVID  Time owned: more than 12 months
Send ur 930 to AVVID
U can thank me later old man

KC6USM Rating: 4/5 Feb 5, 2017 19:10 Send this review to a friend
Display error   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a ts 930s I just bought on ebay. The tx/ rx
Display is 2khz off frequency on all bands. Tx
Power is 110w. Power supply is 28v,not overheating.
Usb/ ,LSB seem ok. .2uV Sen or better all bands.
Tx Mike audio Hasystem squeal. Very little audio
Output. Ant tuner works fine, TX is on and off, not
Consistent. Am is not working. Fans ok. Need help.
Want to get this masterpiece working again. Nice
Radio.... thank you... Gary Kc6usm

K4GNO Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2015 14:40 Send this review to a friend
True Classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently had my TS930S repaired and restored with the addition of the PIEXX Digital board and new power supply componants. Even after 31 years, the receiver sounds better than many I hear in today's rigs (including a much newer Kenwood that I own.). On CW it's a dream to use. The layout and ease of operation alone make it outstanding.

N5OP Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2015 11:41 Send this review to a friend
An Excellent Rig, Especially When Updated  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my TS-930S since 1984, purchased new. It has the full compliment of filters plus the INRAD roofing filter. I have updated the power supply with the W6NL mods and replaced all the PS capacitors. I haven't needed to replace the PS with a modern switcher (the internet has various examples). It also has the PIEXX board installed, which allows computer control of almost everything but mode and filter selection. Mine also has the original ATU and it still works, though its matching range is limited. Mine has never been happy on 12 m, but it works well enough on all the other bands.

It has a fine receiver and a good transmitter. However, it does produce a fair bit of transmitted phase noise about which nothing can be done. I use mine mainly on CW but the transmit audio is very high quality, too.

The rig is reasonably easy to fix if anything is broken, though specialized parts may be hard to come by. It's also easy to align, and it will need alignment at this age. If you want a good transceiver that comes close to the rx performance of current, modern day receivers, the TS-930S with the INRAD roofing filter is tough to beat for the price.

ZL1BAK Rating: 4/5 Nov 7, 2014 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Great older radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a big fan of Kenwood hybrids and the 930 is almost as good as my 830 to use.I like the fact that it is a decent size and has no menus to set up etc. I get good reports on my audio and the receiver is very good. I have the matching sp930 speaker and use an mc50 microphone. This combination makes a really nice home station.

PA3FPV Rating: 3/5 Sep 24, 2014 06:45 Send this review to a friend
Blown MRF485 drivers  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I fixed my TS-930's PA which had its MRF485 drivers blown and their 22 ohms base resistors burned out. After that I also gutted out the original power supply ('though it was not broken apparently) and replaced it with a new Phoenix Quint 24V/10A SMPS which was supplied by Paul PA2VC, and which is similar to the one John W3AFC used.

Fortunately I did not just drop in my Eleflow MRF485 replacements to start with... Since the power supply had not been broken, nor seemed to have ever been broken, I first had to investigate what else caused the drivers to blow.

I cut out the shorted D5 zener, replaced the burned out 22 ohms base resistors with new ones and put in a pair of cheap BD135s. By then I had not changed anything to the circuitry yet and I was just curious to see what would happen when I would activate the "Send" switch. And so I did -without any drive, obviously.
The BD135s, well, the 22 ohms base resistors actually, literally burned out in front of my eyes instantly!!

While the power supply was not erroneous, the most likely reason for the drivers to burn out is that they get 28.5V (or some other too high voltage) at their bases, I figured. But everything was happening so fast, that I could not measure anything.

I decided to renew the capacitors and resistors in the feedback circuits (and put in the second pair of BD135s). I switched to "Send" again and nothing started to smoke!
I can hardly imagine that those feedback circuits can go wrong, but this is what I experienced. The old capacitors didn't show leakage on an ohmmeter; the resistors had lost their original value (but not dramatically).

Now I applied some RF drive: instantly the stuff burned out again. I suppose the problem had initially been solved by renewing the feedback circuits. The second pair of BD135s however, were "hanging in the air"; not cooled whatsoever. So maybe they now broke down for that reason. I don't know.

At this point I started to do the boring through hole fixes as described in Service Bulletin 886. You may have heard about them too. Along the way I replaced the 723 regulator by a new one and Q6, which didn't seem broken. I put in a 5.1V zener for D5. For what's it worth; in my opinion any zener in this position is worth nothing. At least it can never protect the drivers, so can anyone tell us what's the point in having a zener there!?

By this time I changed the circuitry a little in order to try some cheap FETs as drivers. I still didn't want to risk my pair of MRF485s yet. First I used a pair of IRF820s which were good up to 14MHz (100W output). Then I used a pair of IRF710s which were better above 14MHz. But the output was not satisfactory. I got about 30W on 28MHz. But at the least nothing was burning and this was the first time I actually did have true output!

With hesitation I changed back the circuitry and put in the valuable MRF485s. As expected they didn't blow without drive. I adjusted their bias for about 60mA. So after that I applied drive and.... they still did not blow! The PA now delivers 100-120W on all bands as per the manual.
The original power supply was running very hot - even on receive only. From what I read about it that's normal, but I built in the new Quint anyway. We will see what will happen in the future; so far I've made several short QSOs on the TS-930 which seems to be fixed now!

Considerations
---------------------

I am not sure for what reason the original MRF485s broke down. I just bought the TS-930 in this condition. The power supply was not broken.
So what had gone wrong?

PA0MBJ, an electronic design engineer, examined the TS-930's PA and he came about with the following I freely translated into English:

"There is something odd about that MRF485. Its datasheet states that its Vce-max is 35V so the 28.5V supply voltage seems to be acceptable. But in transformer loads the peak voltage will rise! There will be a superposition of the supply voltage PLUS the AC peak voltage. That combination is very likely to reach about 50V, which is of course by far no longer safe for the MRF485.
I don't intend to know better than Kenwood but I don't understand... To me it smells of a blunder in the design."

If he is right, all MRF485s in both the TS-930 and TS-940 are unsafe. So they will all break down sooner or later, no matter how fine the (new) power supplies is running.
Hopefully the Eleflow replacements are more robust than the original Motorola ones.
Maybe mine broke down because of a leaky feedback circuit. If they will blow again, I would first replace the feedback circuits again. But it is an unlikely failure. If everything else seems to be good too, I would consider using cheaper 2SC1969s or so and get 15V from a 78T15 regulator.
But let's hope for the better

K9EUI Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2014 08:15 Send this review to a friend
power supply problem?  Time owned: more than 12 months
If your 930 suddenly dies (which can happen with long key-down times at high power) It is probably due to an overheated supply.

Check the fan on the back. It should be sucking outside air into the rig, not pulling hot air out as mine was. Reversing the fan leads is all it takes.

best rig I have had!

N6BIZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2014 15:43 Send this review to a friend
TERRIFC  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
W3AFC WAS MY INSIRATION IN RESCUING MY 930... I HAD MINE REPAIRED AND I BY ACCIDENTI BLEW UP THE AVR BOARD... MINE IS A 4MIL SERIAL NUMBER...
I ENDED UP BUYING A SURPLUS PHONIEX CONTACT PS...
I WENT FOR BROKE!!!I GUTTED EVERYTHING THE 930 HAD FOR A PS AND I MEAN EVERYTHING... I HAD TO REPACE THE DIGITAL BOARD WITH A PIEEX BOARD TOO... I EVEN GOT RID OF THE RESISTORS IN THE FAN CAGE AND REPLACED THE 4 RESISTORS WITH THESE LITTLE VOLTAGE REGULATOR BOARDS FROM CHINA 5 FOR $6.32 SHIPPED... ADDED 2 24 V FANS RUNNING CONTINUOULY AT 17V VIA THE REG BOARDS... I SET THE VOLTAGE OUTPUT FROM THE PC AT 25.5V... THE V OUT FROM THE NEW RESISTORS TO POWER THE REST OF THE 930 AT 17V FOR THEM ALL ... THE 930 WILL RUN ALL DAY AND NIGHT AND IS COLD!!! NO HEAT!!! I LOVE IT!!! NOW WHEN I LOOK BACK AT IT, I COULD DO THIS TRANSFORMATION IN LESS THAN 2 HOURS, ITS THAT SIMPLE , THATS IF YOU HAVE THE GUTS TO DO WHAT I DO ...YOU MAY CONTACT ME N6BIZ@YAHOO.COM OR W3AFC... HES THE GENEIUS ...

W3AFC Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2014 09:03 Send this review to a friend
Follow-Up to my Previous Review  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a follow-up to my previous review in which I said that the Phoenix Contact Quint switching PS "gave" a little compared to the OEM PS.

It appears that the "give" is actually the ALC kicking in. This happens when I'm pushing the rig on a band where my wire antenna has a SWR of 2:1 or higher. If I persist, the dial lights flicker, although the Ops on the other end of the QSO say they don't notice anything unusual - just great, strong audio. Two other HAMS who did they same conversion noticed this effect also. One of those HAMS tore apart a working 930S just to try my conversion, which made me a bit nervous. But his rig works great, and he loves the end result also.

My contacts all say the rig has a clean, loud signal, and two different peak-reading wattmeters show up to 120-watts PEP output. The rig gets through pileups with ease. One DXpedition said that while others were louder, my clean, clear audio was what he noticed so I got the nod on that round. Since I performed the PS conversion, my digital board acted up so I pulled it and performed each step in the Kenwood service bulletin and now the radio sings again.That took less than an hour.

I wrote a 14-page "white paper" with photos and schematics, outlining how to do the Phoenix PS conversion for any 930S, including the later models with the "split voltage" AVR boards. Anyone who wants a free copy can send a note to my QRZ W3AFC email address, and I'll send a return email with it attached as a PDF.

ZL1PWR Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2014 19:48 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Love my 930 sugar will never sell it mine is trio badged and a late 6 mil serial number only trouble I had was with the atu and was a easy fix only needed a grub screw tightened fantastic receiver and always gets great audio reports if it develops a fault in the future I will have it fixed its that good.