Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-16010 200W Random Wire Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-16010 200W Random Wire Tuner
MFJ-16010 200W Random Wire Tuner Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $49.95
Description: 1.8-30MHz variable L-network random wire antenna tuner
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-16010

You can write your own review of the MFJ-16010 200W Random Wire Tuner.

K5TTE Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2014 06:47 Send this review to a friend
Stood the test of time  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one at Quement Electronics back
in 1983. It has served well in a variety of
random wire set-ups.
There have been but a few instances of wires
difficult to match. If I cut the wire for a minimum
quarter wavelength on the lowest band,
I could get a good match , 80 through 10m.
A decent counterpoise seems to keep
away the stray RF.

As an aside, I've been a happy MFJ
customer with my limited purchases
over the past 35 years. This little box
often made life a little simpler on HF.

KD0NFY Rating: 3/5 Jul 19, 2013 20:07 Send this review to a friend
not great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really wanted to like this tuner because of its small size. But it's not nearly as good for tuning random wires as the MFJ 901B. The matching range isn't as wide and it seems like the 901B has less loss because received signals are hotter when it's tuned.

F4FGB Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2013 01:10 Send this review to a friend
My best friend/P  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hello, i use it since 2 years ago, juste before a used ldgZ-100 which was capricious, now no matters, no questions before start in Portable activities, i use with wire near 10m long in trees, it give 1.1 maxi 1.4 ROS 40m to 10m, wire so short for use on 80m but it doing the job also. I have do DX with it during my last /p worked HS0 on 10mhz at 30w niice surprise. 73 Romain

KJ4NWZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2011 05:31 Send this review to a friend
Great ATU Bang for My Buck!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My purchase of the MFJ-16010 random wire antenna tuner arrived over the weekend and I pressed it into service yesterday. With my Yaesu FT-857D, a FT-MTR meter to monitor SWR and a 50' random wire terminated with a banana plug I was able to work a few QSOs from a local park with 100w power. I had previously tried to use the LDG Z100+ with a random wire without success. Not bad for the $70 I paid for the MFJ-16010.

WB6ZRP Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2011 06:57 Send this review to a friend
Good little tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
It will tune most length wires to within 3:1, then the auto tuner in modern radios will tune the rest out to 1:1. Many times it will tune a wire to 1:1. Install a small SPDT switch in the back to switch the capacitor to each side of the inductor and you don't have to unscrew the conectors all the time to make it work on different impedences. L network tuners are great for random wires like this little gem.

W6USC Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2010 23:12 Send this review to a friend
Nice Product and Size  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
picked one up from r&l electronics which were great in shipping fast, hooked a 40 foot piece of wire and it tuned great from 20 meters and below. was at 1.6 to flat 1.1 very nice. made few contacts and i was pleased on its 3 minute setup very portable, the wire was on a jackite pole about 30 feet. opened it up and it was built and soldered real good i highly recomended this wire tunner for portable and antenna restricted housing. 73 bruno

NG9D Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2010 15:52 Send this review to a friend
Handy for Portable/Field Use  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The MFJ 16010 is a well build L-network tuner and enables easy field operation using random length end fed wire antennas. I have used this ATU on 80 meters with a 75 ft wire, just over wavelength (see how it worked at http://www.youtube.com/user/NG9D#p/u/6/JPdtN6AtXmI ). On 20meter I have used it to match an End Fed Half Wave (EFHW) about 35 ft long (see http://www.youtube.com/user/NG9D#p/u/13/JD-DjQuL7bk ). The tuner will match the simple end fed wire antennas to the low impedance of the transmitter and do not need grounds or counterpoise elements which makes the set-up handy for portable and field operation. 73 de NG9D . .

KB2NAT Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2010 16:47 Send this review to a friend
Does What It Should  Time owned: more than 12 months
I currently have the 16010 set up with a long wire and a Grundig Satellite 800 Receiver. I have used it for QRP/portable operations, also. It's size makes it very handy, and if the operator can't get a low SWR, he can just reverse the cables to the ant/xmtr. The unit does exactly what you'd want with no fuss or extra doo-dads. I bought mine at a hamfest for $5 or so...well worth having it on hand, even if it's just in case.

G4VVQ Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2010 01:41 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi all, Fred in England, just bought one of these units, can't believe how well it works, thought it was a bit pricy for what it is though,(65/$65), it's so small it fits in the palm of your hand, i have been having trouble with a Chinese Smart Tuner, CG 3000 tuning 160 mts, this thing just done it easy, in fact i got about 1-1 on all the HF bands, they don't put an earth connection on it as such, but for testing purposes what i did is got a PL-259 outer nut, the threaded bit only, that takes thick coax, so has a big hole in the middle, with my big soldering iron i got it hot enough to run some solder onto it, then soldered a wire with crocadile clip onto it, that's the earth, and another lead simalar, but with a Banana plug on, that fits right through the middle of the PL 259 nut and into the socket, so you then have both connections, connect one to wire and the other one to ground, simple...and it works..cheers all..Fred in UK, check me on qrz dot com.

N5HNY Rating: 4/5 Jan 22, 2010 01:08 Send this review to a friend
Handy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I don't know where the one I have came from. I didn't buy it. It has the screws and not the pop rivets. I used it a lot in the 80s. It helped keep me on the air from apartments back in the 80s. I smoked it once on 160 but it still kept on ticking. The inductor can get warm and it's not that efficient, but it does a great job for qrp to 100 watt power levels.