Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-16010 200W Random Wire Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-16010 200W Random Wire Tuner
MFJ-16010 200W Random Wire Tuner Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $49.95
Description: 1.8-30MHz variable L-network random wire antenna tuner
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-16010

You can write your own review of the MFJ-16010 200W Random Wire Tuner.

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2016 20:08 Send this review to a friend
It works!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this for a while and really never put it to use. This weekend I went out in the field and operated QRP using an HB-1B. On its internal battery it puts out about three watts. I hung a 45 ft wire in a pine tree and put this little tuner to use. To my surprise it worked amazingly well. I was able to get the swr zeroed out quickly. I made numerous contacts on 40 and 20. I was able to work the east coast. The band conditions were poor. I will make sure this tuner is with me whenever I operate portable. I have always enjoyed MFJ products and have found them to be a good value.

LB6BG Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2015 07:36 Send this review to a friend
There is always a way  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am often travelling around with a FT-875, visiting friends or staying at a motel. With the MFJ-16010 I have always found a way to get qso's in the log, mainly with indoor wires. This morning I worked N5DX on 40m CW at the first attempt. 50 watts CW and about 7 meter wire through the room. Nice to have :-)

K5TTE Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2014 06:47 Send this review to a friend
Stood the test of time  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one at Quement Electronics back
in 1983. It has served well in a variety of
random wire set-ups.
There have been but a few instances of wires
difficult to match. If I cut the wire for a minimum
quarter wavelength on the lowest band,
I could get a good match , 80 through 10m.
A decent counterpoise seems to keep
away the stray RF.

As an aside, I've been a happy MFJ
customer with my limited purchases
over the past 35 years. This little box
often made life a little simpler on HF.

KD0NFY Rating: 3/5 Jul 19, 2013 20:07 Send this review to a friend
not great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really wanted to like this tuner because of its small size. But it's not nearly as good for tuning random wires as the MFJ 901B. The matching range isn't as wide and it seems like the 901B has less loss because received signals are hotter when it's tuned.

F4FGB Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2013 01:10 Send this review to a friend
My best friend/P  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hello, i use it since 2 years ago, juste before a used ldgZ-100 which was capricious, now no matters, no questions before start in Portable activities, i use with wire near 10m long in trees, it give 1.1 maxi 1.4 ROS 40m to 10m, wire so short for use on 80m but it doing the job also. I have do DX with it during my last /p worked HS0 on 10mhz at 30w niice surprise. 73 Romain

KJ4NWZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2011 05:31 Send this review to a friend
Great ATU Bang for My Buck!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My purchase of the MFJ-16010 random wire antenna tuner arrived over the weekend and I pressed it into service yesterday. With my Yaesu FT-857D, a FT-MTR meter to monitor SWR and a 50' random wire terminated with a banana plug I was able to work a few QSOs from a local park with 100w power. I had previously tried to use the LDG Z100+ with a random wire without success. Not bad for the $70 I paid for the MFJ-16010.

WB6ZRP Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2011 06:57 Send this review to a friend
Good little tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
It will tune most length wires to within 3:1, then the auto tuner in modern radios will tune the rest out to 1:1. Many times it will tune a wire to 1:1. Install a small SPDT switch in the back to switch the capacitor to each side of the inductor and you don't have to unscrew the conectors all the time to make it work on different impedences. L network tuners are great for random wires like this little gem.

W6USC Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2010 23:12 Send this review to a friend
Nice Product and Size  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
picked one up from r&l electronics which were great in shipping fast, hooked a 40 foot piece of wire and it tuned great from 20 meters and below. was at 1.6 to flat 1.1 very nice. made few contacts and i was pleased on its 3 minute setup very portable, the wire was on a jackite pole about 30 feet. opened it up and it was built and soldered real good i highly recomended this wire tunner for portable and antenna restricted housing. 73 bruno

NG9D Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2010 15:52 Send this review to a friend
Handy for Portable/Field Use  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The MFJ 16010 is a well build L-network tuner and enables easy field operation using random length end fed wire antennas. I have used this ATU on 80 meters with a 75 ft wire, just over wavelength (see how it worked at http://www.youtube.com/user/NG9D#p/u/6/JPdtN6AtXmI ). On 20meter I have used it to match an End Fed Half Wave (EFHW) about 35 ft long (see http://www.youtube.com/user/NG9D#p/u/13/JD-DjQuL7bk ). The tuner will match the simple end fed wire antennas to the low impedance of the transmitter and do not need grounds or counterpoise elements which makes the set-up handy for portable and field operation. 73 de NG9D . .

KB2NAT Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2010 16:47 Send this review to a friend
Does What It Should  Time owned: more than 12 months
I currently have the 16010 set up with a long wire and a Grundig Satellite 800 Receiver. I have used it for QRP/portable operations, also. It's size makes it very handy, and if the operator can't get a low SWR, he can just reverse the cables to the ant/xmtr. The unit does exactly what you'd want with no fuss or extra doo-dads. I bought mine at a hamfest for $5 or so...well worth having it on hand, even if it's just in case.