Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-16010 200W Random Wire Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-16010 200W Random Wire Tuner
MFJ-16010 200W Random Wire Tuner Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $49.95
Description: 1.8-30MHz variable L-network random wire antenna tuner
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-16010

You can write your own review of the MFJ-16010 200W Random Wire Tuner.

M3XPR Rating: 4/5 Dec 21, 2007 07:05 Send this review to a friend
Good value and compact  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up my MFJ 16010 new for £40 to use with a Yaesu FT817.
I am mostly a VHF man so most of the time this tuner is used for SWL.

Its nice and small, light and can easily be put into a bag or coat pocket.
Having read about build quality issues form this product in Radcom the first thing I did was open the case and check everything was OK. It was in fact the build quality is nice and sturdy.
I use mine with a 10.5, 15.5 and 26.5 metre long wires fitted with banana plugs as per MFJ manual.
I donít know why this tuner does not have a terminal post instead or a UHF socket seems crazy.
The tuner works but using any one of my three wires and a ground spike I could not get the SWR below 1.7:1 on TX this is not ideal. On RX it works really well giving a much better S meter reading than a wire alone (no tuner)
My MFJ 901B works a lot better but of course it cost more and is bigger and heavier.
So Would I buy it again I think so however I think that more experenets with wires is required it I am going to use it more for TX.

Cheers and 73.

M3SKF Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2006 01:57 Send this review to a friend
WORKS FINE FOR ME  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I HAVE OWNED MANY MFJ PRODUCTS IN THE PAST & HAVE A COUPLE OF TUNERS AT THE MOMENT.THE MFJ-16010 IS A GREAT TUNER I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS AT ALL WITH THIS KIT IT DOES WHAT IT SAYS TUNES RANDOM WIRE & DOES IT WELL.RANDOM WIRES ARE NOT THE BEST TWIGS IN THE WORLD BUT THEY DO WORK I HAVE HAD MANY DX CONTACTS WITH SUCH A SET UP THANKS TO THIS TUNER,WELL MADE DOES A GREAT JOB FOR SIMPLE WIRE SET-UPS.

N1RIK Rating: 3/5 Jun 22, 2006 14:42 Send this review to a friend
It works, but not sure about effiency  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this thing for $25 on Ebay. Not expensive at all. I'm able to get 1:1 SWRs from 160m - 10m and 1.5:1 and sometimes 1:1 on 6 meters. However I can hear alot better than people can hear me. My AEA Isoloop on 20m outperformed my 30 ft longwire 7 ft above the ground. My loop is only 5 ft above the ground. The locals on 6m hear me much better than my 6m dipole. The unit is also pop rivted and looks very fragile. Due to HF performance compared to my Isoloop and the manufactured quality of the box, I'm giving it a 3.

VE6XL Rating: 2/5 Apr 15, 2006 23:42 Send this review to a friend
Give it a pass  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this tuner to use for portable operation on 160 or 80m.

I tried several configurations and followed the manual directions, however was unable to tune anything effectively.

The tuner works just barely. Based on the cost I would spend a bit more and purchase a full function tuner. MFJ has several others in their line up which can be set up to tune random wires.

VE6XL
www.ve6xl.ca

KW4N Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2005 13:42 Send this review to a friend
Hard to beat!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a cost effective little tuner that you can almost put in your pocket. No quality issues. Very practical for tuning random wires, especially in the field. Running QRO at the base I use it as a tuned input to my amp for improved efficiency. Try finding a box, drilling the holes, getting the parts, etc and making one, then you'll see why it's hard to beat.
73's, Dave,KW4N

ON4VP Rating: 4/5 Aug 1, 2004 02:14 Send this review to a friend
handles power well, matches a lot of random wires  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I took this little box to many places. Normally I take my 30 ft fiber pole with me for portable ops on holidays, attach a piece of wire (27ft) and run it into the 16010. I use a small jumper cable to connect the 16010 to the rig (FT897).

This combination works great, I've been matching 80 up to 10 meters in a few clicks and turns. I always tune with 10 watt and when dipped, I power up to 100wt ot 35 wt for digi modes.

So far all times the little box supprised my with the way I got easy results. This setup is not a contest setup, but I worked some nice dx and for holiday purposes it serves me well.

The only thing I noticed from time to time is the RF feedback into my mic (cord) occasionally in one band or so due to the close setup and the antenna wire running only a feew feet from the rig. The antenna starts at the 16010 so it radiates pretty strong nect to your gear.

I made the ground connection (described by others) but this didn't help me, using a grnd wire to match against. It could but I never noticed any improvement there.

Anyway, I rated it 4 because all things are made for improvement, I'm satisfied with it performance, it does match a lot of random sized end fed wires, most of the time without any radial ground system, so ideal for travel or portable setup. It handles the 100watt very well and is very small to fit anywehere in a bag togheter with a pieve of wire.

Recommended

W6TH Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2004 16:01 Send this review to a friend
A winner for me.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the MFJ-16010 with a 90 foot length of wire 9 feet above the ground and was very happy how it performed for me. With this 90 foot wire the tuner tuned all bands from 160 through 10 meters.I worked quite a few dx contacts on the 12/10 meter bands. Also had no problem making contacts on other bands with the same 90 foot antenna at 9 feet above ground. I also used this tuner to tune my 1/4 wave 20 meter vertical antenna to 15 meters and making this antenna 3/8 wavelength. It was placed at the base of the antenna and gave me gain and a low angle of fire for dx with just 100 watts of power output. A great "L" matching network and will do wonders for a Slinky antenna mounted vertical for field day. I have used this tuner as a toy and had much fun playing with oddball wires and seems to be a winner and not to leave home without it. No it is not for sale.

K3ANG Rating: 4/5 Feb 27, 2004 23:34 Send this review to a friend
Worked great for me.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This little tuner works and works well. I still have the one I bought back in the late 1970's. The xcvr was a Tempo One (@250 watts) and had no trouble at all with the '16010. Worked all bands. 'Cept 20 would not load easily for me. That had more to do with the length of the random wire I was using. But no problem on the other bands. The wire ran from the shack to a pole near the back fence, @ 90 feet long up @ 25 feet. Not very high at all. But I worked the world with that config. Got my first 75 meter DX with it. HK0FBF on San Andreas Island. I still have the card. The bandwidth on 75 was *very* narrow giving the length of the wire, but the '16010 let me load it no problem. Get one. You will not be sorry.

M5TAW Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2003 15:29 Send this review to a friend
Does great job  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I also use mine with my FT 817. I have 1/2 wave wire lengths made up for all bands 80 - 10m. As the name suggests (random wire tuner), I probably did not need to be so precise with the antenna lengths, but it certainly works fine. I use it for backpacking & holidays in conjunction with a 9 metre fishing rod. I hang the antenna in a way suitable for operation type, i.e horizontal at low level for local NVIS work on 40/80m. Or vertical for DX on the higher bands. Plenty of DX worked with just 5 watts. Good cost effective multiband tuner.

WB4WTN Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2003 15:52 Send this review to a friend
Doin' a good job so far.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Someone at MFJ must read these reviews. I bought mine at the Shelby Hamfest and the connectors are mounted with screws and not pop rivets. I strung about 60 feet or so of wire out the window and up to a pine tree, fired up the FT-817 and was able to get good match per the SWL reading on the 817. Running the full 5 watts, I checked into the Maritime Mobile Service Net on 14.300 and received a 59 from alt net control in Wisconsin. I'm in Georgia, near Atlanta.

Bill WB4WTN