Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-570D(G) Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-570D(G)
Kenwood TS-570D(G) Reviews: 183 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1,100
Description: A compact, affordable, full-featured HF transceiver.
More info: http://kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/ts570dg570sg.html

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-570D(G).

WB0QOA Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2016 19:57 Send this review to a friend
If I can hear them!, I can work them  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I did a lot of research before making this purchase. Admittedly I have a strong Kenwood bias. I used to love Heathkit but they are no more. My first rig as a technician many years ago was a little battery powered portable 2 meter rig followed by a TS-520, another 2 meter mobile unit and now the TS-570D.

I bought mine used on eBay after several months of watching YouTube videos, reading reviews here and talking to lots of users.

Initially, I was sold on the TS-480 but the split configuration did not work for me. I also gave a serious look at the TS-590 but it had a bit of a price spike on the used market and got pushed out of my meager budget.

I was pretty thrilled to get the rig, the matching power supply and the signature K-wood mic and even a TS-520 matching speaker. It was a great package deal.

It's important to describe the antenna for the station. It's the 4 band Hustler 4BVT if memory serves and I will be writing about it as well in a separate review. My setup for the vertical is not ideal. It's about 3 feet from my house, next to a Dogwood Tree and with not a single radial.

The vertical is mounted on a steel pipe down about 2 feet with 2 - 4 foot copper ground rods attached to the base of the antenna. It's all connected to the rig through 100 feet of RG 58.

So cutting to the chase, I had not been on the air on HF in 30 years. I set the rig and antenna up on a Saturday in March here in North Carolina and on Sunday fired up the rig for the first time.

My first contact was a pileup around a station in the Czech Republic. The next one right after was Canary Islands and a Brazilian station. What I found was the internal ant tuner was superb yielding 1.0 to 1.5 to one SWR across EVERY band 10 to 160 meters. That doesn't mean these bands were open but if I could hear a station in the 5by7 to 5by9 signal, I could work them. Note these are all SSB Phone contacts.

So in short, I am ecstatic! There is a bunch I have not figured out but the bottom line is this little rig rocks!!

KB9BVL Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2015 08:46 Send this review to a friend
A great, simple radio for anyone  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a great, simplistic radio that is ideal for the beginner, as well as the ham that doesn't want(or need) all the bells and whistles of a newer, high-tech radio. I purchased this radio from a fellow ham that upgraded to a TS-590SG this past spring. For what you can find these for used, you can't find a better radio for the price. Kenwood radios are very intuitive for me, and the TS-570D is no different. Menu layout is easy to understand and manipulate, audio is clean. Signal reports are good even off my 10-80 Meter OCFD. I love the size of it also. Side by side, when compared to my TS-850SAT, the TS-570D is only about 60% the size of the 850, and about half the weight. It will make a great radio for portable/field day or for traveling when combined with a Pelican case. This is a great rig, if you have the chance to get one, do it. I don't think you will be disappointed.

SA3BYC Rating: 4/5 Jul 28, 2014 05:21 Send this review to a friend
Very nice radio, over average performance to it's price.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought mine a month ago and use it as second radio. It's a rather large radio in a medium sized package. After having used it extensively for DX, ragchewing and my first contest (IOTA) must say I'm very pleased with it.

Easy to get to know and operate, with both original handmic and my Heil HC-4 headset it sounds great.

During the IOTA contest in heavy Qrm and crowded bands you can of course notice that it's not as good as a FT-1000 or similar, but doing well anyway. I will add a narrower SSB filter and hope that will help a bit. Not using this radio for CW, so the lack of space for more than one extra filter is not a problem. But it's a real shame that Kenwood didn't provide at least space for 2 extra filters.

I think this will be a radio staying in my schack for a long time :)

/Johan

W8NLZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2014 14:51 Send this review to a friend
Your Best Value in this Price Class  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is Review #180, so most everything has been said about the pros & cons of the TS-570. Briefly:

(a) This is a basic transceiver. It is not a contest engine; a DX chaser, or a swiss army knife. But it does basic CW and SSB well.

(b) The current price for a clean used one is in the $500-$700 range. It's hard to touch any other modern radio with similar performance for that price.

(c) I bought mine as a travel radio. But I find myself using it afternoons on the back deck even though I have a whole stable of big iron back in the shack. It's a fun radio! Easy to transport. I carry mine in a Pelican case. Works well with an AGM battery.

(d) It is a Kenwood. It just oozes quality and professional appearance. Like a finely appointed automobile, it is a pleasure to drive. Kenwood owners know what I mean.

My summary: as a travel radio, back-up radio, or starter radio, I think you will like the TS-570. I am amazed at how much I enjoy it.

K8TJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2013 17:12 Send this review to a friend
A FINE rig IF you know how to use it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The TS-570DG is a super fine rig on CW IF you know how to use it. First off, install a 500 or 270HZ CW filter. Set menu item #50 (RX EQ)to FP and you will have one kick butt CW rig. If your using it on SSB set menu item 50 to Hb.I have an early DG model and LOVE it.

KE0Q Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2013 17:39 Send this review to a friend
Excellent HF Rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a TS-570D(G)as a standby radio. For the past couple of weeks I've put it through the paces. It's easy to use and I've consistently gotten good audio reports just using the hand mic. Although its receiver and filtering can't match my TS-590S, it's a solid HF rig that will probably give me many years of service.

N5IVZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2013 13:05 Send this review to a friend
Knock your socks off receiver !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you are looking for a mid range priced radio, the TS 590s ia an excellent buy.
I spent some time using the manual before i "got on the air"...Love the filtering and ease of operation.
First impression: Good looking solid performer...
Kenwood, thanks again for another grand slam radio...
I owned the TS 520, TS 830, TS 130, TS 440 and TS 850. The 590 is the class leader...
Hope to enjoy this one for years to come...

K9SJB Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2013 07:59 Send this review to a friend
Money well spent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sold my TS-940 to downsize my foot print and found a TS-570D at a good price. The 570D offers quite a few of the same features that the 940 did in a much smaller package. Kenwood in my opinion has the best receiver out there. My Yaesu FT-897D pales in reception performance in comparison to the TS-570D. Fewer menus too which is always nice. If I had the money I would have purchased a new TS-590 but the XYL has set some spending limits. The TS-570 also look nice next to my TS-711 2M rig. Bottom line, best $500 that I've spent in some time.

WD1R Rating: 4/5 Mar 24, 2013 18:53 Send this review to a friend
Excellent starter rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Although I have been licensed for quite some time I never bought or used a HF rig, I had stuck to VHF/UHF.

When looking around I wanted something that would allow me to play with phone, allow me to learn CW with minimal equipment, and to do as much digital as I could. I thought I wanted a "shack in a box" which included 2m.

I can honestly say I haven't missed 2m at all (I have an HT for that) and have very much enjoyed this radio. So far, it has done everything I have asked it to do, and then some. I have pulled in stations with a G5RV Jr antenna that others could not, even with their superior antennas. I know it isn't me making the different, it has to be the radio.

The receive audio quality is excellent, reports on my transmit audio are always complimentary. It interfaces with HRD and my SignaLink easily, as well as JT65-HF.

If I had to change something? I wish it had USB, and I will probably install the voice recording module and 500hz filter for CW. But if you mean what would I change as far as the manufacture of the radio? Change the orange backlight to blue maybe? Other than that I can't think of anything.

Now take this with a grain of salt since it is my first ever HF rig. If it blew completely up would I buy another one? Without hesitation.

W8DEP Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2013 20:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had the TS-570D for about 10 years and decided to sell it. Within 2 weeks I had bought another one. This is the best radio I have ever had. The receiver is excellent. If I can hear them I can work them. I operate CW most of the time and run about 50 watts. The internal tuner is also excellent. I use a Carolina windom made by Radio Works and a Cushcraft MA5B yagi. There are probably better and more expensive radios but the TS-570D works best for me.