Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-570D(G) Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-570D(G)
Kenwood TS-570D(G) Reviews: 181 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1,100
Description: A compact, affordable, full-featured HF transceiver.
More info: http://kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/ts570dg570sg.html

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-570D(G).

SA3BYC Rating: 4/5 Jul 28, 2014 05:21 Send this review to a friend
Very nice radio, over average performance to it's price.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought mine a month ago and use it as second radio. It's a rather large radio in a medium sized package. After having used it extensively for DX, ragchewing and my first contest (IOTA) must say I'm very pleased with it.

Easy to get to know and operate, with both original handmic and my Heil HC-4 headset it sounds great.

During the IOTA contest in heavy Qrm and crowded bands you can of course notice that it's not as good as a FT-1000 or similar, but doing well anyway. I will add a narrower SSB filter and hope that will help a bit. Not using this radio for CW, so the lack of space for more than one extra filter is not a problem. But it's a real shame that Kenwood didn't provide at least space for 2 extra filters.

I think this will be a radio staying in my schack for a long time :)

/Johan

W8NLZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2014 14:51 Send this review to a friend
Your Best Value in this Price Class  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is Review #180, so most everything has been said about the pros & cons of the TS-570. Briefly:

(a) This is a basic transceiver. It is not a contest engine; a DX chaser, or a swiss army knife. But it does basic CW and SSB well.

(b) The current price for a clean used one is in the $500-$700 range. It's hard to touch any other modern radio with similar performance for that price.

(c) I bought mine as a travel radio. But I find myself using it afternoons on the back deck even though I have a whole stable of big iron back in the shack. It's a fun radio! Easy to transport. I carry mine in a Pelican case. Works well with an AGM battery.

(d) It is a Kenwood. It just oozes quality and professional appearance. Like a finely appointed automobile, it is a pleasure to drive. Kenwood owners know what I mean.

My summary: as a travel radio, back-up radio, or starter radio, I think you will like the TS-570. I am amazed at how much I enjoy it.

K8TJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2013 17:12 Send this review to a friend
A FINE rig IF you know how to use it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The TS-570DG is a super fine rig on CW IF you know how to use it. First off, install a 500 or 270HZ CW filter. Set menu item #50 (RX EQ)to FP and you will have one kick butt CW rig. If your using it on SSB set menu item 50 to Hb.I have an early DG model and LOVE it.

KE0Q Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2013 17:39 Send this review to a friend
Excellent HF Rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a TS-570D(G)as a standby radio. For the past couple of weeks I've put it through the paces. It's easy to use and I've consistently gotten good audio reports just using the hand mic. Although its receiver and filtering can't match my TS-590S, it's a solid HF rig that will probably give me many years of service.

N5IVZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2013 13:05 Send this review to a friend
Knock your socks off receiver !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you are looking for a mid range priced radio, the TS 590s ia an excellent buy.
I spent some time using the manual before i "got on the air"...Love the filtering and ease of operation.
First impression: Good looking solid performer...
Kenwood, thanks again for another grand slam radio...
I owned the TS 520, TS 830, TS 130, TS 440 and TS 850. The 590 is the class leader...
Hope to enjoy this one for years to come...

K9SJB Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2013 07:59 Send this review to a friend
Money well spent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sold my TS-940 to downsize my foot print and found a TS-570D at a good price. The 570D offers quite a few of the same features that the 940 did in a much smaller package. Kenwood in my opinion has the best receiver out there. My Yaesu FT-897D pales in reception performance in comparison to the TS-570D. Fewer menus too which is always nice. If I had the money I would have purchased a new TS-590 but the XYL has set some spending limits. The TS-570 also look nice next to my TS-711 2M rig. Bottom line, best $500 that I've spent in some time.

WD1R Rating: 4/5 Mar 24, 2013 18:53 Send this review to a friend
Excellent starter rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Although I have been licensed for quite some time I never bought or used a HF rig, I had stuck to VHF/UHF.

When looking around I wanted something that would allow me to play with phone, allow me to learn CW with minimal equipment, and to do as much digital as I could. I thought I wanted a "shack in a box" which included 2m.

I can honestly say I haven't missed 2m at all (I have an HT for that) and have very much enjoyed this radio. So far, it has done everything I have asked it to do, and then some. I have pulled in stations with a G5RV Jr antenna that others could not, even with their superior antennas. I know it isn't me making the different, it has to be the radio.

The receive audio quality is excellent, reports on my transmit audio are always complimentary. It interfaces with HRD and my SignaLink easily, as well as JT65-HF.

If I had to change something? I wish it had USB, and I will probably install the voice recording module and 500hz filter for CW. But if you mean what would I change as far as the manufacture of the radio? Change the orange backlight to blue maybe? Other than that I can't think of anything.

Now take this with a grain of salt since it is my first ever HF rig. If it blew completely up would I buy another one? Without hesitation.

W8DEP Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2013 20:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had the TS-570D for about 10 years and decided to sell it. Within 2 weeks I had bought another one. This is the best radio I have ever had. The receiver is excellent. If I can hear them I can work them. I operate CW most of the time and run about 50 watts. The internal tuner is also excellent. I use a Carolina windom made by Radio Works and a Cushcraft MA5B yagi. There are probably better and more expensive radios but the TS-570D works best for me.

WH7DX Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2013 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Update Review  Time owned: more than 12 months
Update my review after a year+ and still as happy as ever.

Picked up an Amp and a Hex Beam and I'm working around the world. I love the audio, smooth dial, audio reports I get back with the MC-60 mic on VOX and simple controls.

I run about 75W out into the 811H and get about 600 or so total watts - which is usually plenty... so many other factors like location and antenna.

Perfect starter radio and I'm glad my Elmer WH6R recommended it.

KENWOODUSER Rating: 4/5 Sep 19, 2012 11:47 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What a fantastic radio. The performance/price ratio is just awesome. I rated it a 4 out of 5 for one reason, which I will discuss in a moment. However, coming up from a TS-430s, I am very happy with the radio.

The reason I ended up with a TS-570d(g) was because I wanted to upgrade from a TS-430s, which worked flawlessly for me, and with which I made many hundreds of contacts.

The 570d(g) cost little more than I paid for my 430, but the 570 provided more and better features. So I am going to provide this review from the perspective of someone who likes and upgraded from a TS-430. In other words, if you have TS-430s and you are thinking of upgrading, this review might help you.

The TS-430s is one of the easiest to use radios one can find. It's easy to be up and operating in moments on the 430. I found it to be a reliable (yes, reliable), stable, and easy-to-use radio. I really liked it and made hundreds of DX contacts with it. Most contacts were CW but some were SSB as well. I never used it with an amp or with a computer.

Fast forward a thousand contacts or so and it became clear that I needed some additional features, mainly the ability to easily interface the radio to a computer for logging purposes. I spent a lot of time looking at similar radios, such as the TS-440s, etc, but didn't find any radios in the price range I was looking for which had the features I wanted. I tried several times to buy several 440s and others but was not successful. I then saw a 570d(g) semi-locally. I was not at all familiar with this radio but picked it up for $515, which included the mic, a very nice iambic CW paddle, and shipping. It came in the original box and looked like it had hardly been used.

I spent an hour or two in the manual and really haven't gone back to the manual since. I put it on the air and started experimenting and was amazed at how easy-to-use the radio was. I was making contacts immediately. After using it for awhile, I realized I didn't miss the TS-430 anymore.

Some things I really like:
0. Dynamic range. According to 2004 Sherwood Labs test data, on closely-spaced signals, the TS-570d is about equal to the TS-430s, maybe giving up 1db to the 430s. But on wide-spaced signals, dynamic range improves to 97db and blows away the TS-430s. Signals just jump right out and smack you. Strong signals sound wonderful on this radio, bar none. The 570d has around 19db of advantage over the 430s here and it is immediately noticeable. On widely-spaced signals, the 570d compares on paper to some other well-known radios. On paper, the TenTec Omni VI+, IC-746 and 756 Pro radios, the TS-870 and K2 have equivalent or very similar wide-spaced dynamic range. It's clear that the other nicer, more expensive radios are much better at handling closely spaced signals however. But make no mistake, this is not a K3. The argument I am making is in comparison to a TS-430s. The RX on this radio is equal to the RX of the TS-430 at worst and substantially and obviously better than the RX of the TS-430 at best. In
real-world comparisons, this radio has both better audio and better receive. In most cases, the difference is night and day.

1. I love the display. It is bright and easy to read from any angle. Brightness is adjustable. You can even change the color of the display with an aftermarket mod.

2. Ease of use regarding the controls. It takes barely any effort to activate the controls, buttons, knobs, etc.

3. Ergonomics. The front panel has a nice layout and most functions have an associated button. Essential features and functions are easily controllable via a button or knob. There are no loud clunky switches or knobs.

4. Menu system. Yes, this has an extremely easy to use menu system. There is a list of menu options and a single submenu for each given menu item. So if you want to change the CW sidetone frequency, toggle the menu, scroll to
the CW sidetone option, and then adjust the value up or down. It's that easy.

5. Auto-tuner. I have a spiderbeam, so not much tuning is neccessary, but it easily tunes that antenna. I also have a multiband dipole and it tunes that dipole on all bands except 160 and 30m IIRC. The tuner quickly makes the
adjustments. Another fantastic option is that the tuner can be set to tune in RX mode. You can tune anywhere anytime without causing interference. I turned this option on from the start.

6. Meter. I prefer analog meters but this rig has a multifunction meter that provideds SWR, power output, ALC level, and compression (if you activate compression while in voice mode). I use all meter functions when operating.

7. Preamp. As primarily a DX CW guy, I almost always turn on the preamp. It makes a huge, easily discernable difference when working DX. This feature alone makes this radio better than the TS-430s at working weak DX. if you are coming from a TS-430s, the preamp will amaze you.

8. DSP noise reduction. It took awhile getting used to such a quiet audio output. NR1 and NR2 really cut out the random noise and can also make the difference in your ability to make a contact. NR1 is generally used on voice modes and NR2 is generally used on CW modes. I use either but NR2 will amaze you if you are coming from a TS-430s.

There are times where DSP and NR2 make it possible for me to easily copy weak DX, even if they can't hear me TX.

9. Split operation. This is a joy on the 570. It's easy to load frequencies in VFO A and B and switch between them. Since the buttons are soft and easy to use, you can easily switch to VFO B and turn the tuning knob to find the DX split appropriate for TX, then hit the VFO button again to listen back to VFO A prior to transmitting. This can all be done with one hand on the radio and one on the CW key. On the TS-430s, you have to turn the VFO function knob instead of pushing a button. I think working split on the TS-570 is much easier and more effective.

The VFO function switch on my TS-430 began to grind a little as well, which made it less effective.

10. CW auto-tune. I use this some of the time but it works very well. This feature will automatically align your TX over the RX signal (auto-zero beat). If you have hearing trouble or tone differentiation trouble, this feature
will get heavy use. I use it sometimes for convenience and it works decent. I haven't ever been told to move my TX up or down since getting the TS-570 because I can always easily park right on the correct frequency and that's where
the radio transmits. I haven't ever had to use XIT or RIT because of the ease of zero-beating.

11. Filtering. I never got to use my TS-430s with a CW filter but I'll bet it would have worked as well as the TS-570 does with a CW filter (props to the 430). However, I have the 500hz CW filter installed in the 570 radio and
set the IF bandwidth menu option to accomodate the filter. After installing it, the difference between activating the filter or not is easily discerned. Simply park over a weak signal while strong signals are nearby. When the filter is not active, the adjacent strong signals will overpower the weak signal. The automatic ACG features on the radio will make it sound like the RX level is going up and down (pumping). FYI, ACG cannot be turned off on this radio (without a mod) but you can toggle it between fast and slow. However, the value of the filter is evident. In the same scenario (weak signal and adjacent strong signals), activate the CW filter. The adjacent signals disappear completely and no longer register on the S-meter. As a CW guy, it is incredible that I never used a CW filter on the 430 and it is incredible to see how effective the filter is when activated on the 530.

Filtering is incredibly useful when working weak signals and when contesting. You can lock onto a weak DX split station so well that you can almost completely filter out people who transmit on the DX station's TX frequency. I was able to obtain the Kenwood 500hz filter for $65 shipped. They are often on eBay in the $100 range.

12. Adjustable power settings. I tried to use the TS-430s in the field and had a hard time turning down the power output low enough to match the battery I was using. The 570 has adjustable power settings in 5w increments between 5w and 100w. The power setting is available at the touch of a single button.

13. DSP Slope function. This is amazing on SSB and makes it very easy to get the RX audio exactly how you want it to tailor your hearing tastes. Enhance or cut the lows or enhance or cut the highs.

14. VOX. VOX is better on the 570 than the 430. The relays seem to be both faster and quieter. During CW, this means better break-in than on the 430. I used the 430 in semi-break in mode at moderate speeds (the radio would
switch to RX between words). On the 570, the radio will switch to RX between characters. Although the relays are not silent and there is a slight delay, it seems to work much better overall by far than the 430. I find it amazing
how fast this radio can switch between TX and RX, even when working split.

15. Beat cancel. This works awesome when in voice mode when someone starts tuning up on you or nearby. I like that you can just push the button and it works; there is no need to adjust a filter.

16. CAT interface. With a DB9 straight cable, it is a simple process to connect the radio to a computer (serial port) for use with Ham Radio Deluxe or other software. You can use a Serial-to-USB adapter and use the rig with more modern computers as well. HRD works fantastic with this radio and I can control all of the radio functions from the computer. I can even RX in digital modes but in order to TX, you have to make or buy a cable that can activate VOX on the radio.

17. Multiple antenna jacks. I use them both for different purposes and occasionally switch antennas. Between this and the internal auto-tuner, I don't use an external MFJ tuner anymore.

18. Internal keyer. This, plus the internal tuner, just save desktop space.

19. Compact footprint. Small enough to use mobile but large enough for comfortable shack use.

20. When changing modes, the radio plays back audible CW characters to audibly let you know what mode you are in. This is just cool.

21. The radio says HELLO when you turn it on. I like it. I would like it more if this were customizable. I might program it with my callsign, or something like "Get some DX!"

22. Other. There are many other things that I like but all of the above are what I use most often, nearly every time I use the radio.

What I don't like:
1. The keyer. Yes, I like having an internal keyer in the radio, but this keyer has some problems. Like others have noticed, it DOES inject an additional dit here and there at times. It seems to happen more frequently the
faster the keyer setting. It also freezes and occasionally sticks in TX with one long dah as well. My older Heathkit HD-1410 never did this unless I had terrible and obvious RF in the shack. This was solved by relocating the keyer wiring. The HD-1410, while obviously clunky, seems to be a better keyer. There aren't any cables to relocate in regards to the internal TS-570 keyer. This seems to happen randomly no matter how well the antenna is matched. I think it's a software bug internal to the radio. I put up with it but it is embarassing sometimes when it sticks or throws in random characters. The quick fix is just to use another keyer. So while it does work - and I would say it works 99.9 percent of the time - it occasionally burps and it is very annoying when it does. Were it
not for this flaw, I would rate the radio 5 stars

2. Lack of alternate CAT interface options (for example, USB or CAT5). Just to keep up with modern computers.

3. Inability to easily upgrade radio firmware. Unless I am mistaken, you are stuck with the code that runs on the chips in your radio unless you send it back to Kenwood.

4. Inability to turn OFF ACG. You can mod the radio for this but there are times where you just want to turn off the ACG and you can't.

5. No dual receive. Not sure if this is the term for it but it would be nice when working split to be able to set up the radio so you are listening to VFO A and VFO B at the same time until you TX, when the radio switches to VFO
B. This would make it easier to work split and adjust your TX frequency to match where the DX is listening.

Overall, I feel like the value of this radio, when purchased at the right price, is tremendous. If you exclude shipping and the going price of the used iambic keyer that I got with this radio, I paid around $440 for it. I later added the CW filter for $65. I believe it is a 2006 model based on the serial number. I sold my TS-430s for $350, so I feel like I upgraded for about $165. For all of the improvements, ease of use, having a more modern
radio, and everything I mentioned I like about it, I think I came out on top.

I use the radio primarily barefoot with a home-brew Spiderbeam and in most cases, this setup is a point-and-shoot setup. It has definitely made radio fun again. Sure, it's not a K3. But I doubt you'll ever see a K3 go for $500 bucks, and both radios will bag the DX.

You can have a TS-570 and a really nice antenna (and maybe an amp) for the price of a K3. But can you obtain a K3 and a really nice antenna for the price of a TS-570?

If you are looking for a 570, make sure you get the (g) model. The (g) model comes with substantial and necessary improvements. Also look for the TS-570s(g) models because they come with 6 meter capability as well. The deals are
out there.