Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | G5RV MINI Help

Reviews Summary for G5RV MINI
Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $27
Description: 26 foot long, 20-10m antenna by T.V. Evans Company
More info: http://www.radio-oasis.com

You can write your own review of the G5RV MINI.

KB9SDS Rating: 4/5 May 20, 2015 13:32 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna for small space.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used a my mini G5RV since 2008. Never had a problem. It's about 25 to 30ft up and I have talked all over the U.S. and DX contacts as well. I've talked to several European countries, South America and the Caribbean at 100w.

NH6RF Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2013 13:42 Send this review to a friend
Acceptable for small areas  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using a 6 band trap verticle, ground mounted, with 22 radials for the last 4 years. Results have been ok but the receive noise was a constant S7-8. I've had the G5RV mini (51 feet in length) up for a week now. Noise level down to an S2. The signal reports I'm receiving from the stations I work almost daily are the same so for my situation this is the better of the two antennas. The tuner I'm using is the MFJ-993B. It handles this antenna without problems. I gave this antenna a 5 because it was easy to install and it's having the desired results.
73's/NH6RF

KB1SFA Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2012 06:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna compromise for price and performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I originally purchased this antenna for use with a 10 meter mobile, but didn't use it until I got my general class license and a HF rig. With this antenna mounted 8-9 feet off of flat, level ground and a good tuner I was able to make contacts all over the US, Europe, Middle East and once or twice Asia. My first station setup was an ICOM 740 with a LDG Z-11Pro II auto tuner which allowed for decent operation on 10-20 meters (including 12, 15, and 17) and also 40 meters, although the antenna is not designed for 40. I live a mobile lifestyle right now so being able to easily string this antenna up between a couple of trees and take it down with ease is a big plus and my average signal report of 57-59 into Europe is not a disappointment either. I did recently replace this antenna however with a G5RV Junior as my Yaesu FT-890's built-in auto tuner could not tune 40 meter on the mini and I wanted to see if there was any performance difference between the two. So far I have not noticed any major differences in performance at all except better 40 meter operation.

W6VA Rating: 2/5 Oct 9, 2009 10:20 Send this review to a friend
High SWR Warc Bands  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Good for small spaces, only 25' long for mini version but terrible SWR on 17 and 12 meters. My automatic antenna tuner in the IC-7600 could not bring it in range. 10, 15, 20 SWR is about 3:1 so the tuner had no problems there. I do a lot of 17 meter work so I rated it 2 instead of a 3. Costs about the same as a full size G5RV so if you have the space definitely get the bigger size. I only had 35' available to string an antenna.

VK3MDD Rating: 3/5 Sep 27, 2006 06:35 Send this review to a friend
good cheap starter  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
20m and 40m okay,10 and 15m it works but poor performance. 20m at least 1 s point below a 3 el triband (which is to be expected). Hustler 4btv was usually better than g5rv but noisier.
good for portable situations,holidays,etc. Cheap and easy to assemble.

WD5CCW Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2006 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I started out with a slinky dipole inside the house and finally decided to buy a G5RV mini for outside use, the difference was night and day. The stations I could barely hear with the slinky were screaming at me on the G5RV. I recommend this antenna to anyone who has limited space, and if you can get it up 35 feet, this would be an optimum height for this antenna.

N0AH Rating: 2/5 Jun 21, 2005 21:00 Send this review to a friend
Paper weight  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have not had a lot of luck with it- Might be good for back packing but as a home based antenna, I would not use it-

KC2LOG Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2005 13:01 Send this review to a friend
VERY TRUE!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I MYSELF HAVE THIS ANTENNA IN THE ATTIC ABOUT 45 FEET UP. I TALKED AROUND THE WORLD WITH THIS SETUP. BUT MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS AWAY FROM THE ANTENNA ATLEAST 2 FEET (PIPES, POWER CORD/LINES, ETC) SAFETY FIRST! ANTENNAS ARE LOVED BY PERSONAL REFERENCE, NOT ONLY BY PERFOMANCE.

73'S

KC0PBP Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2003 19:34 Send this review to a friend
Very Good with height.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my first ham antenna, but so far the performance has been great! I have the mini hung in the attic, up about 35'. I have made contacts all over the world during good times, and many closer to home during bad times. I use the antenna on 10,15 and 20 meters. Have not had much luck tuning it in on 40m. The quality of the unit is excellent. I would recommend the antenna as long as you can get the height at 30' or so. I know another Ham using the same antenna at ~20' with average results...