Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | AMAC SC-1B Antenna-radio controller Help

Reviews Summary for AMAC SC-1B Antenna-radio controller
AMAC SC-1B Antenna-radio controller Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $249
Description: Automatic antenna and radio controller
More info: http://www.amac-controllers.com

You can write your own review of the AMAC SC-1B Antenna-radio controller.

KD5SRL Rating: 2/5 May 6, 2004 23:29 Send this review to a friend
Worst Tech Support Ever!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The unit works flawlessly and as stated, a real excellent product when mated to the Tarheel antenna system.

Purchased the SC-1C controller from AMAC, however, getting tech / service question answered is the worst I've seen. Took almost 3 weeks to get my controller, then Bill's Website states product support for Kenwood TS-480 series, however, no mention of that in the instructions that accompany the controller. I've left voice message and email but without any response. All this company cares about is the sale... nothing to do with customer service! According to his webpage, if you have a problem just call, only he never answers the phone or his voice mail... not even his email! I finally figured it out in the menu controls referenced for the TS-2000.

However, I can't recommend anything that something could go wrong with and the manufacturrer of a product is this difficult to reach for help.

Bottom line: You better have a working unit and not need any tech support.

The product comes with a 10 day complete satisfaction guarentee, however, that is null & void if one can't get the company to respond.

GM6JUA Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2004 15:33 Send this review to a friend
SUPERB  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First unit I ordered went missing in the post
Bill immediately sent of a replacement unit,
the build quality is excellent as is Bill's attention to his customers I'm using the unit with a HI-Q 3/80 setup and a ts 480 and it does everything it says it should. The only thing I had to do was fit a second reed switch 180 degrees to the first one to increase the number of counts per inch as the HI-Q antenna coil is only 9 inches long but 3inch diameter works great

WB8BRC Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2003 20:40 Send this review to a friend
a 'must have' for any screwdriver antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I first received my SC-1C it didn't work. I called Bill on a weekend and he spent considerable time on the phone with me trying to troubleshoot the unit. We tried everything but the controller would only move the antenna in one direction. Bill asked me to send the unit back to him, which I did. Bill found a defective part, replaced it and now the controller works perfectly. I am using a Yaesu FT-857 and Tarheel 200A screwdriver. The Amac SC-1C works seamlessly with the rig and antenna. I can change frequency using the keypad on the controller if I want to. Either way the controller 'reads' the frequency and adjusts the antenna to the best SWR. Nothing could be easier! And Bill is very patient and easy to work with. The unit is well worth the money.

K2MIT Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2003 23:34 Send this review to a friend
Great Design, Great Tech Support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just finished the installation of a Tarheel 200 and an AMAC SC-1B. Had some initial set up problems due to a wire that wasn't making good contact in the controller.

Bill was with me every step of the way. After a few phone calls we got it working. Talk about tech support--once I called on Sunday to his cell phone and decided to not leave a message. 10 minutes later, he called me back because he called the last number that dialed him!

My only suggestions for improvement are the case--could be a little better and the manual--it needs to explain more. But what it lacks, Bill makes up in helpful advice on the phone.

What I love about this device is that there is no need to transmit to find a good SWR. Just take an SWR meter (such as the MFJ 259) and connect it up to the antenna and go through the calibration routine, noting the points of lowest SWR as you go from 1.8 mhz to 54 making about 20+ or so midpoint readings. The device then interpolates any intermediate frequency it reads from the radio.

I am using an Icom IC-706 MKIIG and the combination with the tarheel and the AMAC controller is great. 80 and 40 meters work great. You have to wait for the screwdriver to spin up but its never more than about 2 minutes. Definately longer than when I had my AH-3 antenna tunner but it never could get 40.

Good job bill. This should be standard with the Tarheel.

--Jeffrey Steinberg, K2MIT

AG5Y Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2003 09:30 Send this review to a friend
Excellence continues!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just finished installing the new SC-1C in the mobil (updated from the SC-1B)to go along with the Tarheel that I had updated with the new 12 volt motor and 2 magnets. I am amazed at how well you can tune the antenna with Bill's new DDR capability in the SC-1C. There is no more "in-between" situations that prevents an almost perfect match. Bill has done it again. One of the greatest collaberations - AMAC and Tarheel continues to prove to be the best in mobil operations. Thanks Bill and Robert!

K1SWR Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2003 11:43 Send this review to a friend
Great product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got the new SC-1C installed in my car. I use it to control the little Tarheel antenna, talk about transparent! as others have said, 2 or 3 keystrokes and your talking away on your favorite frquency. I rate Bill's controller a 5/5 and his quest for customer satisfaction a 10/5. pleasure doing business with someone who really cares about the customer. Thanks Bill!!

KC4UII Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2003 21:50 Send this review to a friend
Great controller  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Picked up Bill's controller to use with my Tarheel antenna for mobile HF operations. I must say it sure makes band changes and rig control easy and safer during mobile use, with the capability to access memory locations, or direct enter a frequency, or spin the VFO and then tune the antenna with a very few key strokes. Controller was very easy to interface with rig and antenna. Installation was straight forward and calibration routine simple to setup. Only complaint I could have with it, is keypad is not lighted for easy access at night. But Bill informs me that a new version or with upgrade to current version that he has this modification in the works. Always nice to see someone willing to listen to what ideas the user might have!! I liked the fact that with the ICOM 706MKIIg the controller does not need the rig to TX to find the correct spot to tune the band your on. Has to save wear and tear on the rig finals not to mention cutting down alittle on the QRM on the bands. Bill also stands behind his product, any problems encountered are quickly dealt with making the whole process very enjoyable. Can't go wrong with this product!

WF4C Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2002 14:40 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am using the AMAC SC-1B with my Tarheel Model 100 antenna. Previously I had used sticky dots to mark my positions...different colors for different frequencies...after installation and calibration of the SC-1B, I entered some of the frequencies
that I use most...the SC-1B put the antenna right on the spots marked with the sticky dots, not close, but right on them. Bill has done a great job with this unit and I would recommend it to anyone with a screwdriver antenna. I gave this product a 5 because it performs as advertised and then some.

K4CWO Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2002 18:14 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING PRODUCT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
What a pleasure it is to have a device that controls your radio AND antenna with just pushing a few buttons on a keypad!! This device interfaces between my Tarheel screwdriver antenna and ICOM 706MKII. The control is done by using the keypad controller. With just a stroke of a few keys, you can watch the movement of your antenna and also see the radio change frequencies. A nice illuminated readout on the screen of the controller shows frequency, antenna position,etc. You can even "feather" the movement of the antenna with 2 of the keys on the keyboard for best SWR. All hardware is included, along with a well written and illustrated manual. If thats not enough, Bill Christiansen,KG4CPO, owner/developer, will help you out over the telephone should questions arise. Service and support. What a great product for the mobile ham enthusiast.

If there was ever a product "built for hams by hams", this one lives up to that motto.

You will not regret this product.