Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Diamond SX-400 Help

power range.......... 5/20/200 Watts
dimensions........... 2.4"H x 6.1"W x 4.1"D
weight............... 1.2 pounds
More info: http://www.texastowers.com/sx400.htm

You can write your own review of the Diamond SX-400.

K2GAV Rating: 4/5 May 30, 2016 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Nice look, accurate enough for the price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For a passive meter, this works sufficiently well to tell if my rig is working and the antenna is resonant. I like the styling of this unit too. The meter lamp is nice, but it burns out fairly quickly and it is impossible to replace. When mine went I installed a flexible strip with 3 white LED's that takes 12v. Adding a 2.7k 1/4 watt resistor in series lowered the illumination such that is looks better than the original incandescent lamp. The strip I used fit perfectly between the case and the top of the meter. Diamond should have used this type of illumination in the factory build.

KK4AH Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2015 08:58 Send this review to a friend
Good Meter  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this meter for my IC-2300H and it just works. It is accurate and looks very nice in the shack. I use a regulated power supply so I have had no problems with the lights going out. The price is a little high but well worth the extra cost. If your are looking for a meter for the VHF/UHF bands the SX-400 is a great looking meter and should give you years of service. Would buy again.

W8FOP Rating: 3/5 Sep 25, 2012 18:29 Send this review to a friend
Poor Accuracy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The meter looks nice however it is definately too small and measures at least ten watts too low on both VHF and UHF.

I prefer a larger easier to read meter and will probably sell this and buy an MFJ. I'm not overly impressed with this meter. I purchased it basically because of the "Diamond" name expecting much more quality.

This would be a great fifty dollar meter--too bad it cost double that plus some.

MDNITERDER Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2012 09:42 Send this review to a friend
Love it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased this to set up a GMRS antenna and I am pleased with it so far. I love how it actually has a back light on the meter. I will purchase the HF version next.

KD5NDU Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2012 06:33 Send this review to a friend
Good meter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my sx400 few days ago and try it out it work work good and looks good I would buy it again.

KC2VOB Rating: 4/5 Feb 7, 2009 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Not too bad  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Seems to be a bit off on 70cm SWR but measures forward power more accurately on both bands.

K3ROJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2007 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Nice Meter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I also have a Bird wattmeter but wanted something better looking to sit on my operating table. There really isn't a reason to monitor 144 and 432 all the time but sometimes a friend wants his mobile checked out and is quicker than the Bird. There is no difference whether UHF or Type N connectors are on it except the UHF is used in most applications up to the 450 band. Have checked various connectors with my spectrum analyzer and can see only a slight difference in the connectors loss.

KB9BPF Rating: 4/5 Jul 16, 2006 18:42 Send this review to a friend
Useful meter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for years. Indeed, it was the first piece of VHF/UHF test gear I got after getting my tech license in 1988. Although I've gotten used to the convenience of cross-needle display such as on the Daiwa CN-103, I still use the Diamond for general purpose grab 'n' go use, like checking the antenna in the car for example. It's been treated carefully (I suspect it may not be awfully rugged) and has given consistent performance.

It's been a long time since I compared its readings to those on a service monitor, but my impression was that it wasn't grossly out of cal. Since most ham measurements are relative-indication oriented, the Diamond does OK. Since I use the SX-400 with FM rigs it doesn't matter that the passive peak-reading function is almost worthless due to its inability to accurately display peak power for SSB. (This is also true of the Daiwa CN-103.)

W8WLC Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2006 16:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nice looking addition to the shack. Wattmeter on 2 and 440 runs neck and neck with a bird. Swr accuracy excellant. Glad I purchased this gem.

K6USI Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2004 16:54 Send this review to a friend
Does what I bought it for  Time owned: more than 12 months
Looks good, works good. I use it for 2 meter and 220 antennas, it does all it supposed to do..what can I say....Had mine for 10 years no plans to sell it.