Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Diamond SX-400 Help

power range.......... 5/20/200 Watts
dimensions........... 2.4"H x 6.1"W x 4.1"D
weight............... 1.2 pounds
More info: http://www.texastowers.com/sx400.htm

You can write your own review of the Diamond SX-400.

AB0RE Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2002 23:07 Send this review to a friend
Does what I want it to....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned the SX-400 for quite some time now and I couldn't be happier. It's priced competitively, looks sharp, is easy to use, and seems reasonably accurate. What more could I ask for? It runs laps around the MFJ VHF SWR meter that I had before this.

As for the SO-239 connectors... All of the equipment and antennas that I own have SO-239/PL-259 connections. I suspect that's why Diamond opted to have SO-239's on this unit - they knew they wouldn't sell a lot of these units with N-connectors as very few people use them below 500MHz. I do think it would be nice, however, to have the option to get the meter with N-connections of desired - perhaps the SX-400N? :-).

Also, the loss is within the PL-259's themselves... not so much in the meter... so Diamond should not be faulted for this.

KG6AZK Rating: 2/5 May 22, 2002 01:49 Send this review to a friend
Think first!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I admit, this is a fine looking meter! I love the SX-200... However, I immediately took this meter back when I realized it has SO-259 connectors! Diamond claims and insertion loss of 0.3dB at 70cm, but EACH SO-239 has an insertion loss of 1.0dB. That means the absolute minimum insertion loss must be 2.3dB. In practice, I found it to be about 3dB. Do you really want to loose 1/2 of your power, and 1 S-unit just by putting this thing inline?? I don't think so...

Thus, I wouldn't buy... go for the SX-1000, it has N connectors.