Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | K8RA Iambic Paddle Help

Reviews Summary for K8RA Iambic Paddle
K8RA Iambic Paddle Reviews: 243 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $65
Description: Modestly priced, beautiful paddle
More info: http://www.k8ra.com

You can write your own review of the K8RA Iambic Paddle.

K0EVZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2017 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Paddles  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This paddle exceeded my expectations, and I am absolutely delighted with it. It is now my main station paddle and will undoubtedly remain so. Thanks for a great addition to my setup!

G3XNG Rating: 4/5 May 15, 2015 12:40 Send this review to a friend
Heavy & Well engineered  Time owned: more than 12 months
A very heavy key indeed of solid brass base. The oversize wood finger plates are handy for those with larger hands/fingers, but I did find the adjustments re spacings a bit tricky and critical, and even with a small gap resulted in quite a bit of 'clicking' noise as the paddles are manipulated.
Yes, I'm being picky, but it's still a very well engineered paddle and a good standby. I prefer either a classic 'Jones' paddle, a G3HGE 'Magpad' or even a G4KLM touch paddle.
The K8RA paddle was still a bargain at £30.

KB9IIZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2014 20:07 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been pounding brass for 20 years now and few years ago I switched from a Bencher paddles and a straight key to the P2. What a difference! Completely different feel and a very snappy response, love at first sight. My fist has improved and CW is a lot more fun now.

I use it with the over sized wood finger pieces and they do give an option to send using a different keying style, Bencher's finger pieces were much smaller and lower to the desktop. The base is not very heavy, but with an anti skid pad underneath there is no sliding - even with my heavy handed slapping of the finger pieces.

I paid about a $100 for it, looks like pricing has changed, but the paddle is a strong contender among peers.

K2JF Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2014 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Beauty and Simpicity  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm 95% CW op and have tried all the great high end paddles.. All of them. But no matter which ones I tried I found myself always holding the paddle down with my left hand preventing it from moving while keying with my right hand. I decided to give the K8RA P-4's try and they are rock solid on the desk, smooth to operate and adjust and great to look at. Mike and Fred have taken over for Jerry (SK) and have kept up the tradition that Jerry started.

K8JHR Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2014 18:57 Send this review to a friend
GREAT SERVICE AFTER SALE  Time owned: more than 12 months
Jerry K8RA built my P-2 paddle.

NT8O and company has promptly provided excellent service and courtesy and good communication, as if it they had built my key, themselves. No hassle, no delay, no problems - like it was their their company all along.

I love the paddle and am confident about the future of these well-designed, well made paddles.

It is hard to find service this good anywhere these days. -- James - K8JHR --

AB0SR Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2014 01:49 Send this review to a friend
P-4 Paddles  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got the Paddle on Thursday, got it set up as best I could off the air.
then had time to run it over the weekend,
got it fine tuned and set the contact spacing nice and tight, and it does awesome!
the key looks great and runs real smooth.
would recommend this key to any ham looking for a gud buy and a gud key that is going to last for years. tuff to beat these Paddles.
73 de AB0SR + sk sk

W9OD Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2013 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Wishing Jerry the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just found out that Jerry is passing his work on to NT8O and N8BX due to health issues. It saddens me to hear about loosing Jerry as a paddle maker, but Mike and Fred will carry on the K8RA paddle business just as well as Jerry did. Jerry, I want to thank you for my having the opportunity to purchase my P5 paddle from you, you did a wonderful job fabricating it and a better job in costumer service. I hope that your health issues do not slow you up and that you can continue to be a part of the ham radio community which you have helped so much. God Bless you, and thank you, Craig/W9OD

K3LUE Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2013 13:36 Send this review to a friend
Great product, great guy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had, used, and enjoyed my P2 jr for several years. It does lack the weight of many of the big keyers (although weighty for it's size) but a small amount of non-slide material under it and it's fine. It's for portable use but works anywhere and I like it for the fact that it's not huge and bulky. If you want more weight, he has several other products.
Top notch construction, and top notch service. Jerry returned all my emails and/or phone calls immediately. In fact, he even gave me a free upgrade to the rosewood paddles and sent a cable along. As I said, top notch guy. Buy from him....you will not be disappointed.

GM0HKS Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2013 05:25 Send this review to a friend
K8RA P2 Brass Twin Paddle Key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased one of K8RA's P2 brass twin paddle keys. Jerry Pettinger has his business down to a fine art and the whole purchasing experience was excellent from beginning to end. His customer service skill is second to none and I would not hear anyone say otherwise. The only negative comment I have to make does not concern Jerry nor his products but the UK Customs & Excise /UK Parcel Force groups who savagely took money from me in a very unfair way. I had to pay a total of 34 UK pounds Sterling (50.61 US Dollars) to these parasites before they would release the key to me. Their calculation was based on Value Added Tax (VAT) which, in the UK, is running at 20% and a so called “handling charge to clear customs”. The VAT is based on the value of the goods but I was charged a figure which included the postal charges I paid to Jerry, over and above the price of the goods ! It has been a fruitless and pointless attempt on my part to argue this with these troglodytes and have gotten nowhere. The UK is broke and I guess they have to get their revenue somehow. Importing from the States is now very painful and does nothing but harm to business coming from that direction. Now, to the more interesting stuff. The P2 paddle is simply exquisite. Beautifully crafted, I liked it as soon as I saw it. I have the magnetic tensioning version and, most kindly, Jerry has offered to provide me with the interchangeable spring tensioning kit too. Although the rosewood lever pieces are very nice, I find them a little too big and have, instead, resorted to using very expensive wooden, aluminium and buffalo bone crafted guitar plectrums from an online source. Easily drilled out and fitted to the brass levers, they really finish off this key very nicely and look GREAT ! Setting up the gaps on the key has been described by some as difficult. Yes, it can be a little tiresome but, with patience, it is achievable and, once done, you don’t look back. It is a superb key which handles slow, medium and high speed keying with ease. I like a very tight gap and have, despite other comment, have managed to achieve this. With flexible aluminium guitar plectrums fitted, there is no clicking at all and I can generate accurate characters for hours on end. This is what I was after and this is what I got. A first class product from a first class guy. Very well done Jerry and thankyou for the privilege of buying a P2 from you

ZL2ATL Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2013 01:15 Send this review to a friend
The P-4 functions beautifully and is engineering art  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I love my P-4 paddle from Jerry. It’s a work of engineering art and functions beautifully. My interaction with Jerry was very positive. He answered my emails quickly. I then phoned him to get advice and he was most helpful. When I made the final decision, the paddle arrived quickly – and I live in New Zealand. The paddle was extremely well packed and arrived in perfect condition together with a full set of cables. I can see why there have been so many positive comments on the forum about Jerry and his paddles – he deserves it.