Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | ICOM IC-207H Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-207H
ICOM IC-207H Reviews: 47 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $299.99
Description: mobile dual band radio

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-207H.

W3AMF Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2014 13:09 Send this review to a friend
A Reliable Communicator  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased two of these rigs (new) in the late 1990s. Both have been used mobile in two different vehicles using the separation kits and a Comet SBB7 antenna.

One had a final amplifier blow (I don't know why) many years ago but has had no other problems. The other has had no problems at all. I did have to replace batteries in both of them somewhere along the way.

I just use the rigs for casual communications and often on simplex. On simplex, I often work base stations that have good antennas at 100 miles (2m) and 50-60 miles (70cm).

KJ4VEM Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2014 09:38 Send this review to a friend
Exceeds Expectations  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this Radio for 3 years and has not hicuped. Exceeds Specs. Absoulutly no issues with her.

KB3DBF Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2014 20:22 Send this review to a friend
Great reliable radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this rig after being licensed in 1998. I went to my local HRO and asked them what they had in a dual band 144/440 mobile rig. The sales person whipped out the 207H which happened to be on sale at that time. This radio has been used in a few different mobiles from a Jeep Wrangler to a Chevy pickup, it has also been used as a base in many homes and apartments over the years. It is currently serving base duty again. I have not had one problem with it in 15 years. It always gets good audio reports. I will say that there is a big learning curve in programming and I still consult the manual for certain functions, it also has a "barn door" front end but there are times when that is a good thing when trying to reach out and hear those distant repeaters, but overall a great radio. I also enjoy the air band rcv as I live fairly close to an airport
If you are considering this rig and can find one used I would say snatch it up, especially if the owner has the remote cable and mounting bracket for it, it makes mounting in today's vehicles much easier and less permanent.

CR7000 Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2013 15:11 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Does everything as advertised, a firm favourite

WS4V Rating: 3/5 Mar 31, 2012 07:25 Send this review to a friend
Could have been better designed - Need programming software.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought an IC-207H soon after they came out. First it is a bitch to program, secondly there was no heat sink compound on the VHF PA which cooked it and I had to take it apart and install a new PA. I would like to find the programming software for it but Icom has discontinued it and every link I go to is the usual run around. My Yaesu FT-7800 is a breeze to program with their software, odd splits and all. If anyone has the software for the 207H I'd sure appreciate a copy.
Ken,
WS4V (at) WS4V.net

W9DPY Rating: 4/5 Aug 5, 2010 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Bought used - very happy!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Just bought this from another ham here at work. After 13+ years; the 2M finals on my FT-8000 finally have given out. The rig I bought was in perfect shape - used only about 20 times and then re-boxed. Full power on both bands and a nice display. Whay not a 5? The programming isn't nearly as easy as the Yaesu rig it's replacing. Besides this; I think this rig is every bit as competitive as any of the new dual band/single transmit rigs. I am being specific here because the FT-8000 was a true dual band rig - 2 Rx and 2 Tx. I'm not taking that into account - I knew going in that the Icom was dual/single. A strong 4 and still a contender even with all the new rigs out there.

KD5RHR Rating: 4/5 Aug 14, 2009 11:58 Send this review to a friend
Good radio/HM-133 fix  Time owned: more than 12 months
What others said regarding intermod. FOR THOSE WITH THE HM-133 MIC PROBLEM: I've had 2 of those mics, both eventually had intermittent transmit problems, eventually it won't work no matter how hard you squeeze it. Take the mic cover off, put a drop of alcohol on the micro-PTT switch and work it a few dozen times, let it sit for a day and it will function like new. This mic is an alcoholic ;-)

W6GQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2009 23:33 Send this review to a friend
Worth it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this used. It works great. I have the Icom HM-133 mic, it is the same one used on the V8000. I have great audio reports. Have not had the intermod issues others have spoke about and I drive in down town Chicago to the burbs EVERY WEEKDAY. I do not like the RX only goes to 450 mhz so I guess I will be modding it because I like to listen to Chicago PD. 460.100

KD5OM Rating: 3/5 Jan 11, 2007 08:52 Send this review to a friend
I don't recommend for mobile.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have always owned Icom gear all the way back to the IC-230, IC-22S, IC-215 & IC-2AT. The IC-207 has promise to become another classic. However, Who is the rocket scientist that thought a RJ-45 would make for a good mic connector? I suggest to tie the mic cord down to take the strain off the RJ-45. Those things go bad on a computer network just sitting there. The 2 meter radio doesn't stand up while driving through inner-mod alley. I suppose that's because of the broad band VHF receiver. They give a little and then take a little. The handheld mic went bad and I bought an Icom mic with-out the control circuitry off ebay that works, until the RJ-45 craps out. The IC-207 was retired from the mobile and into the shack due to the problems mentioned and I have an oldie but goodie IC-27H (2 meter only) that gets to ride in the truck because it's such a good work horse. And no RG-45 mic connector. The IC-207H makes a nice fixed station radio.

N3EAY Rating: 4/5 Dec 7, 2006 02:43 Send this review to a friend
A solid radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a radio that works! It has performed flawlessly for my over the four+ (5?)years I have had it. It is about to change vehicles again. The only complaints I have are: 1. it is difficult to program (as with all newer radios) you constantly have to go get the manual out of the filing cabinet ( a menu system would be great); and 2. the cover on the microphone control panel is a pain.