Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | MFJ-1778 G5RV Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1778 G5RV
MFJ-1778 G5RV Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: 80-10 Meter Full Length (102') G5RV Wire Antenna
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1778

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1778 G5RV.

HB9PJT Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2016 02:35 Send this review to a friend
Perfect and Durable  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had the antenna up for over 10 years without any problem. Then gave it to a friend where it does a perfect service now. It is not important what you feel but what the antenna is. This MFJ antenna works very fine and is resonable priced.

KI4ODO Rating: 3/5 Oct 22, 2016 09:19 Send this review to a friend
I may have gotten a bad one  Time owned: months
For performance, I would say it stacks up against any G5RV. Anyone familiar with them knows there are pros and cons. I like a G5RV in certain situations. However, I gave this one a 3 because I feel like it is cheaply constructed. I have owned 3 G5RVs. One from Antennas and More, which lasted 10 years. The one I own now from Radio Oasis, which is a very, very solid antenna. The MFJ one isn't really held together very well. With the center supported, it broke where the wire attaches to the center section during the first mild thunderstom. Moderate wind snapped it like it was nothing. I won't buy another after seeing how flimsy the construction is.

R2ABT Rating: 4/5 Feb 13, 2016 15:52 Send this review to a friend
Not bad  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Normal antenna. Erected it as Inverted Vee at fiberglass mast. Nothing extraordinary, just cheap way to be active at almost any (apart from 160 m) HF band. Unfortunately the noise level in my house is much too high. Around S9 at 80-meter-band, and S6 at 40 and 20. Combination of MFJ-1788 G5RV and mini-whip RX antenna by PA0RDT helps me to have QSOs with weak stations at these bands. Luckily bands from 17 to 10 meters are noiseless. A multiband vertical antenna would be much more noisy in my conditions, and more expensive as well.

73! Peter R2ABT

ON2HB Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2014 01:44 Send this review to a friend
The best multibander there is.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this antenna up in the trees at 18m and fully horizontal. It works great on anything between 80m to 6m, but requires a good tuner.
It even works on 160m if you turn it into a Marconi-top-loaded. I have it up for 1.5 years and yet have to meet anything better that is not a beam.
Have no problems working the entire world with just 50W(average).

And the price is unbeatable, just 50 euro's.

Two remarks:

1) You MUST use a good choke else it won't work and the neighbours will want to kill you.
2) What ever you do, do not tie the twin-line against a pole or put it on the ground, it must stay clear of any objects and run as much straight down as you can.

GOTHICJB Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2014 07:23 Send this review to a friend
Extremely versatile for the money!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this as a temporary antenna for HF and the plan was to string this up about 25' in the trees in a flat top design while I built a hex beam...

This antenna works great with my TS-440SAT. The auto tuner dials in the SWR great on all bands 80m-10m. I have gotten good contacts and distance with this antenna on 80m, 40m, and 20m I haven't really tried any of the other bands but will update this in the future if I do.

This is a great antenna for getting started affordably in HF if you have the room to mount it.

I will be putting it up at 48' on my tower in the next few days once we raise the tower and it will stay in the flat top design I think. I will update regarding the performance at that height after a little while.

KC9RNK Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2014 16:39 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this when I first started out and it is still hanging,(2 Years). It survived the worst Chicago winter, complete with ice storms. Worked a lot of DX with a tuner of course. Will tune 10 - 80. I still use it every day. For $39.00, its great bang for the buck.

KT4EP Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2012 10:17 Send this review to a friend
After a year or more  Time owned: more than 12 months
Rating Great only because of the antenna material durability. Initially, I had the center up about 35 or so feet, tried running it northwest by southeast and north by south. N/S was harder to do as few end supports, anyhow... I raised it to top of tower at 52 feet as inverted vee and it worked much better on 40 meters and up. About the same on 80 meters. BUT - I decided to cut the coax -- I ran 450 ohm windowed ladder line back to the shack splicing in extra 450 with last 15 feet of rg8x and 4:1 balun. Turned the G5RV into a 102 foot all band doublet and it works soooo much better. On 20 meters, I don't even need a tuner. Of course, this also has something to do with the length of the 450 ohm stuff. Some one else's situation and set up will differ. If you are looking for a well-made antenna, get this G5RV. But now as an all bander, it works much better. Good material and parts, for the price. Try making your own from store bought material - center section, the ladder line, the wire, the end insulators .. It might cost more. ,, and,, I can see this antenna being a good starter plus throwing it up in trees temporarily.

KJ6MEV Rating: 4/5 Nov 7, 2011 18:09 Send this review to a friend
good performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using a 200ft homemade loop at 30ft for about a year and have been pleased. I installed the g5rv at 30ft a few weeks ago. In my side by side comparison, the g5rv outperforms the loop on 12, 15, 20, 40, and 80. On 160 it's about a tie. But..... the loop totally kicks the g5rv's butt on 10 by far. Overall, I'm very pleased with the g5rv. It's not super noisy either. Don't omit winding the recommended coax choke for it. It helps. I also put a W2AU unun on the feedline near the rig. These make tuning for the lowest swr a lot less work with the tuner and a lower swr. I can get 1.5 to 1 on all
band except 160 which is 3 to 1 at best.

WA4SWJ Rating: 3/5 Jun 12, 2011 11:05 Send this review to a friend
Weak Crimps  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Just putting up the antenna today and, after a lot of work to get a rope over the house, as I was pulling it up, the wire crimp on one of the end insulators let go and the rope came over the house so I'll have to redo the entire effort. If you buy one of these antennas solder the wire at the end insulators to keep the wire crimp from letting go and leaving the antenna on the ground. In my view this is poor construction considering the tensile force on the antenna when up in the air. Hope it works as well as others say when I finally get it up in the air. 73

KT4EP Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2011 14:07 Send this review to a friend
Good product, solid construction, performs well.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After being off the air for 15 years, I opted for this antenna based on price and my particular needs. It was easy to erect in an inverted vee with apex at 37 feet, I made my own balun as suggested from the antenna's manual, buried 15 feet of coax as suggested for grounding, and the only band I cannot easily tune is 10 meters. It even works well on 160 meters without extra radials and grounds although this is a site to site issue and it may not for you. It seems to be very well made although I was curious about the ladder line to coax connection construction but it seems sturdy enough. I liked it so much I bought a second one for the future. Comment: once out of the packaging you might not get it back in.