Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | MFJ-1778 G5RV Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1778 G5RV
MFJ-1778 G5RV Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: 80-10 Meter Full Length (102') G5RV Wire Antenna
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1778

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1778 G5RV.

KC9RNK Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2014 16:39 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this when I first started out and it is still hanging,(2 Years). It survived the worst Chicago winter, complete with ice storms. Worked a lot of DX with a tuner of course. Will tune 10 - 80. I still use it every day. For $39.00, its great bang for the buck.

KT4EP Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2012 10:17 Send this review to a friend
After a year or more  Time owned: more than 12 months
Rating Great only because of the antenna material durability. Initially, I had the center up about 35 or so feet, tried running it northwest by southeast and north by south. N/S was harder to do as few end supports, anyhow... I raised it to top of tower at 52 feet as inverted vee and it worked much better on 40 meters and up. About the same on 80 meters. BUT - I decided to cut the coax -- I ran 450 ohm windowed ladder line back to the shack splicing in extra 450 with last 15 feet of rg8x and 4:1 balun. Turned the G5RV into a 102 foot all band doublet and it works soooo much better. On 20 meters, I don't even need a tuner. Of course, this also has something to do with the length of the 450 ohm stuff. Some one else's situation and set up will differ. If you are looking for a well-made antenna, get this G5RV. But now as an all bander, it works much better. Good material and parts, for the price. Try making your own from store bought material - center section, the ladder line, the wire, the end insulators .. It might cost more. ,, and,, I can see this antenna being a good starter plus throwing it up in trees temporarily.

KJ6MEV Rating: 4/5 Nov 7, 2011 18:09 Send this review to a friend
good performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using a 200ft homemade loop at 30ft for about a year and have been pleased. I installed the g5rv at 30ft a few weeks ago. In my side by side comparison, the g5rv outperforms the loop on 12, 15, 20, 40, and 80. On 160 it's about a tie. But..... the loop totally kicks the g5rv's butt on 10 by far. Overall, I'm very pleased with the g5rv. It's not super noisy either. Don't omit winding the recommended coax choke for it. It helps. I also put a W2AU unun on the feedline near the rig. These make tuning for the lowest swr a lot less work with the tuner and a lower swr. I can get 1.5 to 1 on all
band except 160 which is 3 to 1 at best.

WA4SWJ Rating: 3/5 Jun 12, 2011 11:05 Send this review to a friend
Weak Crimps  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Just putting up the antenna today and, after a lot of work to get a rope over the house, as I was pulling it up, the wire crimp on one of the end insulators let go and the rope came over the house so I'll have to redo the entire effort. If you buy one of these antennas solder the wire at the end insulators to keep the wire crimp from letting go and leaving the antenna on the ground. In my view this is poor construction considering the tensile force on the antenna when up in the air. Hope it works as well as others say when I finally get it up in the air. 73

KT4EP Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2011 14:07 Send this review to a friend
Good product, solid construction, performs well.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After being off the air for 15 years, I opted for this antenna based on price and my particular needs. It was easy to erect in an inverted vee with apex at 37 feet, I made my own balun as suggested from the antenna's manual, buried 15 feet of coax as suggested for grounding, and the only band I cannot easily tune is 10 meters. It even works well on 160 meters without extra radials and grounds although this is a site to site issue and it may not for you. It seems to be very well made although I was curious about the ladder line to coax connection construction but it seems sturdy enough. I liked it so much I bought a second one for the future. Comment: once out of the packaging you might not get it back in.

KD0HVR Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2010 21:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna for the Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great antenna for the money! I put mine up recently about 35-40 feet up in a tree and the first time I used it I was talking to a guy in Italy.

KC2BYV Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2008 15:31 Send this review to a friend
Great for an all-band compromise  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I own both the full length and Jr. models. Given a relatively compromised installation, 35 feet up with the wire stretched out a foot off the roof and the ladder line a foot away from the side of the house hanging down vertically, the Jr. tunes up with flat SWR on 40, 30, 20, 18, 15, and 12. Works great - I can work everything I hear.

The full length G5RV is going to be cut up to make a few dipoles, as I overestimated the front-back length of my property and could fit it only as a horizontally-positioned V with the ladder-line far from vertical. As the only antenna I had at first, in this configuration it got me Western Europe SSB, but the Jr. properly installed has allowed me to work Africa and South America, further when running digital.

I got these antennas with a new general class ticket to give me a feel for the bands, and they did that very well.

VK7HDX Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2007 06:16 Send this review to a friend
I'm Happy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Strong design. It will tune up on 6m (but waiting for some 6m DX). 80/20/40m it seems to work extremely well for what it is. It was cheaper to buy it direct from Texas USA with the recent AUD Vs USD exchange rate. I was sick of rebuilding my homebrew G5RV due to strong winds so I decided to give a MFJ-1778 a try out. Time will tell but I think it will last a while. BTW my G5RV is about 30m (90ft) off the ground to give it the best clearence.

73...Karl
VK7HDX

Tasmania Island

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2007 03:48 Send this review to a friend
Still kicking  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm still using mine since the day i brought it !the swr works with tuner i check 3980 and 7.268 everyday.it works like it sould !

Jackie
KG4ORX
WEBSITE http://webpages.charter.net/kg4orx/

N5VWN Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2007 19:48 Send this review to a friend
Just a wonderful bargin!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a remarkable all around antenna that does a whole lot really well. MFJ's version of it is made robustly and I'd recommend it to anyone. Pretty much if I can hear them, they can hear me, what more can you ask? I'd say it's a perfect first HF antenna with little to comprimise. It's been my antenna of choice on DX and in the field also. The price has recently gone up $5 but it's still worth it. I feel like the materials alone are about the same price. Of course it's an easy matter to build your own out of scraps. But for "no fuss" it's great. Really pleased with it's performance. . . with any old tuner of course, even a cheapie cheap mfj tuner works good with this. Try one and put your experiences on this site for us to read about!