Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | MFJ-1778 G5RV Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1778 G5RV
MFJ-1778 G5RV Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: 80-10 Meter Full Length (102') G5RV Wire Antenna
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1778

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1778 G5RV.

KD0HVR Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2010 21:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna for the Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great antenna for the money! I put mine up recently about 35-40 feet up in a tree and the first time I used it I was talking to a guy in Italy.

KC2BYV Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2008 15:31 Send this review to a friend
Great for an all-band compromise  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I own both the full length and Jr. models. Given a relatively compromised installation, 35 feet up with the wire stretched out a foot off the roof and the ladder line a foot away from the side of the house hanging down vertically, the Jr. tunes up with flat SWR on 40, 30, 20, 18, 15, and 12. Works great - I can work everything I hear.

The full length G5RV is going to be cut up to make a few dipoles, as I overestimated the front-back length of my property and could fit it only as a horizontally-positioned V with the ladder-line far from vertical. As the only antenna I had at first, in this configuration it got me Western Europe SSB, but the Jr. properly installed has allowed me to work Africa and South America, further when running digital.

I got these antennas with a new general class ticket to give me a feel for the bands, and they did that very well.

VK7HDX Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2007 06:16 Send this review to a friend
I'm Happy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Strong design. It will tune up on 6m (but waiting for some 6m DX). 80/20/40m it seems to work extremely well for what it is. It was cheaper to buy it direct from Texas USA with the recent AUD Vs USD exchange rate. I was sick of rebuilding my homebrew G5RV due to strong winds so I decided to give a MFJ-1778 a try out. Time will tell but I think it will last a while. BTW my G5RV is about 30m (90ft) off the ground to give it the best clearence.

73...Karl
VK7HDX

Tasmania Island

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2007 03:48 Send this review to a friend
Still kicking  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm still using mine since the day i brought it !the swr works with tuner i check 3980 and 7.268 everyday.it works like it sould !

Jackie
KG4ORX
WEBSITE http://webpages.charter.net/kg4orx/

N5VWN Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2007 19:48 Send this review to a friend
Just a wonderful bargin!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a remarkable all around antenna that does a whole lot really well. MFJ's version of it is made robustly and I'd recommend it to anyone. Pretty much if I can hear them, they can hear me, what more can you ask? I'd say it's a perfect first HF antenna with little to comprimise. It's been my antenna of choice on DX and in the field also. The price has recently gone up $5 but it's still worth it. I feel like the materials alone are about the same price. Of course it's an easy matter to build your own out of scraps. But for "no fuss" it's great. Really pleased with it's performance. . . with any old tuner of course, even a cheapie cheap mfj tuner works good with this. Try one and put your experiences on this site for us to read about!

N3GOO Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2007 12:25 Send this review to a friend
Fine Field Day Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought one this year to replace a home built dipole that wore out. We put wire antennas up 50 feet between the 20M and the VHF tower. No problems at all on 80-10M. Primarily used on 80 and 40, with occasional shifts to 10 for SSTV demos. If you are careful when you pack it back up you can get it back in the original plastic bag for storage for next year! Recommended.

KE5BYF Rating: 4/5 May 6, 2007 12:24 Send this review to a friend
works!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Good antenna for the price. I have found that it is much quieter and has lower swr when used as a inverted vee. I wished MFJ would illiminate the 102' bare wire and go with insulated. It would be so much better when you have to use a tree for the apex.

AA1TC Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2006 06:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use this with a FT-897D and MFJ-993B Antenna tuner. I have it off the ground about 15 feet due to Trees on the property are few and short. I have no problems. The 102' span is perfect for my small lot and being in a Covenant restricted area the neighbors do not see it. This is the only antenna I have used so can not really compare but I am extremely pleased with it. It is well constructed and I had it installed in less than 5 minutes. For less than $40.00 and able to work 160-10M its worth it.

KC8VSB Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2004 18:42 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for all bands!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the MFJ-1778 and still can't say enough about it! Excellent performance on all bands. Even in my attic at about 30 feet, it performs fabulous! I'm finding that 99.9 percent of the people I can hear, can hear me. I'm also giving and receiving 59+ signal reports very often.

Since I can't fit all 102 feet of the antenna in a straight line, I've got it bent in a "Z" shape. Seems to be working very well! I would recommend the MFJ-1778 to anyone, and I am planning on buying another one very soon!

Joseph

K7LZR Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2002 20:18 Send this review to a friend
Good performance!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna in 1995 because I concluded that I couldn't build it any better as far as quality etc. for the price. Got it at the last local hamfest we have had for $19.95 on sale at that time.

Anyway, I installed it as an Inverted Vee with the apex at 35ft. and used it with a Dentron 160-10AT antenna tuner for about 2 years with excellent results until a storm blew it down. It layed in my back yard all tangled up until about 2 weeks ago when I decided to rebuild. I replaced the original copper flat-top wire with new copper from Radio Shack and replaced the end insulators with ceramic ones. Re-erected everything with a new antenna mast with the G5RV apex again at 35ft.

Now that I have had more time to use this antenna, I am VERY pleased. Seems that all signals which I hear are workable, and most are strong (S9+) on the receive end. MFJ has done a fine job with this and it works very well if you follow the directions. I give it a 5.