Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | MFJ-1702C 2 Position Switch Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1702C 2 Position Switch
MFJ-1702C 2 Position Switch Reviews: 35 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $24.95
Description: 2 Position 450 MHz Switch With Center Ground Position
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1702C

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1702C 2 Position Switch.

K7HIL Rating: 2/5 Mar 28, 2014 10:52 Send this review to a friend
No detent, poor switch  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The switch does not have a firm detent and it is very difficult to know when a good connection is being made. The only way I could tell that I was on the right antenna was from the SWR!

I should have interpreted the relatively low cost correctly and taken the clue, I just spent more money and ordered an Alpha-Delta.

W7KHZ Rating: 2/5 Dec 24, 2012 09:10 Send this review to a friend
Not High Quality At All  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used many switches and RF devices over the years. I never thought that something as simple as this would create more work than necessary for me. While using this switch to troubleshoot and tune a new antenna system, I found that I was chasing a ghost (up and down a 30' ladder). The switch had a bad setting on the "B" side. I opened it up and still do not see anything obvious, yet will tear it apart further to find the problem. It is a quality package, but something inexpensive obviously made it into the production process. Sad to say, but I still have to treat my MFJ stuff still as a source of potential issues and not always a standard to measure against in my shack. I am rooting for you guys, though. Keep trying, and supporting us. It will get better!

KQ4KK Rating: 3/5 Jul 24, 2012 16:26 Send this review to a friend
Keep repairing it  Time owned: more than 12 months
When you switch the position from Position 1 to Position 2, the internal contacts move and lose connection. Open it up, re-aligned the contacts and put it back together only to have it do it again within a short amount of time. If you buy one, keep this in mind. When the SWR goes up, and the signals go down, take it apart.

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2012 12:28 Send this review to a friend
No problems with all 6 MFJ switches I have!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've got 4 of the 2 position switches from MFJ, one being 12 years old and 2 of the 4 position switches. They all have performed flawlessly!

I use them to switch the antennas between rigs as well as switch between antennas. I often run the legal limit of 1,500 watts without any issues. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one!

SWMAN Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2012 07:02 Send this review to a friend
Ok for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using one of these switches for 11 years now and no problems with mine at all. Works just fine. I also have the 4 position switch 1704 and no problems with that either.
Maybe I'm just lucky. 73, Jim W5JJG

WA3HVR Rating: 4/5 Jul 23, 2012 21:29 Send this review to a friend
I have 3 for many years and they are great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
When the knob loosens, you simply tighten the screw on the brass insert. These have been in service for several years and have worked very well. I also have two other switches from other makers and they all perform equally to these. I find no fault with the 1702 and would buy them again. The only reason that I don't rate it a 5 is because of the round shaft and brass insert under the knob. This could have been designed better.

W8KQE Rating: 0/5 May 29, 2012 20:31 Send this review to a friend
Switch Failed!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this switch for a few years, 'babied' and used indoors, and only occasionally. I tried using it today to switch between my FT-450AT and TA-32JR, and I noticed signals were considerably down on 20m. I tried jiggling the switch back and forth, and signals would jump in and out. I could not get the switch to work. It failed. Stay away from MFJ switches!

WU0R Rating: 1/5 Jun 13, 2011 07:14 Send this review to a friend
Poor Quality - Low Reliability  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a few of these because I needed something to use in a hurry. All I can say is they are poorly built and don't last long in service. One inherit problem is when you switch the position from Position 1 to Position 2, the internal contacts move and lose connection. I opened mine up, re-aligned the contacts and put it back together only to have it do it again within a short amount of time. Very poor design and not worth the $3 of parts. Look for something else, and avoid these. In a circuit where you have VHF, you will also see a dramatic increase in SWR (loss).

If you don't need to switch very often from one position to another, you may be okay.

N0EQ Rating: 0/5 Aug 29, 2009 16:46 Send this review to a friend
SO-239s and switch copper Fail!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine wore out in a couple of months. Like many other reviewers here, and other places, I found the internal copper contact band simply lost it's temper/spring and no longer made physical contact with the moving switch contact bat. Attempts to bend it back seemed to make things worse.

Other major problem seems symptomatic of all MFJ gear I've ever used. The darn SO-239 center holes seem TOO BIG. Plugging in several styles and brands of PL-259s I found that no matter how loose or firm I tighten the barrel, the center pin of the 259 would wobble and make intermittant contact in the SO-239s on the MFJ gear. On some of the other MFJ stuff I have, I've been able to replace the 239s which cured the problem. That seems like an expensive and ridiculous cure to what appears to be a common problem. I've got some very cheap SO-239s that cost 50c each on eBay that are junk, but still the fit is better than the even junkier junk that MFJ seems to use.

Still another problem seems to be the switch itself becoming loose in it's mounting. I thought the setscrew arrangment was slipping, allowing the knob to rotate past the detents. But it wasn't the setscrew/knob at all. The entire switch was rotating. No amount of tweak or troubleshoot seemed to remedy it. It would require turning the switch to the desired position and then moving it around within that detent to get the thing to make contact.

FAIL - Internal copper contact strip
FAIL - SO-239 connectors
FAIL - Mounting the switch assembly to housing.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

www.n0eq.com

KI0Z Rating: 1/5 Dec 13, 2008 06:28 Send this review to a friend
Short time wonder  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this switch for many years (40) and every one was good at first but goes bad after a few years . When new they are very good ,but after switching many times they all get intermittent because the spring material the contacts are mounted on become weak. I have had a pile of them more than 7. Save your self some money and just get the 6 position ameritron antenna switch or DX eng one.ETC.