Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | MFJ-1702C 2 Position Switch Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1702C 2 Position Switch
MFJ-1702C 2 Position Switch Reviews: 40 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $24.95
Description: 2 Position 450 MHz Switch With Center Ground Position
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1702C

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1702C 2 Position Switch.

AD5KO Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2016 17:42 Send this review to a friend
No problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one of these switches, it has worked for years without any problems.

MFJ-1702C

ANTENNA SWITCH, 2 POS. W/LIGHTNING PROTECTOR

I don't know what the newer ones are like but they look the same.

KC0EKQ Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2016 03:59 Send this review to a friend
baffling  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's baffling to me that sooooo many operators have had such rotten experiences with this switch. It has to be a quality control and/or 'newer versions aren't made the same' kind of issue.

I know you're all telling the truth,of course, but my own facts are that I've had three 2 position and two 4 position MFJ 1702s for 17 years... and NONE of them have ever exhibited any of the failures, drawbacks, weaknesses written here (and I've read every single one of them tonight).

I've never had to take one apart. I've always been able to run up to at least 250W on every port of every one of them. They've never altered any SWR in my recollection and I've certainly never had any damage of other gear due to a 1702 failing in some way.

Just, never. Ever.

Maybe the units built in the early/mid '90s were simply more robust and had better quality control. I don't know, of course. But mine all operate just as they did the day I got them all in one small but heavy package in the post. :)

Solidly built, they make a satisfying sound ("pchnk!")and feel of strong and solid switching.

Obviously this is not the majority experience or opinion. I'm almost tempted to buy a newer one just to find out if there is a difference.

W4JJK Rating: 0/5 Jul 4, 2015 09:27 Send this review to a friend
Never Disconnects/Isolates  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I may have read something into this, but I ASSUMED that I could send the output from 2 different radios to 1 antenna. It does not work. I have tried 3 of them I have now and none will do this.I took the backs off and the contacts do look to work/disconnect as they should, yet the radio #1/TM-V71A always has a signal coming in no matter what position it is in. Same with radio #2/IC-7100. It goes to a dual band antenna on other connector to enable the IC-7100 VHF to function without 2nd antenna. Odd thing is, it seems to work on HF. Like I said, maybe I read something into it, but the way it stands now, they do not work for me.

W7NKR Rating: 0/5 Mar 20, 2015 19:25 Send this review to a friend
Poorest POS I ever had  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had these and even peeled off the MFJ label to find CS-201 which I assume is Diawa's??

Anyway, most have hit the nail on the head, the more you use them the less time they will work. The SO-239's when you screw/unscrew coax into them start to turn and lose connection, the connections themselves move internally, just overall, a piece of junk.

W8NYC Rating: 0/5 Jul 20, 2014 12:02 Send this review to a friend
MFJ 1702C  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought 2 of them in the last 2 months
I have HIGH SWR on both of them
Took them out of the line and the problem went away
I should have know

Steve
W8NYC

K7HIL Rating: 2/5 Mar 28, 2014 10:52 Send this review to a friend
No detent, poor switch  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The switch does not have a firm detent and it is very difficult to know when a good connection is being made. The only way I could tell that I was on the right antenna was from the SWR!

I should have interpreted the relatively low cost correctly and taken the clue, I just spent more money and ordered an Alpha-Delta.

W7KHZ Rating: 2/5 Dec 24, 2012 09:10 Send this review to a friend
Not High Quality At All  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used many switches and RF devices over the years. I never thought that something as simple as this would create more work than necessary for me. While using this switch to troubleshoot and tune a new antenna system, I found that I was chasing a ghost (up and down a 30' ladder). The switch had a bad setting on the "B" side. I opened it up and still do not see anything obvious, yet will tear it apart further to find the problem. It is a quality package, but something inexpensive obviously made it into the production process. Sad to say, but I still have to treat my MFJ stuff still as a source of potential issues and not always a standard to measure against in my shack. I am rooting for you guys, though. Keep trying, and supporting us. It will get better!

KQ4KK Rating: 3/5 Jul 24, 2012 16:26 Send this review to a friend
Keep repairing it  Time owned: more than 12 months
When you switch the position from Position 1 to Position 2, the internal contacts move and lose connection. Open it up, re-aligned the contacts and put it back together only to have it do it again within a short amount of time. If you buy one, keep this in mind. When the SWR goes up, and the signals go down, take it apart.

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2012 12:28 Send this review to a friend
No problems with all 6 MFJ switches I have!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've got 4 of the 2 position switches from MFJ, one being 12 years old and 2 of the 4 position switches. They all have performed flawlessly!

I use them to switch the antennas between rigs as well as switch between antennas. I often run the legal limit of 1,500 watts without any issues. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one!

SWMAN Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2012 07:02 Send this review to a friend
Ok for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using one of these switches for 11 years now and no problems with mine at all. Works just fine. I also have the 4 position switch 1704 and no problems with that either.
Maybe I'm just lucky. 73, Jim W5JJG