Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | MFJ-1702C 2 Position Switch Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1702C 2 Position Switch
MFJ-1702C 2 Position Switch Reviews: 40 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $24.95
Description: 2 Position 450 MHz Switch With Center Ground Position

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1702C 2 Position Switch.

WA3HVR Rating: 4/5 Jul 23, 2012 21:29 Send this review to a friend
I have 3 for many years and they are great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
When the knob loosens, you simply tighten the screw on the brass insert. These have been in service for several years and have worked very well. I also have two other switches from other makers and they all perform equally to these. I find no fault with the 1702 and would buy them again. The only reason that I don't rate it a 5 is because of the round shaft and brass insert under the knob. This could have been designed better.
W8KQE Rating: 0/5 May 29, 2012 20:31 Send this review to a friend
Switch Failed!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this switch for a few years, 'babied' and used indoors, and only occasionally. I tried using it today to switch between my FT-450AT and TA-32JR, and I noticed signals were considerably down on 20m. I tried jiggling the switch back and forth, and signals would jump in and out. I could not get the switch to work. It failed. Stay away from MFJ switches!
WU0R Rating: 1/5 Jun 13, 2011 07:14 Send this review to a friend
Poor Quality - Low Reliability  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a few of these because I needed something to use in a hurry. All I can say is they are poorly built and don't last long in service. One inherit problem is when you switch the position from Position 1 to Position 2, the internal contacts move and lose connection. I opened mine up, re-aligned the contacts and put it back together only to have it do it again within a short amount of time. Very poor design and not worth the $3 of parts. Look for something else, and avoid these. In a circuit where you have VHF, you will also see a dramatic increase in SWR (loss).

If you don't need to switch very often from one position to another, you may be okay.
N0EQ Rating: 0/5 Aug 29, 2009 16:46 Send this review to a friend
SO-239s and switch copper Fail!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine wore out in a couple of months. Like many other reviewers here, and other places, I found the internal copper contact band simply lost it's temper/spring and no longer made physical contact with the moving switch contact bat. Attempts to bend it back seemed to make things worse.

Other major problem seems symptomatic of all MFJ gear I've ever used. The darn SO-239 center holes seem TOO BIG. Plugging in several styles and brands of PL-259s I found that no matter how loose or firm I tighten the barrel, the center pin of the 259 would wobble and make intermittant contact in the SO-239s on the MFJ gear. On some of the other MFJ stuff I have, I've been able to replace the 239s which cured the problem. That seems like an expensive and ridiculous cure to what appears to be a common problem. I've got some very cheap SO-239s that cost 50c each on eBay that are junk, but still the fit is better than the even junkier junk that MFJ seems to use.

Still another problem seems to be the switch itself becoming loose in it's mounting. I thought the setscrew arrangment was slipping, allowing the knob to rotate past the detents. But it wasn't the setscrew/knob at all. The entire switch was rotating. No amount of tweak or troubleshoot seemed to remedy it. It would require turning the switch to the desired position and then moving it around within that detent to get the thing to make contact.

FAIL - Internal copper contact strip
FAIL - SO-239 connectors
FAIL - Mounting the switch assembly to housing.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke
KI0Z Rating: 1/5 Dec 13, 2008 06:28 Send this review to a friend
Short time wonder  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this switch for many years (40) and every one was good at first but goes bad after a few years . When new they are very good ,but after switching many times they all get intermittent because the spring material the contacts are mounted on become weak. I have had a pile of them more than 7. Save your self some money and just get the 6 position ameritron antenna switch or DX eng one.ETC.
N0YXE Rating: 3/5 Jun 9, 2008 20:33 Send this review to a friend
It seems to work ok!  Time owned: more than 12 months
What's the difference between a four or a five? I have no idea. My switcher works ok. This is probably an amazing feat for any MFJ product!

I have ONLY four MFJ products in my life:

1. Dummy load
2. Antenna switcher (two position) The four position one is an Alpha Delta. It has my main antenna on it!!! (not taking a chance)
3. Two radio controlled clocks. One for portable use, one in the shack.

That"s all folks.
K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2008 12:51 Send this review to a friend
I use 4 of them! GREAT !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 4 of these switches! I use them in different configurations taking rigs in and out and switching between antennas. They take the legal limit without a problem and have lasted several years so far. I also use one of the 4 position switches too. Never an issue with any of them.
N2QQF Rating: 2/5 Jan 7, 2008 07:32 Send this review to a friend
Not to good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well, here is a switch that I have had for 1 year and I can tell you this switch is not very good. Anyone that says this switch is great either has no experience with good quality switches or they luckily got one that miraculously works. I have the 4 Position Alpha Delta switches which work very well and have had some of the same issues with loose knobs but it at least is fixable. The MFJ switch is not a good quality switch. I believe that when you sell something it should work more than 6 months. The knob comes completely loose almost to the point of being stripped. The knob spins and the contacts donít line up correctly.

While I understand not abusing something that is all well but switches are made to be switched. They are not to be made to be switched only once or twice a month. When you run a proper station with multiple antennas you need to switch back and forth to get the best signal for the station you are working. When your switches fail because of average use then that is a problem. I have since removed it out of line because it does not work. I use my Alpha Delta switch which is a solid switch for the same price and the LDG antenna switch which hands down beats them both. If you want a good switch spend the money and get a good one like the LDG or Alpha Delta. Remember, you get what you pay for and sometimes you overpay and get MFjunk.
KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2008 04:59 Send this review to a friend
NO PROBLEMS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have three of these switches and have had no problems. Of course, if you abuse them, as N2FT writes in his review: I was using it last night to tune my amp into a dummy load with 1200 watts output keydown for about 10 seconds.... The documentation states the switch is good for 1KW CW. IF you overload it by 20 percent????
W6DTW Rating: 2/5 Dec 22, 2007 02:33 Send this review to a friend
OK once I reworked the guts  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
As described by others; this switch can become problematic if you over-tighten connectors on it. I also found that the internal contacts on mine were not making full contact.

Fixing the over-tightened connectors is simple. Unscrew the three phillips screws and remove the cover. The switch body itself rotates on a bearing surface in the cover, so don't don't let the switch body slip out. A quick visual inspection will show if the connector has been misaligned or not. Ground is tied by the switch housing, so you're only dealing with the center conductors. Gently tweak the contact back into alignment with needle-nose pliers.

Resolving the "not making full contact" issue was a bit trickier. The contacts are essentially steel buttons on a copper-alloy strip that's bent by the switch body to open the circuit. On my switch the copper strip was not bent correctly and so the steel button was seating on an edge instead of flat. I bent the copper strip so that the button would sit flat but then the tension was insufficient to make good contact. I had to bend the other side of the copper strip to add additional tension so the button would seat again.