Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | MFJ-1702C 2 Position Switch Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1702C 2 Position Switch
MFJ-1702C 2 Position Switch Reviews: 35 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $24.95
Description: 2 Position 450 MHz Switch With Center Ground Position
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1702C

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1702C 2 Position Switch.

N0YXE Rating: 3/5 Jun 9, 2008 20:33 Send this review to a friend
It seems to work ok!  Time owned: more than 12 months
What's the difference between a four or a five? I have no idea. My switcher works ok. This is probably an amazing feat for any MFJ product!

I have ONLY four MFJ products in my life:

1. Dummy load
2. Antenna switcher (two position) The four position one is an Alpha Delta. It has my main antenna on it!!! (not taking a chance)
3. Two radio controlled clocks. One for portable use, one in the shack.

That"s all folks.

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2008 12:51 Send this review to a friend
I use 4 of them! GREAT !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 4 of these switches! I use them in different configurations taking rigs in and out and switching between antennas. They take the legal limit without a problem and have lasted several years so far. I also use one of the 4 position switches too. Never an issue with any of them.

N2QQF Rating: 2/5 Jan 7, 2008 07:32 Send this review to a friend
Not to good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well, here is a switch that I have had for 1 year and I can tell you this switch is not very good. Anyone that says this switch is great either has no experience with good quality switches or they luckily got one that miraculously works. I have the 4 Position Alpha Delta switches which work very well and have had some of the same issues with loose knobs but it at least is fixable. The MFJ switch is not a good quality switch. I believe that when you sell something it should work more than 6 months. The knob comes completely loose almost to the point of being stripped. The knob spins and the contacts donít line up correctly.

While I understand not abusing something that is all well but switches are made to be switched. They are not to be made to be switched only once or twice a month. When you run a proper station with multiple antennas you need to switch back and forth to get the best signal for the station you are working. When your switches fail because of average use then that is a problem. I have since removed it out of line because it does not work. I use my Alpha Delta switch which is a solid switch for the same price and the LDG antenna switch which hands down beats them both. If you want a good switch spend the money and get a good one like the LDG or Alpha Delta. Remember, you get what you pay for and sometimes you overpay and get MFjunk.

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2008 04:59 Send this review to a friend
NO PROBLEMS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have three of these switches and have had no problems. Of course, if you abuse them, as N2FT writes in his review: I was using it last night to tune my amp into a dummy load with 1200 watts output keydown for about 10 seconds.... The documentation states the switch is good for 1KW CW. IF you overload it by 20 percent????

W6DTW Rating: 2/5 Dec 22, 2007 02:33 Send this review to a friend
OK once I reworked the guts  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
As described by others; this switch can become problematic if you over-tighten connectors on it. I also found that the internal contacts on mine were not making full contact.

Fixing the over-tightened connectors is simple. Unscrew the three phillips screws and remove the cover. The switch body itself rotates on a bearing surface in the cover, so don't don't let the switch body slip out. A quick visual inspection will show if the connector has been misaligned or not. Ground is tied by the switch housing, so you're only dealing with the center conductors. Gently tweak the contact back into alignment with needle-nose pliers.

Resolving the "not making full contact" issue was a bit trickier. The contacts are essentially steel buttons on a copper-alloy strip that's bent by the switch body to open the circuit. On my switch the copper strip was not bent correctly and so the steel button was seating on an edge instead of flat. I bent the copper strip so that the button would sit flat but then the tension was insufficient to make good contact. I had to bend the other side of the copper strip to add additional tension so the button would seat again.

WD8AJJ Rating: 4/5 Mar 13, 2007 13:01 Send this review to a friend
nice switch  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had mine for years and no problems.

W4VD Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2007 00:16 Send this review to a friend
Works for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I too have had good luck so far with one of these switches, I think it's fairly well made and quite heavy, there is supposed to be some sort of lightning/surge protection built in as well, I use the 2 position switch to move my 756 Icom from the HF antennas to the 6 meter yagi, I have been pleased so far.

W5ONV Rating: 3/5 Dec 9, 2006 10:19 Send this review to a friend
Works Now !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked one of these up a couple of years ago and right out of the box the coax connectors were loose.I would try and tighten the PL-259's and they would just keep turning on the female connector.I tightened the set screws on the mounted connectors on the case and all was ok then.It has been working ok ever since,I use only 100 watts though.I guess that MFJ must must have been in a hurry forgetting to tighten the connectors ??

K2ANE Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2006 06:57 Send this review to a friend
Works for me!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have several of these switches and I find that they are FB. I particularly like the feature that allows them to ground themselves out. This allows passing clouds on my hilltop that are charged to bleed to ground via my antennas. Of couse this is not for lightning protection.

I know it is good practice to disconnect antennas when not in use. However when I am home I keep them active for listening purposes. In the past I'd hear other brands of switches arcing when passing charged clouds induced high voltages in the antennas. With these switches I have not had that problem.

As for power through them, I operate with 100 watts here so I can't remark on the high power aspects. I have opened these units up routinely to check the contacts out and they have been very clean. That to me means they are seating correctly and transferring power efficiently.

All in all I have no complaints with these switches.

de K2ANE

WV4I Rating: 3/5 Dec 9, 2006 05:45 Send this review to a friend
2M legal limit...no  Time owned: more than 12 months
I managed to fry one of these switches running legal limit SSB on 2m. The insulator on the common input, and one of the outputs was swelled and distorted. Inside, a contact arm was fried off. Not sure if you can do this at HF legal limit, especially with SSB? Know power limits are usually lower at higher freqs for meters, switches, etc., but none published for 2m and this switch, but don't think it should do this, at least on SSB. Moral....don't send your radio back for service with a deaf receiver complaint, until you check EVERYTHING in the antenna line. Came close here.

Incidentally, see K7VO, Caity, has a post here. See ham to ham references on Eham/QTH/QRZ. Enough said.