Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Icom IC-2AT Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-2AT
Icom IC-2AT Reviews: 44 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $ic-2at
Description: VHF Hand Held

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-2AT.

K4TIN Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2017 17:08 Send this review to a friend
Cool Little Brick  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought at Long's Electronics back about 1976, so long ago. Toted it with me when long distance driving (work connected.)
Works well--no scanning, memories.
Still plays as well as the day bought.
200 skins back then = over 500 today's money!
Last Icom 2 meter HH I bought cost 85.

N2MDV Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2017 11:19 Send this review to a friend
A great gift to give. Now I wish I'd kept it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've briefly had the 3AT, 2AT, 4AT, and still have the marine band version of this rig. The amateur versions of these rigs were given to my cousin when he 1st got his HAM ticket, and he used these HT's to the MAX as HT's, mobiles, and bases. Great TX / RX audio on these HT's, solid construction, and the thumb wheels FREQ selecting are like being back out in the military field operations again. (My Dad, whom normally is radio inept, was able to work the marine version of these rig from his Army field training.) Yeah, no CTCSS on these, but there are still PL board kits for that out there. If you see these at hamfests for under $100.00, very much worth it!

KA1VF Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2015 17:24 Send this review to a friend
my first 2 meter HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these new on my way home from the
FCC Field Office in Boston, MA. It was my reward
for passing their upgrade exam from General class
to Advanced class. It got a lot of use for about
6 years until it was stolen from my car which was
parked in my driveway. note: Still have original
box and some accessories which I should probably
advertise for sale.

WB6TOM Rating: 2/5 Apr 25, 2014 13:04 Send this review to a friend
I would not have any other   Time owned: more than 12 months
The ic-2at works for me I first purchase it in the 1970t and it has been stored away in a box for the last 25 years so about a month ago I dug it out and fired it up and still works great except it will not work on the up split (+600) so since I don't have anyone around that can fix it and I don't see that well anymore I purchase one on e-bay (used) and got it today and low and behold the one I got off ebay works the same (no +600 up split in transmit, any ideas ..

WB6CSH Rating: 4/5 Mar 30, 2014 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Solid HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
Despite being one of the first multi-frequency capable HTs on the ham market, it was a rugged HT that had a lot of battery and speaker-mic options. Mine was stolen out of my truck back in 1991, but I still remember how well it performed, despite the abuse that it received.

It could only be on one frequency at a time, but the thumbwheel switches allowed QSO easily. I had the version without the DTMF pad.

KG4KRX Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2014 15:26 Send this review to a friend
Icom IC-2AT   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have an Icom IC-2AT that does not look like the ones that I have seen elsewhere. On mine, it has up/down switches to change the channel and frequency, and an LCD display. Charged it up, I found that the display was bad. After figuring out the frequency it is working great. If I could find a new display screen for it, I would be a happy camper. As for now, I have it on 146.52 and am gonna use it to monitor with.

KG4KRX Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2014 15:24 Send this review to a friend
Icom IC-2AT   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have an Icom IC-2AT that does not look like the ones that I have seen elsewhere. On mine, it has up/down switches to change the channel, and an LCD display. After charging it up, I found that the display was bad. After figuring out the frequency it is working great. If I could find a new display screen for it, I would be a happy camper. As for now, I have it on 146.52 and am gonna use it to monitor with.

N7AQQ Rating: 4/5 Jan 31, 2014 14:58 Send this review to a friend
Solid radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my IC2A-T brand new in the early 1980's and it is still going strong. I still prefer it over newer handhelds I own for throwing in a mobile with an external antenna. The speaker audio output beats anything I have heard from newer handhelds for loudness and clarity, a definite plus in a noisy environment like a mobile. And what a breeze to operate! The frequency thumbwheels on top and mode switches on the back are far preferable to the overly complicated and hard to use gizmos produced today. The only complaint I have is that it doesn't do PL tones from the factory, a virtual must for repeater operation nowadays. I recently installed an aftermarket PL generator board internally, fixed on a single tone that works on the local machine as a partial solution.

KD5FLN Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2014 20:37 Send this review to a friend
Wow!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought my 2AT from a ebay seller and its in near mint condition. The key pad looks as if it was never used and a little wipe down with a disinfectant towelet it looked as good as new. Still had the plastic over the icons. I have a couple still new in box IC-BP4's which hold 6 AA batteries and after powering up the radio and switching to my local rag chewing simplex freq I had my first contact nearly 4 miles away! Keep in mind that I live on a 2nd floor apt, but still! Audio was nice & loud, clear, the volume & squelch controls are snug & precise. My Tx report was that I was crystal clear & good signal, not bad for 1.5 watts high pwr! Now I know that is HT is a bit more heavier & robust than the small HT's on the market today but this thing is built tough! I bought it for the purpose of local rag chewing on simplex as it doesnt have a PL tone board. But Those can still be bought for just under 30 bux and its an easy instal. I'm still thinking about doing it so I can use repeaters, I enjoy this radio so much that it gets more air time than my new Alinco....

W3TO Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2012 18:03 Send this review to a friend
battery for IC2/2at  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just to let you fellow hams know there are batteries available for the icom 2/2at.Batteries America has them--BP8H 1400mah 8 v for 39.95
I bought one for my TANK
Gud luck Jim W3TO