Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Icom IC-2AT Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-2AT
Icom IC-2AT Reviews: 44 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $ic-2at
Description: VHF Hand Held

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-2AT.

AA7BI Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2012 08:30 Send this review to a friend
A Time-Tested Classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
OK, so it doesn't do all the fancy stuff the new radios do, but here's what it does for me:

Living in Montana and Saskatchewan I leave these in my vehicles year round and don't ever remove them when it gets cold. Once in February after coaxing my pickup to start in -51F, I reached down to turn on the IC2AT. The squelch kerchunked on very slowly. When I pressed the PTT, I felt and heard the frost crunching inside the switch. The repeater instantly responded and I had a perfect QSO.

LCDs fade, fancy processors freeze up and newer radios just don't work under conditions like that. I wouldn't trust them for a minute. I don't think there's another radio out there that works every time and is as tough as the IC2AT!

73 de AA7BI/VE5

N3IDG Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2011 09:35 Send this review to a friend
abrams tank of talkies  Time owned: more than 12 months
well I am on my third 2at ,for what they are they are the Abrams tanks of talkies. my first two died only due to my negligence. one reversed polarity hook up of external power source i let the smoke out, second one death by hitting concrete traumatically. current one to be my every day car mobile .we have a great repeater. so the low power is no drawback .

KC7SBQ Rating: 4/5 Jun 18, 2010 13:01 Send this review to a friend
After 30 years a solid radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
After thirty years my 2AT still works. I've gone through many batteries, but the radio itself is well built. It's a little bulky compared to the crummy mini radios like my Yaesu VX-3, but it has good audio and good full RF output, it has good sensitivity. I wish I could buy this stout of a radio without the frills and other junk that comes in these new modern radios. One of these days I'll add a tone board to it and then I can work the subtone repeaters. My 2AT gets more use than my goofy little VX-3.

KZ1X Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2010 13:00 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
This model Icom radio may well hold the record for the longest amateur rig production run, and number of sets sold. There were most decidedly not "a few made."

Also, brand new battery packs, as well as many other accessories, are readily available.

Used and in good condition, these radios are available at hamfests and often for as little as $25. Parts-donor radios can often be had for the asking, and repairs (when needed) are well within the ability of many hams. The radios make good APRS transceivers as well as still being viable for voice service, and for those applications that need it, a CTCSS board is still available from ComSpec.

KC7OAW Rating: 4/5 Apr 7, 2010 09:35 Send this review to a friend
KC7OAW  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have only had to go inside it once over the years. Broke the antenna connection to the board. I thought it was a commponent but it just had a plastic ring on it so the robot could solder it in. I consider this to be minimal maintainence over the long life of this radio.

I have found the low power not to be a problem. When I was on foot I was close enough to be heard. I have used extrenal antenas (sometims just a simple 1/4 wave whip) when mobile and when I needed to reach farther a small amp was used.

The problem I have is the power source. I was not lucky enough to get a the battery pack befor they were all gone (years ago). They only made a few of these radios and good luck finding anything for them. No one in their right mind will ever give up the batery holder for it. I have found a place where if I did have dead packs I can get them rebuilt. That is if I had undamaged from pervious rebuilds to send out. Even if you do get a new pack for it, its not going to be able to compaire with the preformance of todays lithium ion packs.

I have replaced my IC-2AT with a VX3R. So far I have liked the radio part of the Icom better but that doesn't do me any good if I can't keep it powered up. I can use a cell phone battery in the Yeasu and yes I bought the battery holder with the radio witout delay this time!

If I could go back in time I would of bought a more populer mini or the full size Icom. I am going to rebuild the one beat up battery pack I do have one more time and loan it to a new Ham that needs it for now.

W8AAZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2010 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Simple classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
These keep on going and going..I have owned a few over the years, have two now, but as backups mostly. No tone access. You could probably insert those postage stamp sized single tone boards in it, set them on 100 hz and go as alot of rptrs use that tone. If you can only get a 2A version, who cares? With cells, no one much does autopatch anymore. If yours is pretty old, it might do to download the service manual. I go thru every few years and tweek the slugs that adjust the frequency so I am right on. You need the right tweeker or might break the tiny ferrites! More than just the single ref. trimmer on newer radios. Forget messing with the old batteries, try to get alkaline packs as 2ATs do not drain the batts. like new HTs when turned off. Only 15 mA drain in squelched rec. mode. R.S. made an HT that had interchangeable batt. packs if you can find those too. If it works when you get it it should continue to do so for years. Great loaner radio for beginners if no tones required for the local rptr. A true classic.

KC4VTX Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2010 19:55 Send this review to a friend
Many, many years  Time owned: more than 12 months
First radio I ever got, gift from my grandfather when I passed my first Tech Plus license. Almost 20 years ago. Solid radio, great reception, consistent transmissions. In November, it was sent up with a weather balloon to over 100,000 feet, low power 1 watt, homemade 1/4 wave dipole from TV coax, outside temp about -50d (inside?), and it was heard up to 390 miles away (furthest reporting station). Didn't skip a beat. Was great to get it out of mothballs and have now worries as to whether it was going to work or not. Like others, use as secondary beater radio (in the Jeep, hamfests, APRS, etc).

Use with my old HeathKit amp in the Jeep for 40W. Again, no worries!

Yes, have other 2M radios to compare to. This is simple and dependable.

Great radio.

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2009 11:19 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for packet radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned way way beyond 12 months! :-)

I have had an IC-2AT for years. There has been a renaissance of packet radio interest in my area, so rather than tie up my 50 watt base rig on the TNC, I pulled out my trusty IC-2AT. Building the TNC-to-radio interface cable was fairly easy and I still had the DC-1 power adapter so I could run it continuously off my DC power supply. It works perfectly and with a small quarter wave ground plane I can reach everyone I want to reach with it. Not bad for a 25 year old rig I'd say.

KB3PXR Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2008 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Great for My Dad  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought it for my newly licensed Dad at a hamfest. I admit I have used it more so far than he has, but it is easy for him as there are no menus. This radio will also teach the fundamentals of repeater operation +/- offsets and simplex vs. duplex setting as these are manual and not automatic like mine. No CTCSS, but that is not needed in this area as the local repeaters will also have DTMF access when the PL is turned on.

Reasons I gave it a 5:
-Simple operation
-Learning tool
-Obviously can take abuse as the paint is worn off of this one as well.

W4ABW Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2008 10:42 Send this review to a friend
A good 2m Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I cannot remember when I got my IC-2AT. I dropped it into a fast running creek in the GSMNP once but it came out fine. I made a lot of qso's from trails in the National Park and even called for a rescue once. My AT still has years of life, I hope.

Last Time owned category should have a More than 12 years, HI !