Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Icom IC-2AT Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-2AT
Icom IC-2AT Reviews: 40 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $ic-2at
Description: VHF Hand Held

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-2AT.

KC7OAW Rating: 4/5 Apr 7, 2010 09:35 Send this review to a friend
KC7OAW  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have only had to go inside it once over the years. Broke the antenna connection to the board. I thought it was a commponent but it just had a plastic ring on it so the robot could solder it in. I consider this to be minimal maintainence over the long life of this radio.

I have found the low power not to be a problem. When I was on foot I was close enough to be heard. I have used extrenal antenas (sometims just a simple 1/4 wave whip) when mobile and when I needed to reach farther a small amp was used.

The problem I have is the power source. I was not lucky enough to get a the battery pack befor they were all gone (years ago). They only made a few of these radios and good luck finding anything for them. No one in their right mind will ever give up the batery holder for it. I have found a place where if I did have dead packs I can get them rebuilt. That is if I had undamaged from pervious rebuilds to send out. Even if you do get a new pack for it, its not going to be able to compaire with the preformance of todays lithium ion packs.

I have replaced my IC-2AT with a VX3R. So far I have liked the radio part of the Icom better but that doesn't do me any good if I can't keep it powered up. I can use a cell phone battery in the Yeasu and yes I bought the battery holder with the radio witout delay this time!

If I could go back in time I would of bought a more populer mini or the full size Icom. I am going to rebuild the one beat up battery pack I do have one more time and loan it to a new Ham that needs it for now.

W8AAZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2010 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Simple classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
These keep on going and going..I have owned a few over the years, have two now, but as backups mostly. No tone access. You could probably insert those postage stamp sized single tone boards in it, set them on 100 hz and go as alot of rptrs use that tone. If you can only get a 2A version, who cares? With cells, no one much does autopatch anymore. If yours is pretty old, it might do to download the service manual. I go thru every few years and tweek the slugs that adjust the frequency so I am right on. You need the right tweeker or might break the tiny ferrites! More than just the single ref. trimmer on newer radios. Forget messing with the old batteries, try to get alkaline packs as 2ATs do not drain the batts. like new HTs when turned off. Only 15 mA drain in squelched rec. mode. R.S. made an HT that had interchangeable batt. packs if you can find those too. If it works when you get it it should continue to do so for years. Great loaner radio for beginners if no tones required for the local rptr. A true classic.

KC4VTX Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2010 19:55 Send this review to a friend
Many, many years  Time owned: more than 12 months
First radio I ever got, gift from my grandfather when I passed my first Tech Plus license. Almost 20 years ago. Solid radio, great reception, consistent transmissions. In November, it was sent up with a weather balloon to over 100,000 feet, low power 1 watt, homemade 1/4 wave dipole from TV coax, outside temp about -50d (inside?), and it was heard up to 390 miles away (furthest reporting station). Didn't skip a beat. Was great to get it out of mothballs and have now worries as to whether it was going to work or not. Like others, use as secondary beater radio (in the Jeep, hamfests, APRS, etc).

Use with my old HeathKit amp in the Jeep for 40W. Again, no worries!

Yes, have other 2M radios to compare to. This is simple and dependable.

Great radio.

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2009 11:19 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for packet radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned way way beyond 12 months! :-)

I have had an IC-2AT for years. There has been a renaissance of packet radio interest in my area, so rather than tie up my 50 watt base rig on the TNC, I pulled out my trusty IC-2AT. Building the TNC-to-radio interface cable was fairly easy and I still had the DC-1 power adapter so I could run it continuously off my DC power supply. It works perfectly and with a small quarter wave ground plane I can reach everyone I want to reach with it. Not bad for a 25 year old rig I'd say.

KB3PXR Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2008 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Great for My Dad  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought it for my newly licensed Dad at a hamfest. I admit I have used it more so far than he has, but it is easy for him as there are no menus. This radio will also teach the fundamentals of repeater operation +/- offsets and simplex vs. duplex setting as these are manual and not automatic like mine. No CTCSS, but that is not needed in this area as the local repeaters will also have DTMF access when the PL is turned on.

Reasons I gave it a 5:
-Simple operation
-Learning tool
-Obviously can take abuse as the paint is worn off of this one as well.

W4ABW Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2008 10:42 Send this review to a friend
A good 2m Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I cannot remember when I got my IC-2AT. I dropped it into a fast running creek in the GSMNP once but it came out fine. I made a lot of qso's from trails in the National Park and even called for a rescue once. My AT still has years of life, I hope.

Last Time owned category should have a More than 12 years, HI !

K5ENA Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2008 09:15 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I took my IC-2AT out of my desk drawer the other day. Still works like a charm, accessing the local 28-88 non-pl tone repeater. I acquired this radio at a local hamfest in 1982. Just like the Energizer bunny, keeps going and going, etc.

John, K5ENA

AC5XP Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2008 06:49 Send this review to a friend
Great design from Icom, a true classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio stems from the late seventies, and was the first Icom hand-held in a whole family of portables that were to follow it. It was a roaring market success for Icom, selling like hotcakes. It actually built up a cult following of hams.
Icom also used the design as a platform for professional radios. As an example, the IC-M12 VHF marine hand-held of the same era uses exactly the same radio board and synthesizer, but the thumbwheels are replaced by a 12-position switch which drives a programmable diode matrix.
I remember the IC-2AT well because in the early eighties, a friend of mine bought it as his first radio when he got his ticket and he let me use it extensively, albeit in the IC-2T form (without the DTMF keypad but similar otherwise)
I remember it to be an impressive radio. Very light-weight; standby time was very good; receiver was sensitive and selective and modulation was excellent. It's also built very well and therefore reliable.
A nice touch were the thumbwheel switches; simple but effective, and they yielded it the earlier mentioned cult following. So nothing but praise for this little radio. The only drawback for today's use would be the absence of the PL tones of course.
A year or so ago I saw one offered for sale on a hamfest for $10, in really nice cosmetic condition and factory original. I figured it probably wouldn't work but all the service documentation for this one is available on the web so it should not be too difficult to fix it, as radios like these were not equipped yet with the hard-to-find custom chips that plague today's throw-away radios when they go bust.
So the nostalgia got the better part of me and I bought it. You can imagine my surprise when I came home and it turned out to work like a champ. Like new, after 30 years.
So it now has a special place in my collection of 1970-1980's radios, which I consider the golden years of ham radio.
Noteworthy is, that some of the radios in my collection have developed black LCDs unfortunately. These early LCDs do not seem to last much longer than about 20 years due to the imperfect seal between the glass layers. Needless to say my IC-2AT won't suffer this fate; I have never seen a thumbwheel switch goes black...
Meet you on the band with your IC-2AT, on a repeater without PL tones of course!
73s, Loek d'Hont AC5XP

KB2HSH Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2008 15:47 Send this review to a friend
The Rig, The Myth, The LEGEND  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I received my ticket in 1988, there were two radios that caught my eye: the original Argonaut and the IC-2AT. Thanks to a quick trip to eBay, I picked one up for $25.00. (It is pristine for a 25 year old radio!) To say it's a bit weighty is an understatement, but it has an amazing receiver, and is tough as nails.

Compared to the last "full size" HT I had (Alinco DJ-120T), it is fantastic on AA batteries (via the BP4 alkaline pack). It lasts for DAYS on APRS with nothing more than 600 mAH AA Ni-Cads pulled from solar lights that I ran over with my Yamaha.

Next step is to pick up a 4AT to complete my OLD SKOOL portable satellite station.

KB2FCV Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2007 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Simple and Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my hamfest/utility radio. I can't remember how long ago I bought it but it seems like forever. I sold my chargers for it a long time ago and just use the alkaline pack with it. You can't kill this radio. It's so easy to just dial where you want to talk. I wish it had PL from the factory.. I just don't have the heart to put after-market mods in it. I'll have this for a lifetime. Oh, I also have the 3AT and 4AT as well.