Reviews Categories | Microphones for ham radio | Heil HM10 (-4, -5, or Dual elements) Help

Reviews Summary for Heil HM10 (-4, -5, or Dual elements)
Heil HM10 (-4, -5, or Dual elements) Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $65 (4/5) or 115 (dual) + 30 (int
Description: Heil Sound microphone

You can write your own review of the Heil HM10 (-4, -5, or Dual elements).

M0HDX Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2017 14:55 Send this review to a friend
HC-5 Insert  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the heil HM-10 with the single HC-5 element fitted, The audio quality always improves on any radio i use the HM-10 on.I would never sell this microphone and constantly get compliments on how good my audio sounds.

The HM-10 with the Heil HC-5 element is a keeper.

jim M0HDX
NW7OR Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2016 00:07 Send this review to a friend
As good as my voice gets.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this mic about twenty or so years ago. It worked perfectly on my Kenwood TS-50S back then, and it still works perfectly now on my Icom IC-7100. So far, folks have been impressed with the audio quality on both elements. Simply speaking into it about one inch away, and maybe turned to the side a little, in a telephone conversational tone and volume, seems to give the best quality. Your results may vary.
KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2012 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Great product!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was surprised to see I had not reviewed my Heil HM-10 dual. I think I have been using it for around 8 years on various rigs. I really like the ability to go from the rag chew element to that penetrating DX element at the flick of a switch. It is one of those items in the shack I have just come to take for granted. It just keeps on working, every day. And with very articulate audio. Thanks, Bob!
WB1CQW Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2011 17:09 Send this review to a friend
#5 element best for me  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the Goldline dual with #4 & wide broadcast element. The wide element got several reports in the "bad" to "awful" range. I sent it back to AES the next day. Unfortunately the old style discontinued model silver & gray color HM-10 Dual with #4 & #5 elements was almost impossible to find. After several hours of telephone calls throughout the country I found one. This is what I use now 100% of the time to replace my previous HM-10 with #5 element. I almost never use the #4 DX element, which may be effective, but does not sound great. But the #5 gets consistently good reports. I spoke personally to Bob Heil about why the #5 element sounded good and the wide oldline element was so bad. The reason ewas my rig, a TS-to from the early 90's, has no EQ. You need a newer rig with mike adjustments to use the newer Goldline series. And the reason for discontinuing the older gray & silver Heil HM-10 dual was that after making 100,000 #5 elements their machine tools were failing and it wasn't cost-effective to retool. It just didn't make sense to continue with the old Dual HM-10's since virtually all newer rigs have some form of mike adjustment. The broadcast element is probably very good, but of no use for a Kenwood TS-50. By the way, this is the same element used by the sports commentators on TV with their padded Heil Pro headsets. My conclusion: Bob Heil is a gentleman who makes good products, which I've beebn using 20 years now.
IK0VVG Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2010 10:30 Send this review to a friend
NICE SOUND  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using it with my Icom IC-7700 and the 8 Band W2IHY Equalizer and the reports I got so far are excellent modulation with both HC-4 and HC-5 cartridge.
PY2KPY Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2010 17:42 Send this review to a friend
very good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hello, I leave resgisters my satisfaction, I have always won praise and well understood by the DX station, where I searched for various microphones and was never satisfied, my search ended at HEIL HM10 really good, perfectly matched with my Yaesu FT450 by, for Narrow position in DX and local contacts in wide position, I recommend 73!
W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2010 16:41 Send this review to a friend
VERY NICE SOUND  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am using the HM-10 Dual Element on my ICOM 746 PRO.I use ONLY the HC-5 cartridge because I think the HC-4 DX element sounds "YUK" on most any radio.May be fine for some but NOT for me.I did NOT plan on using the HC-4 when I traded for the microphone so it's NOT even an issue for me.I use the microphone with a HEIL FS-2 footswitch just like I do with my HEIL PR-20 & my ICOM 756 PROII.NOW my desk has PLENTY of CLEAR space for logbooks & other STUFF!Thanks BOB HEIL for another "WINNER"! }:>)

KI4CRA Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2009 21:27 Send this review to a friend
Nice mic for my ProIII  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only had the mic 3 weeks so this is just a first impressions review. For working DX, switch the mic to narrow and awaay we go. So far I really like the way the mic works with my 3 week old ProIII. Will give another review in a couple of months when I've been able to put it through its paces.

73 de Mark
N5EPI Rating: 2/5 Aug 13, 2008 16:56 Send this review to a friend
Keep your solder gun warm  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since day one I have had to solder the wires back to both elms. Heil makes great micís but someone was sleeping when they put this micís together. I was lucky that when I first received the mic I wrote the color code down to the two elms. It seems like the #4 elm wire is always falling off.
TNK for you time
73's DE N5EPI Tim.
WY4J Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2007 11:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Microphone  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Except for the fact that the mike had an unsoldered connection and had to go back two months after I purchased it. I am VERY happy I've made this purchased. Every time I get on the air all I hear is how GREAT the audio sounds. This mike is a great little match for my Icom 746PRO.

I wish that you did not have to call Heil on your dime since they do not have an 800 number or that they cover the shipping charges on warranty work but like the Rolling Stones song goes, you can't always have what you want, but you can have what you need.

Again, GREAT microphone and BOB was gracious enough to personally call me after receiving the mike and letter in regards to the shipping policy.