Reviews Categories | Receive Pre-amps | Ameco PT-3 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameco PT-3
Ameco PT-3 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: A receiver preamp that installs between the radio and the antenna connection. Can add up to 20 DB of amplification to received signals.

You can write your own review of the Ameco PT-3.

KD5RDY Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2009 16:27 Send this review to a friend
I like it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don't use it all the time, but sometimes it makes all the difference. Here is a link to the PT3-RA mod. http://www.flickr.com/photos/22369075@N07/
It allows me to have separate RX and TX antennas.
Pretty easy mod.
Have Fun!

W6YDE Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2008 07:45 Send this review to a friend
Works very well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own two PT-3s, I like them better that the MFJ's, because of the TR switching. I am 100% CW/QRP. I don't need to pull in weak signals. If the sending staion is not S-6 or better... they will never hear me. I use my PT-3 for de-tunning the signal to remove QRN and QRM. They work very well for this part of your receiving system and with the TR relay... when I transmit... the PT-3 is out of the antenna system and the de-tune is not in the antenna circuit.
73 Mike/W6YDE

N2BIX Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2008 19:45 Send this review to a friend
hot preamp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hooked this up to my Icom 736 and it was able to pull out readable signals that the Icom didn't even know were there. This is true of 80 meters and 20 meters so far.Strong signal level increase to barely readable signals.

AF4KK Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2006 07:36 Send this review to a friend
This unit WORKS well!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Wow, I've hooked up the Ameco PT-3 to my Icom IC-7000 and it sure is HOT! It doesn't create alot of noise and it sure amplifies the desired signal! The tuning control is a bit sensitive but once you get used to it, it's not a biggie! Very well done!

K4XS Rating: 1/5 Oct 21, 2005 08:19 Send this review to a friend
Don't buy this one  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up one of these for use on 160 and 80. It was a total bust on 160, and not too great on 80. Yes, it is a hot amp, but the garbage it generates on 160 makes the band unusable on 160 and to a lesser extent on 80. Birdies are all over the place.

It works well on 40 and higher, but do not expect a great preamp for 80 or 160. I am going back to my old PLF2.

AA8EK Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2002 13:45 Send this review to a friend
nice product.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned the PT-3 for 6 months and I find that it increases rceived signals dramatically. The only drawback is it increases the QRM that you receive also. I find that it works best on the higher HF frequencies, such as 6,10,12 and 15 meters. I have used it most frequently on 10 meter SSB and I am very happy with the preformance on that band. It can take a S-7 signal and make it sound as it is 20 DB over 9.