Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Piexx UX-14PX Interface for IC-751A Help

Reviews Summary for Piexx UX-14PX Interface for IC-751A
Piexx UX-14PX    Interface for IC-751A Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $139
Description: UX-14 Clone CI- IV To CI- V Level Convertor for IC-751A, R-71A and 71 series All Mode V/UHF rigs. Adds Band Stacking Registers and 6 scratch pad memories. Also controls other Icom Rigs that use CT-17 interface addresses.
More info: http://www.piexx.com/cgi-bin/piexx.cgi?p=home

You can write your own review of the Piexx UX-14PX Interface for IC-751A.

KA4VAS Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2012 22:25 Send this review to a friend
Wow, Great Product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the UX-14px interface for my Icom IC-751 on a Thursday and received the board a few days later on a Monday. I installed the board the next day and within a few hours I was controlling the IC-751 using Ham Radio Deluxe V5.22.

The installation is fairly easy; just be careful if you wish to use the “S” meter in your software application as the blue wire from the UX-14px has to be soldered to the white (positive) wire of the “S” meter. When installing the wire you will notice that the “S” meter has three white wires terminated on a PC board, two of the white wires are a thicker gauge and originate from the “S” meter lamp, the other white wire that you attach to is thinner gauge and is placed next to the black wire on the same PC board. Use a good solder iron, tack the blue wire to the solder pad of the thinner white wire and your good to go.

If you use Ham Radio Deluxe be sure to delete any radio that you may have used for Demo as this will surely frustrate you when you can’t get the IC-751 to respond. Once removed leave the radio settings for the IC-751 in the default mode and success will by yours.
Great Product.
73’s
Kevin
KA4VAS

VE2EZD Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2012 19:07 Send this review to a friend
Great product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just added an UX-14PX to a recently acquired Icom IC-751A (old logo and PBT).

With this module you get:
- computer control (CI-V and serial)
- interface with the s-meter
- remembers the last frequency used for each band
- sets the power up band start location

A great quality board with clear installation instructions.

I ordered at the same time their IcomProm and
Piexx shipped my order very fast. I received it here in Canada in less than a week.

What a great product and a great company!

Thank you for helping us keeping these great not so young radios on the air.

73s

N1CKX Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2011 18:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Product Great Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the PIEXX computer interface in my 751A as well as the PIEXX 751A Memory upgrade.

I also have the PIEXX TU-5 Tone boards in both my Kenwood TS-711 and TS-811 Radios.

Every order placed arrived within 2 days. (I do live in NH near Chris)

Chris has proved to me to be VERY helpful and even had me bring in my Rig when I had a problem (Broken solder joint in the Radio, NOT his board).

Product and Service Flawless.

HIGHLY recommended.

VE3GRF Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2008 09:19 Send this review to a friend
new life into an old rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was prompted to write this review because of the one very negative review in this category. In fact, I almost didn't order this product because of that review. I became concerned when my UX-14 didn't arrive in 2 weeks, so I emailed Chriss. Even though I emailed him late at night, I received a reply within an hour. He provided a tracking number for me and I went to the USPS tracking site. The tracking site confirmed that Chriss had shipped the product the day after I had ordered it, and there was a small delay at customs... no fault of Chriss', he doesn't control some lame brained customs officer. No problem, the product arrived and Chriss was quick to help out.

The UX-14 is clearly a quality built product.. no hand soldering here. The board couldn't have been easier to install, the entire job took less than 30 mininutes taking my time.

Interfacing to the comuter was a snap using the supplied patch cords, and I had instant communication using Ham Radio Deluxe.

Scanning rate is now blindingly fast, more what you would expect from a scanner than a rig, and all major radio functions are supported. In fact, I rarely touch the radio anymore, except to power it up. I could just as easily put it under my desk to make some much needed space although I still reach for the main VFO on the rig out of habit, which by the way is reflected on the frequency readout on ham radio deluxe instantaneously... no lag whatsoever.

I was hesitant to spend $140 bucks on a 30 year old rig worth only $400 or so, but I'm glad I did. The ux-14 breathed new life into an old radio.

The factory 751/A returns you to a factory set frequency evertime you change bands and anybody with a stock 751/A knows what I'm talking about and knows how annoying this is. The UX-14 solves that problem too, even when it's operated as a standalone rig without a computer connected.

Great product, great service, well worth the money.

W3BC Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2006 21:36 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding product and FAST service!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these for my IC-271A so I could control it with Ham Radio Deluxe. I placed the order online Friday evening, and was pleasantly surprised to receive email confirming my order had been shipped on Saturday morning. I received the item today, Monday (about 60 hours after I ordered it!)

Inside the box, was a well-made interface on glass boards with all the mounting hardware and connectors needed. Installation was a snap thanks in large part to the excellent copy of the instructions provided. All the parts fit perfectly, and the unit was easy to configure for my rig by reading the manual and flipping a few dip switches.

With my homebrew CI-V cable, I was immediately able to control the rig with HRD. I selected the "IC-751 (Piexx)" setting at 9600 baud, and within seconds, I saw the frequency displayed on the computer screen and the rig. Tuning one tuned the other. (It would be nice to be able to add custom rig definitions to HRD...)

My biggest disappointments with the IC-271A are the limited number of memories (32) and the slow (by today's standards) scanning rate. I was relieved to see HRD scan the band blindingly fast! I was pleased to see it track the ISS frequencies as they Doppler-shifted overhead.

All in all, it took me about an hour to install it, including carefully soldering the blue wire to the red meter lead connection to read the S-meter, and configuring HRD for my preferences for this rig and band.

What I ended up with was the performance of a whole new radio. Digital tuning, fast scanning, panoramic display, point and click frequency selection, satellite orbital tracking... I can't wait for a band opening to play with all these new features the Piexx UX-14 just added to my 15-year old radio!

When I get my next Icom "70 series" rig, I'll order one of these interfaces from Piexx in a heartbeat. Anybody have a spare 471, R71, R7000, or 751 they want to give me?

GI7DBN Rating: 0/5 Apr 28, 2006 13:35 Send this review to a friend
Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered, and paid in advance for this interface from Piexx over three months ago, and to date have received nothing. Chris has generally ignored my emails and has been unhelpful in tracing the package. It was sent uninsured and therefore it is I who is out of pocket. It pains me to write this review since in my 17 years in ham radio I have always found vendors to have integrity, be courteous and trustworthy; I now have reason to readjust that opinion. Caveat Emptor

VE7BGP Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2002 18:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Upgrade for those who love IC-751A's  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had an IC-751A for just over 2 years and I have been looking for the UX-14 computer interface board. I wanted auto frequency and mode entry in my YPLogging Program. I have ordered the UX-14PX clone Board for my IC-751A after seeing it on the Icomclassic website. I really like the addition of the Band Stacking Registers and the 6 Scratch Pad Memories. You can setup the default frequencies for each band on CW and SSB for each band from on initial rig power up then it remembers were you were on each band when you change bands. That makes the Band Button on the 751A more useful!! I also have an IC-706MKIIG in the shack. All that is needed to add computer control to your second rig is a 3.5mm to 3.5mm connector cable and a CAT program that controls the Icom rigs by their CI-V address. I use YPLog that supports up to 3 Rigs on it's CAT program.
The only small problem's I have noticed is when you change a frequency there is a delay changing frequencies in YPLog from the Freq list. And when you change a frequency that also changes the mode you get the mode change error and need to click on that Freq again to correct the error. It works fine on other CAT programs. If you have setup the UX-14PX on other Classic Icom rigs I'm looking forward to reading your reviews. See you on the air.
73 Gerry