Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Palstar WM150 Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar WM150
Palstar WM150 Reviews: 19 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $100
Description: Power SWR meter
More info: http://www.palstar.com

You can write your own review of the Palstar WM150.

W4MY Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2004 10:43 Send this review to a friend
Great Value, Quality Product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Don't know if I can add much more than the previous posts. Just want to let everyone know Palstar has another very satisfied customer. Bought mine at Dayton 2004 for $90.00. Its accurate, sturdy, easy to read, truely peak reading (when set for that) and looks good. Even the backlighting is just the right intensity for optimum clearity! I got to speak with the principals of Palstar at Dayton (sorry forgot the names) and they were very prowd of their workmanship and attention to detail. The partially torn apart tuners they had set out on display really pointed out the quality workmanship of these rigs. 5-Stars!

K0KAV Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2004 16:26 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent price/value ratio. This wattmeter works very well and is accurate. It is well constructed. I've had three different RF Applications wattmeters, including the VFD, Bird meters including the Peak reading meter and many others. I consider this one to be the best bang for the buck of them all. I don't see how you could beat it.

W2TTG Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2004 20:08 Send this review to a friend
...and great service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I echo the comments on the products quality.
But mine broke. No big deal: infant mortality
will always be with us.

Sent it back from NJ to OH by UPS ground, and
got it back IN SIX DAYS! That's a one day in
shop TAT, and that is just amazing.

What better test of a manufacturers committment
to quality and service. If you need one of
these meters, you should definately buy one.

N0XB Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2004 10:30 Send this review to a friend
Great meter  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After several other attempts at a mobile watt meter, I was tipped off to Palstar.

I ordered one direct from Palstar because I wanted a little longer remote cable. I spoke to the boss, who responded immediately.

The meter showed up a couple days later. As mentioned in other reviews, it is superbly made, heavy steel, warm, bright backlight, die cast aluminum remote pickup box. Very accurate, and works well in my car to monitor my SG500 mobile amp.

I highly recommend this watt meter for moble or fixed use. It would be very handy in the shack as well, if, for example, you'd like to read SWR at the output of an antenna switch or elsewhere that would not be conducive to placing the actual meter.

NXB
Northfield, MN

K6IOU Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2004 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Built Like a Tank!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this peak-reading wattmeter so I could get a better idea what was really happening while adjusting my linear for SSB operation.

This is my second Palstar product [I also have an AT4K tuner]. Their products are top-notch quality. Built to last. I was pleased to discover that the wattmeter can be user-adjusted for accuracy at any given range. The instructions for adjusting and wiring diagram come with it.

DON
K6IOU

KD5RBO Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2003 07:45 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Meter!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My cross needle meter in my 949e tuner went out a few months ago and I've been 'getting by' with a radio shack meter. Needless to say that has gotten old fast!

I looked around the net trying to get a feel for what was out there and read some good reviews on a number of meters.

I really liked the descriptions of the meter as well as the looks and my interest was up some about a 'peak reading' meter.

I also considered the Autek and a Kenwood meter (my neighbor W5BUG has two of the kenwoods and they are nice).

I placed the order directly on their website. They have a number of different shipping options. I chose 2nd day Fedex.

The package arrived while I was sleeping (work nights) and it was rainy outside. Fedex was kind enough to wrap the box in a plastic bag before placing it on my porch.

The meter was very well packed. The contents were the meter, the wall wart ps, packing slip and 4 page instruction manual.

The meter is a nice, large size and has a good hefty weight. Much better than my previous meters that tend to slide around more when pulled by the cables. The fit and finish on the thing is just great.

I hooked it up and powered up the rig and amplifier. Right out of the box the buttons were set with the backlight off, 300w setting and average reading so that is where I did my first tests.

Keying down cw matched what the rig is rated at. I then switched the amplifier over and moved the meter to the 3000w setting. Measured right at what my amplifier is rated at as well.

Next I switched from average to peak reading.
Nothing.

hmmm.. (made that sound out loud too! hi) At this point the punch line from some joke I can't remember popped into my head; 'Turn the key on you durned fool!' So I promptly unpacked the wall wart power supply that came with it and plugged it in and turned the light on.

When I turned the light on the left needle lifted just a tad and then fell back into place.

Repeated all tests cw and then voice. It worked wonderfully!

Now I've had a few cheaper meters that 'said' they were peak reading meters but never really noticed any big difference from the average setting on them. This, however, is the real deal!

How I went all this time without this meter I'll never know! Sharp, accurate peaks on voice at different voice levels as opposed to the needle just sitting low and sluggish (and wrong) on the average setting on my other meters.

I will most definately recommend this meter to you and my other friends and will look foward to doing business with them again.

Michael W5NIG

N0SP Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2003 01:06 Send this review to a friend
Solid, well built, accurate  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this unit at the Dayton Hamvention a few weeks ago. I was impressed with the heavy guage construction and nice finish of the unit. I've always been a bit suspicious of the many "wattmeters" on the market. Many are little more than rough indicators of power. As soon as I got this unit home I placed it in series with my Bird 43 wattmeter. I have two Bird 43s in fact, both in my HF signal path. One is after the exciter, the other after the amplifier. Both meters read identically. I placed the Palstar WM150 in series with these two meters at the output of the amplifier. I was VERY happy with the results. It tracked very very close, within a needle-width in accuracy. In fact, the only time I could actually discern ANY difference at all was at the very bottom of the scale... with the Palstar in the 300 watt position, and the 250 watt element in the Bird, when the Bird read 10 watts, the Palstar read about 9 watts. But this is WELL within the accuracy rating of the Bird so either meter could be correct. Through the rest of the scale from 50 to about 1300 watts I could not detect any difference when feeding a properly matched load.
The peak-reading feature of the meter is very useful. When I placed my transmitter (Yaesu FT-920) in to the "linear tune" position where it fires a 20% duty-cycle pulse the peak reading function went to the exact 50 watt level as measured with my Bird 43P. In sideband service the WM150 will read very close to the actual peak value... within about 10%, but this will vary depending on the duty cycle of your particular voice. For example, if you do not use processed audio and speak normally, a 100 watt transmitter might have the meter bouncing around the 90 watt level when in "PEAK" mode. It will hover around 15 or 20 watts in "AVERAGE" mode. If you use a lot of processing or have the level up, it will read right at 100 watts.
Bear in mind that this meter is only accurate when feeding a matched line or dummy load. When standing waves are present on the line all accuracy bets are off and the wattmeter will read differently. This cannot be avoided.
My only regret is that I did not get the WM150M.. this is the MOBILE wattmeter that allows you to mount the RF line-section remotely and place the meter at any convenient place in the shack. It has a 17' cable that attaches to the meter. This would not be an issue with people that use RG-58 or RG-8X.. these are very flexible cables. But I use LMR-600 and RG-8 and they don't like to bend very much! So I added a patch of 8X to reach the meter so it stayed put on the shelf.
This was money well spent. The meter is lighted, easy to read, and I know it's accurate, so one of my Birds was taken out of the HF line and placed in to service on the VHF antennas.
Dennis,

NA6DF Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2003 15:24 Send this review to a friend
love it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought one, and love it! Well built, wrinkle finish on cabinet very nice, cabinet metal itself much heavier duty than that other stuff from MFJ. Very nice meter movement, seems to be very accurate compared to my other meters. A bargain at $99.95. I hope to buy one of their "killer" balanced tuners soon as well... 73

K4HX Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2002 09:43 Send this review to a friend
An excellent peak-reading meter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased one of these meters along with Palstar's AT1500cv tuner, because the meter in the tuner reads average only, and I wanted peak-reading capabilities. The WM-150 matches the styling of the AT1500cv tuner, and looks nice sitting beside it. The finish is excellent, and the unit has a feel of quality.

The meter is of the dual cross-needle type, displaying both forward power and reflected power simultaneously (SWR is read from a scale printed behind where the two needles cross one another in action), and is nicely backlit. It has two power ranges, 0-300w, and 0-3000w (forward), and one can select between "peak" and "average" reading modes.

In the peak mode, the metering action is quite smooth and seems to be accurate, according to what I expect from my amp. I am very pleased with my WM-150, and have no reservations recommending it to anyone looking to buy an inexpensive peak-reading wattmeter.