Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Kenwood TS-940SAT Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-940SAT
Kenwood TS-940SAT Reviews: 122 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $2500 US/1982
Description: Evolutionary Classic

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-940SAT.

M0KKW Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2015 23:49 Send this review to a friend
Love it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had the rig a couple of weeks. Had intermittent sensitivity which was cured by cleaning the contacts of three of the attenuator relays. Gave the master oscillator a slight touch to put it smack on frequency and it's good to go. 1987 rig, everything works fine and they aren't at all difficult to work on.
This one's had the front end FET mod and the PSU pass transistors uprated but I think it's pretty standard otherwise.
I operate it alongside my FT1000D and I've found myself using it a lot...maybe that's because of the novelty of a different rig but in side by side comparisons, the two receivers aren't far apart. Close in against big signals, it's very strong and the tools are all there to help if it gets rough. Auto notch would be nice but this is 1987 so a Datong ANF is handy. If anything, the Kenwood has more pleasant received audio than the Yaesu's which is quite sharp and aggressive.
The transmitted audio on the stock fist mic isn't quite as good to my ear as the FT1000D on a Heil HC5 but pretty good all the same and I get great reports.
I'd wanted one of these for a long time just because they're known to throw up a few issues with joints and connectors which adds a bit of technical interest but presently, mine's behaving well...time will tell if this continues.
The autotuner does a great job on small mismatches which is all I'd want it to do.
Is it my all time favourite? No, that's still the TS850 because they're so easy to use for so many jobs, has a great receiver and the best transmitted audio in my opinion. Having said that, it's growing on me all the time and it's leagues ahead of these new sets in the quality of construction and ease of maintenance.
Sherwood Engineering's table gives a good idea of relative performance biassed towards CW operating and 2kHz spacing BUT...if you know how to use the AGC switch, attenuator, RF gain, notch and bandwidth, these figures don't mean an awful lot and I still hear new "top of the range" sets giving up a QSO when my old crystal filtered superhets are doing just fine.
KK4CIR Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2015 11:11 Send this review to a friend
Keeps on going  Time owned: more than 12 months
A very respectable rig in every meaning of the word. It is an old radio with over 30 years of service since inception. Very easy to operate and a true joy to listen with that well known warm kenwood audio. If you like a radio with all these ammenities and a BIG and heavy base station with knobs that you can actually play with this is a solid candidate for you to consider. The price in the market still going for $650-$1,200 depending the condition. IMO a very solid performing rig!
W3AMF Rating: 4/5 Dec 16, 2014 10:56 Send this review to a friend
Old Rig--Some Problems--Good Performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My TS-940SAT had been stored in a garage for 10-12 years before it was given to me in September 2014. The top was badly scratched, the CW pitch control shaft and knob were broken, the phones jack and ground terminal were not attached to their respective panels, the meter did not light, and the sub-display did not light. Fortunately the cabinet face and sides look good. Remove the cabinet and the inside looks excellent. It is a HEAVY radio by today's standards.

I did not want to shock the old rig, so I let it warm up for 5 hours at about 85 VAC. Then, I mounted the phones jack and ground terminal, fixed the CW pitch control, and illuminated the meter. I intend to deal with the sub-display light and refinish the cabinet.......some time.

The receiver is sensitive, has a working noise blanker, and rejects spurious signals and images. The audio filter (notch/peak), CW pitch control, RIT, and VBT usually provide single-signal reception in a crowded CW band. The RIT, Slope controls, and built-in SSB filters effectively eliminate most adjacent channel interference on SSB.

One real problem is that neither VFO "locks" while tuning: While tuning up or down a band, the VFO may drop back a few KHz and require continued tuning to recover lost ground and continue in the desired direction. This is annoying, but is not a serious problem. Once a frequency is chosen both VFOs are very stable. Fixing the VFO "tracking problem" may be beyond my technical capabilities. I would welcome advice from anybody who has experienced this problem.

The transmitter provides over 100 watts CW output on every band (i.e. usually about 120 watts). I have had more than 100 QSOs on SSB and CW, and reports have been excellent. I have not yet tried AM.

I gave it a rating of 4 because of the problems that my rig has. If I had a TS-940S that were working per specification, I would rate it 5.

My first test call on 10 m (from SE Pennsylvania) provided a 589 report from New Caledonia. Is there anything else that needs to be said?
KJ4GDX Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2014 16:00 Send this review to a friend
Same Problem - Keeps working great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a similar problem with my 940, it just keeps running perfectly without a problem. I was so concerned that last year (2013) I sent it in for a 20+ year full service and tune up. They said it was all perfect and sent it back to me! A total waist of around $190 dollars. It is big, and heavy, and complicated inside, but it's a pleasure to use. I get great audio reports and while it's not like the new SDR rigs and does not have DSP it still hears well. I'm slowly working the world with it. If my antennas were only as good! Get one and keep it.
KB0MJN Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2014 18:50 Send this review to a friend
Help!! Something definately wrong  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There is something definately wrong with my Kenwood TS-940SAT It is a very early serial number, and I mean early. Everything works like new just like it is supposed to. Never had any problems or needed to work on it. Now, after reading all the reviews and problems with this radio, I came to the conclusion that any 940 that doesn't have those problems must have something wrong with it. There was never 1 radio that would never have these problems, so I concluded after all the professional reviews. So PLEASE!!! can someone help me on how to fix my radio?
YB0NHR Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2014 17:22 Send this review to a friend
good radio.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Mine same as you ts 940s for domestic market. Only 110 volt no ac regulator. The easiest way is buying step down transformer. But this radio is design meticulously. By simple modificstion you can set inside the power transformer to 220v.Already prepared by kenwood.It is great radio both received and transmitting.
W7KNX Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2013 21:20 Send this review to a friend
Fabulous Transceiver Even Today  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I was a young man in the late 80's I coveted the Kenwood TS-940. Unforunately I couldn't afford one. $5000 was a lot of money in those days. In my opinion in it's day it had no rival. I picked one up at a swap meet a few years ago and it still receives unsolicited compliments on the TX audio. The RX audio is fabulous. There is no question that throughout this era Kenwood knew what they were doing when it came to TX and RX audio. The problem now is that it is an aging radio and very complex internally. In my opinion these stately HF Transceivers are worthy of any effort to maintain. I will use mine for chewing the rag as long as I can operate.
WW4Q Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2013 04:22 Send this review to a friend
Love it.... II  Time owned: more than 12 months
In addition to below....

The RF Stage modulation is

Asymmetrical 95% Neg / 200% Pos

Well, I just got my TS-940SAT back from tech and employed KE1IZ AM Mod, and N8RWS SSB and Reciever Mod, and the mods work great.

Opened up TX audio bandpass to 50hz - 7500hz.
4000hz 455 and 8.830 IF filters for SSB.
15000hz 455 IF filter for AM.
RF Stage modulation for AM.
Opened RX audio bandpass to 50 - 10000hz for AM
Opened RX audio bandpass to 50 - 4000hz for SSB

Using a Heil PR40 mic and Behringer rack, SSB and AM working very well.

I could get a TS-950SDX but I always liked TS-940SAT since I first saw the radio back in 1989.
G3UEQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2013 06:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Acquired a non-worker for nothing, found dry joint on AVR board, changed the pass transistors for 2N5886s and did the Fan mod. Replaced button cells and re-calibrated. Wow, what a great radio, great audio quality and good on adjacent channel and strong signal performance, getting around 0.12uV for 10db s/n ratio and achieves 110 watts o/p no problem. Mine is a late serial number one and had a lot of the later Kenwood mods incorporated.
This ones a keeper!
KJ4KBC Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2013 08:08 Send this review to a friend
Still in demand!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Kenwood made a lot of TS-940's. Although they had a few issue's on the earliest run's, all were fixable and as the serial numbers grew the issue's went away. By no means would I purchase one based on the serial number though. But would purchase it on how well it worked now. If it's an early serial number and all feature's are working as intended I would have to believe that all fixes were done years ago. My current 940(I've had a few) is a 50 thousand range number which is one of the earliest. It works as well as 8-9 mill numbers I've had, maybe better. 130 watts out, really don't need to use the processor and puts out a clean signal. Although it's a pre-DSP rig it still has a great receiver. If your looking for a great classic and are willing to spend 6-$800.00 you won't go wrong purchasing a working TS-940. Well worth the investment. 73's