Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-940SAT Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-940SAT
Kenwood TS-940SAT Reviews: 119 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $2000US/1984
Description: Evolutionary Classic
More info: http://my.net-link.net/~n8rws/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-940SAT.

KJ4GDX Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2014 16:00 Send this review to a friend
Same Problem - Keeps working great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a similar problem with my 940, it just keeps running perfectly without a problem. I was so concerned that last year (2013) I sent it in for a 20+ year full service and tune up. They said it was all perfect and sent it back to me! A total waist of around $190 dollars. It is big, and heavy, and complicated inside, but it's a pleasure to use. I get great audio reports and while it's not like the new SDR rigs and does not have DSP it still hears well. I'm slowly working the world with it. If my antennas were only as good! Get one and keep it.

KB0MJN Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2014 18:50 Send this review to a friend
Help!! Something definately wrong  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There is something definately wrong with my Kenwood TS-940SAT It is a very early serial number, and I mean early. Everything works like new just like it is supposed to. Never had any problems or needed to work on it. Now, after reading all the reviews and problems with this radio, I came to the conclusion that any 940 that doesn't have those problems must have something wrong with it. There was never 1 radio that would never have these problems, so I concluded after all the professional reviews. So PLEASE!!! can someone help me on how to fix my radio?

YB0NHR Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2014 17:22 Send this review to a friend
good radio.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Mine same as you ts 940s for domestic market. Only 110 volt no ac regulator. The easiest way is buying step down transformer. But this radio is design meticulously. By simple modificstion you can set inside the power transformer to 220v.Already prepared by kenwood.It is great radio both received and transmitting.

W7KNX Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2013 21:20 Send this review to a friend
Fabulous Transceiver Even Today  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I was a young man in the late 80's I coveted the Kenwood TS-940. Unforunately I couldn't afford one. $5000 was a lot of money in those days. In my opinion in it's day it had no rival. I picked one up at a swap meet a few years ago and it still receives unsolicited compliments on the TX audio. The RX audio is fabulous. There is no question that throughout this era Kenwood knew what they were doing when it came to TX and RX audio. The problem now is that it is an aging radio and very complex internally. In my opinion these stately HF Transceivers are worthy of any effort to maintain. I will use mine for chewing the rag as long as I can operate.

WW4Q Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2013 04:22 Send this review to a friend
Love it.... II  Time owned: more than 12 months
In addition to below....

The RF Stage modulation is

Asymmetrical 95% Neg / 200% Pos

*******************

Well, I just got my TS-940SAT back from tech and employed KE1IZ AM Mod, and N8RWS SSB and Reciever Mod, and the mods work great.

Opened up TX audio bandpass to 50hz - 7500hz.
4000hz 455 and 8.830 IF filters for SSB.
15000hz 455 IF filter for AM.
RF Stage modulation for AM.
Opened RX audio bandpass to 50 - 10000hz for AM
Opened RX audio bandpass to 50 - 4000hz for SSB

Using a Heil PR40 mic and Behringer rack, SSB and AM working very well.

I could get a TS-950SDX but I always liked TS-940SAT since I first saw the radio back in 1989.

G3UEQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2013 06:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Acquired a non-worker for nothing, found dry joint on AVR board, changed the pass transistors for 2N5886s and did the Fan mod. Replaced button cells and re-calibrated. Wow, what a great radio, great audio quality and good on adjacent channel and strong signal performance, getting around 0.12uV for 10db s/n ratio and achieves 110 watts o/p no problem. Mine is a late serial number one and had a lot of the later Kenwood mods incorporated.
This ones a keeper!

KJ4KBC Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2013 08:08 Send this review to a friend
Still in demand!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Kenwood made a lot of TS-940's. Although they had a few issue's on the earliest run's, all were fixable and as the serial numbers grew the issue's went away. By no means would I purchase one based on the serial number though. But would purchase it on how well it worked now. If it's an early serial number and all feature's are working as intended I would have to believe that all fixes were done years ago. My current 940(I've had a few) is a 50 thousand range number which is one of the earliest. It works as well as 8-9 mill numbers I've had, maybe better. 130 watts out, really don't need to use the processor and puts out a clean signal. Although it's a pre-DSP rig it still has a great receiver. If your looking for a great classic and are willing to spend 6-$800.00 you won't go wrong purchasing a working TS-940. Well worth the investment. 73's

MI3LVZ Rating: 4/5 Feb 20, 2013 10:55 Send this review to a friend
Trio TS940SAT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
A superb looking base radio for starters. Typical Trio/Kenwood audio reports (superb). Slope feature is very handy for shifting the QRM. The auto ATU is a bit limited and slow (but then again so am i ha ha).Can be renound for bad solder joints in later life which is about now!
Weighs a complete tonne!!!!!!
I love mine....

K2GAV Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2013 11:05 Send this review to a friend
A classic that holds its own today!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very similar to W3PYF down below, I inherited my TS-940sAT, and my call sign, from my Dad.
After he passed, the 940 sat on a shelf in my home for 20 years. I'd turn it on and hook it up to a long wire for an antenna from time to time, but that's about it.
In November 2011 I got back into the hobby big time. I've logged over 3,000 new contacts on the old 940 in the past year. Yes, I had intermittent problems to solve in the first 8 months of operation, almost all due to oxidized connectors on the many cable harness to PC board connections. However, a meticulous cleaning has now made it completely reliable again. I just love this old transceiver!
I've added a PieXX serial interface and control the 940 flawlessly with Ham Radio Deluxe. I've also replaced the CR2032 memory batteries, and fixed a burned out meter lamp. I've replaced some of the caps on the AVR board too, but they weren't yet bad.
I get numerous, unsolicited compliments on the audio quality. I did buy a new MC-60A microphone, and I'm told I have an "on-air" broadcaster's voice too. I'm sure all this adds up to the great audio quality comments.
So, Dad, if you're listening on 40m up there, I hope you're smiling!

KD0RUR Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2013 18:09 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for me  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have to admit that when I got this rig it was with the intention of selling it to fund more purchases for my 80's vintage Kenwood collection but then I actually used itů Wow!

It gets used every day for several hours on SSB and CW and I've never had even 1 issue. Even just running a small inverted V dipole I get great signal reports from the nets I check into as well as my rag chewing buddies.

I was really lucky to have found one loaded with options and maybe my experience with it would be different if it were a stripped down rig, I don't know. But I do know I love using this rig with it's lack of menus and solid performance.

If you find a nice one I'd say get it!