Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Kenwood TS-940SAT Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-940SAT
Kenwood TS-940SAT Reviews: 124 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $2500 US/1982
Description: Evolutionary Classic
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/ts940s.html

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-940SAT.

G3UEQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2013 06:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Acquired a non-worker for nothing, found dry joint on AVR board, changed the pass transistors for 2N5886s and did the Fan mod. Replaced button cells and re-calibrated. Wow, what a great radio, great audio quality and good on adjacent channel and strong signal performance, getting around 0.12uV for 10db s/n ratio and achieves 110 watts o/p no problem. Mine is a late serial number one and had a lot of the later Kenwood mods incorporated.
This ones a keeper!

KJ4KBC Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2013 08:08 Send this review to a friend
Still in demand!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Kenwood made a lot of TS-940's. Although they had a few issue's on the earliest run's, all were fixable and as the serial numbers grew the issue's went away. By no means would I purchase one based on the serial number though. But would purchase it on how well it worked now. If it's an early serial number and all feature's are working as intended I would have to believe that all fixes were done years ago. My current 940(I've had a few) is a 50 thousand range number which is one of the earliest. It works as well as 8-9 mill numbers I've had, maybe better. 130 watts out, really don't need to use the processor and puts out a clean signal. Although it's a pre-DSP rig it still has a great receiver. If your looking for a great classic and are willing to spend 6-$800.00 you won't go wrong purchasing a working TS-940. Well worth the investment. 73's

MI3LVZ Rating: 4/5 Feb 20, 2013 10:55 Send this review to a friend
Trio TS940SAT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
A superb looking base radio for starters. Typical Trio/Kenwood audio reports (superb). Slope feature is very handy for shifting the QRM. The auto ATU is a bit limited and slow (but then again so am i ha ha).Can be renound for bad solder joints in later life which is about now!
Weighs a complete tonne!!!!!!
I love mine....

K2GAV Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2013 11:05 Send this review to a friend
A classic that holds its own today!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very similar to W3PYF down below, I inherited my TS-940sAT, and my call sign, from my Dad.
After he passed, the 940 sat on a shelf in my home for 20 years. I'd turn it on and hook it up to a long wire for an antenna from time to time, but that's about it.
In November 2011 I got back into the hobby big time. I've logged over 3,000 new contacts on the old 940 in the past year. Yes, I had intermittent problems to solve in the first 8 months of operation, almost all due to oxidized connectors on the many cable harness to PC board connections. However, a meticulous cleaning has now made it completely reliable again. I just love this old transceiver!
I've added a PieXX serial interface and control the 940 flawlessly with Ham Radio Deluxe. I've also replaced the CR2032 memory batteries, and fixed a burned out meter lamp. I've replaced some of the caps on the AVR board too, but they weren't yet bad.
I get numerous, unsolicited compliments on the audio quality. I did buy a new MC-60A microphone, and I'm told I have an "on-air" broadcaster's voice too. I'm sure all this adds up to the great audio quality comments.
So, Dad, if you're listening on 40m up there, I hope you're smiling!

KD0RUR Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2013 18:09 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for me  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have to admit that when I got this rig it was with the intention of selling it to fund more purchases for my 80's vintage Kenwood collection but then I actually used itů Wow!

It gets used every day for several hours on SSB and CW and I've never had even 1 issue. Even just running a small inverted V dipole I get great signal reports from the nets I check into as well as my rag chewing buddies.

I was really lucky to have found one loaded with options and maybe my experience with it would be different if it were a stripped down rig, I don't know. But I do know I love using this rig with it's lack of menus and solid performance.

If you find a nice one I'd say get it!

W3PYF Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2012 20:15 Send this review to a friend
Better than I could have guessed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I inherited my 940 from the "original" W3PYF, my dad Clarence, in 2005. Even before I got it on the air, I filed for and received dad's call - so it has never been used except as "W3PYF." Dad was largely on 3999 until he went into an independent living facility about 2 years before he died. So it sat for 3 years before I inherited it and got in on the air into a Cushcraft R5 vertical.

A few weeks after I fired it up, the digital display began flashing, and the VFO clearly wasn't locking. A call to Hal Guretzky at Land Air Mobile in Brooklyn quickly diagnosed the problem. Hal noted there were several issues in the 940S he knew well - so I drove it from CT to Brooklyn. Hal fixed them all, and 6 years later, it has been solid.

I now live in a small suburban lot, where - living alone - I ran it into a Butternut vertical with several above-ground tuned radials. I quickly discovered that a vertical and barefoot 940S is no way to work much SSB - which is just fine for me, since I work only CW, and have little time fot ham radio, as I am self employed.

A few weeks ago, I finally put up a K1JEK Cobra Ultralight, about 15 feet up at the apex, and with feedline wrapped around the yard. WOW - suddenly, SSB came alive! Great reports on 75, 40 SSB. Now, I could really appreciate what a great rig it is.

The bandpass adjustments on both CW and SSB are really a pleasure. It enables you to slice through almost any QRM to pick out a weak DX signal. I bought the CW filter here on eHam classified, and it made a real difference in killing adjacent-frequency QRM. I had discovered a Radio Shack DSP unit in my late dad's shack, and one day about a year ago, put in on the 940S for CW. WOW again - really made signals pop out of the background.

I'm sure I don't use a fraction of the capability of this oldie. It's a real joy. It's a heavy box, but with a great deal of flexibility. Not the most current design, for sure - but for basic CW and occasional SSB, you could not want a better rug

N6AB Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2012 11:35 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm the original owner of a TS940SAT, which I've had since 1985. I echo the sentiments of others who really like this radio. My previous radio was a Heathkit SB102, so naturally there is a night and day difference in performance. I don't miss the days of 6146's and the lack of a noise blanker for reducing power line noise. The TS940 has just about everything I need and more (with the sole exception of a really fast autotuner). The receiver sensitivity and audio quality are amazing, as well as the transmitter performance and capability. I have very few complaints.

I have performed all TS940 maintenance myself, including 3 unexpected repairs. One was the result of an improper connector assembly on a PCB, one was due to a bad connector solder joint, and one was due to an internal coax cable bending too tightly, resulting in an intermittent short. Since I've owned this radio for 27 years, that's an average of one problem every 9 years. That's not bad! I wish I could say the same for other radios that I've owned.

Since my SN is relatively low, I have performed most of the Kenwood service bulletins. I especially liked the 'talk power improvement' which produced a very noticeable change in SSB peak power. I also updated Q101 and Q102 on the AVR to avoid future issues with the +28V supply, and lowered the fan turn-on temperature as suggested by others.

Overall, I am very satisfied with this radio. I have no regrets about purchasing it in 1985. I feel no compelling need to upgrade to the latest DSP enhanced technology. I also own a Timewave DSP599ZX digital noise filter for the audio, which I rarely use. There might be some other reasons to upgrade, but for now, the TS940S does what I need very well.

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2012 11:49 Send this review to a friend
Follow up to earlier review  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Since picking up the radio back in late spring, had a couple of battery issues but after new batteries the radio is working great. I have installed the Piexx board and the computer control is a big plus. Makes logging the QSO's so much easier. I installed two PC fans on the back, one for the final amp, one for the power supply and the radio runs quite cool. Using a Behringer XM8500 Ultravoice mic ($24.99) and get great audio reports. I do miss a dual VFO display but it's a minor inconvenience. All in all a great radio.

K4ZMI Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2012 16:24 Send this review to a friend
Great old radio, but...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The radio has the 500hz cw filter installed. Can be used on ssb, but when switching to cw, there's s meter action but no audio.

NW0LF Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2012 16:00 Send this review to a friend
Great older radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have mine for about 10 years. It's down on power (55-60 watts), but with my Cushcraft R5, I still get into Eastern Europe from Florida. After the MC-60 mic quit working, I bought the $30 headset boom mic from Warren Gregoire, a Rat Shack foot pedal and I get unsolicited good audio reports. I may get the power problem fixed if/when I have some extra pennies, but it works FB just the way it is.

73 and good DX, Wolfie, K9WLF