Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Kenwood TS-940SAT Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-940SAT
Kenwood TS-940SAT Reviews: 121 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $2500 US/1982
Description: Evolutionary Classic
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-940SAT.

N2EIK Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2010 03:54 Send this review to a friend
GREAT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
What more can be said about this superb vintage radio. I have owned mostly Kenwood radios and I inherited this radio from a departed Cb'er relative. I was told it suffered from "severe misalginment" but what I found was the "dreaded dots of death". I removed ALL of the waxy potting compound and resoldered the board from end to end and this 940 really is asweome. I use it more than my TS-B200. The 940 has a great feel and a great sound. There are a few drawbacks like :some needed controls on the bottom of a 50 pound radio and the s-meter tends to be a bit generous. Filters? I bought a used Datong and all my filtering issues are resolved and cheaper than installing narrow CW filters.
but all-in-all this is a keeper! I will use it as long as I can keep it alive. If anyone is looking for a really nice, on-the-cheap rig, this is the one!
As

W6JMF Rating: 2/5 Jun 1, 2010 19:08 Send this review to a friend
once great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
How do I rate this rig? When working, it's an awesome desk rig with great audio and very useful qrm suppression. You can pick them up for around $700US. They have an IF output that allows them to drive pan adapters. A separate listening antenna port. I could go on.

Now for the bad news. This rig dates from the mid '80s to early 90's (basically an early '80's design). During that time, Kenwood used a potting compound in their VCO's that eventually contaminated the board and components, causing the dreaded "dots" or VCO unlock. The TS-440 also suffered from this. In addition, the main VCO board is "padded" with a black foam pad that from heat and age will also cause one the VCO's to unlock as it surrounds an etch side mounted cap. Additionally, it seems that many also suffered from cold/crystallized solder joints. There are other issues (maybe a dozen factory FCO's), but these will universally affect all of these radios sooner of later. You get very little warning, other than a few minutes of intermittent or "warbly" audio. Some people have successfully melted the goo out and been able to re-pot with hot glue, others not so. No new spare boards available. If you can't do the repairs yourself, shipping to an independent tech is very expensive due to the weight (near 50lbs) and kenwood won't touch them anymore.

If you've got a well equipped work bench and parts source, go for it. If not, parts are getting scarce, and qualified techs are few and far between.

W4DSN Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2010 04:43 Send this review to a friend
Can't do better  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this TS-940SAT about a year ago. It was in perfect condition. I have owned a lot of rigs for the last 48 years, but this is the best I have ever had or seen. You can have your menus and sophistry, I will take the knobs. I can tune and adjust this baby before you can grab your user manual. (I don't need one.)

The passband band tuning is fantastic. You can independently tune upper and lower bandwidth. This, with the sharp notch filter, allow you to pull even the weakest signal out of pile-ups. The audio, receive and transmit are perfect. I usually get whatever I am trying to get, even competing with the KWs and the beam antennas. The famous Kenwood audio has punch that gets the job done.

You can't do better than this. Looks great, too!

WW4Q Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2010 10:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I love this radio.
I installed AM mod, and moved ALC loop to 225 watts.
On AM, it deadkeys about 20 watts and modulates forward to about 200 watts...pure loud Kenwood audio.
On SSB, I'm always getting compliments on audio quality.

Special thanks to Don, KE1IZ

N4EDX Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2009 19:41 Send this review to a friend
My Baby!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this rig in the early 90's from an owner who was not licensed????, it scared him with all the knobs! I have never had a problem with this radio, its worked over 110 countries and placed in top 10 last year in the 10-10 voice contest!
Love it, wish we could buy a new one :)
Ed

G0AYD Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2009 01:32 Send this review to a friend
fantastic radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased my 940sat earlier this year,i already own a 930sat and sold all my other ham gear as the 930 beat the pants off everything i owned,that is until i put the 940 in the shack,wow what a fantastic radio to use,i only use cw but was tempted up to the ssb part of 80 by a local friend in salisbury who said its the best audio hes heard on hf for ages.
I agree with all cooments on this radio if you can find a good one get it you wont regret it..regards Dave..

WB8ICU Rating: 4/5 Nov 28, 2009 13:44 Send this review to a friend
works good after fixes  Time owned: more than 12 months
My rig is sn in 5mil range--found mods on internet--fixed factory mistakes easily. found broken wires on several plugs. removed pins with dental pick, resoldered leads , put back in. removed socket on A board, cleaned with eraser, sprayed leads and socket with tuner cleaner. Removing socket and soldering in proved too dificult on doublesided trhu board. Power switch seemed to be bad until I discovered it works if held in for a second. Since I bought it used, can't complain about broken leads. Someone probably pulled on them because of intermittent s
Clock still doesn't work. Big deal, I have 2 clocks and a computer in the room, one on the rig would be overkill. After all mods, etc, it works great and am very pleased with it.

WD0X Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2009 15:39 Send this review to a friend
Giehl Chip Installed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
No question that the 940S is a superb rig. No matter what radio I use, I ALWAYS come back to the TS-940S/AT.

This time I had Jack Giehl (wb8bfs) install his upgrade chip into the Digital A board of my 940S. I decided to send the Digital A board to him so he could remove IC2 and install his chip for me. Turnaround time was less than a week. It was worth every penny to have Jack do the work on this delicate double-sided board! The new chip is EVERYTHING he said it would be and makes my 940S even more fun to operate.

If you're a 940S owner you really need to get this upgrade chip for your rig. If your soldering skills (and eyesight) are excellent, you can do the chip replacement yourself. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones to have an IC socket already installed where IC2 goes.

Just to be clear, I have no connection to Jack Giehl whatsoever. I'm just a very satisfied customer! 73, Bill

PD9OH Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2009 05:15 Send this review to a friend
superb radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have my 940 for about 2 years and still working great. Yes it's an older radio but much better than a lot of new one's.

it has great audio and even a S zero signal is very good to copy. can't say that of a lot of modern radio's unless you buy a lot of filters.

digimode ? no problem at all simply a audio cable en do your thing.

Cat ? no problem at all, i got a IF10-b installed and cat is a piece of cake.

as others already said no menu's so easy to operate.

If you can grabe one, buy it and see for your self that it is one of the best kenwoods ever made

VA2UT Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2009 06:44 Send this review to a friend
Highly recommend at base station  Time owned: more than 12 months
What a good product from Kenwood.

Got mine from 2 years now without any trouble.

I use it from phone to digital without trouble

Easy to use cause all you need is on faceplate no special menu / no menu in a special menu / no sub-menu in a special menu of special menu from master menu (did i say i hate menu/sub-menu etc... )

You want buy a really good classic HF rig ??

Go ahead buy a Kenwood TS-940sat NO REGRETS