Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-940SAT Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-940SAT
Kenwood TS-940SAT Reviews: 118 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $2000US/1984
Description: Evolutionary Classic
More info: http://my.net-link.net/~n8rws/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-940SAT.

WW4Q Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2010 10:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I love this radio.
I installed AM mod, and moved ALC loop to 225 watts.
On AM, it deadkeys about 20 watts and modulates forward to about 200 watts...pure loud Kenwood audio.
On SSB, I'm always getting compliments on audio quality.

Special thanks to Don, KE1IZ

N4EDX Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2009 19:41 Send this review to a friend
My Baby!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this rig in the early 90's from an owner who was not licensed????, it scared him with all the knobs! I have never had a problem with this radio, its worked over 110 countries and placed in top 10 last year in the 10-10 voice contest!
Love it, wish we could buy a new one :)
Ed

G0AYD Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2009 01:32 Send this review to a friend
fantastic radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased my 940sat earlier this year,i already own a 930sat and sold all my other ham gear as the 930 beat the pants off everything i owned,that is until i put the 940 in the shack,wow what a fantastic radio to use,i only use cw but was tempted up to the ssb part of 80 by a local friend in salisbury who said its the best audio hes heard on hf for ages.
I agree with all cooments on this radio if you can find a good one get it you wont regret it..regards Dave..

WB8ICU Rating: 4/5 Nov 28, 2009 13:44 Send this review to a friend
works good after fixes  Time owned: more than 12 months
My rig is sn in 5mil range--found mods on internet--fixed factory mistakes easily. found broken wires on several plugs. removed pins with dental pick, resoldered leads , put back in. removed socket on A board, cleaned with eraser, sprayed leads and socket with tuner cleaner. Removing socket and soldering in proved too dificult on doublesided trhu board. Power switch seemed to be bad until I discovered it works if held in for a second. Since I bought it used, can't complain about broken leads. Someone probably pulled on them because of intermittent s
Clock still doesn't work. Big deal, I have 2 clocks and a computer in the room, one on the rig would be overkill. After all mods, etc, it works great and am very pleased with it.

WD0X Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2009 15:39 Send this review to a friend
Giehl Chip Installed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
No question that the 940S is a superb rig. No matter what radio I use, I ALWAYS come back to the TS-940S/AT.

This time I had Jack Giehl (wb8bfs) install his upgrade chip into the Digital A board of my 940S. I decided to send the Digital A board to him so he could remove IC2 and install his chip for me. Turnaround time was less than a week. It was worth every penny to have Jack do the work on this delicate double-sided board! The new chip is EVERYTHING he said it would be and makes my 940S even more fun to operate.

If you're a 940S owner you really need to get this upgrade chip for your rig. If your soldering skills (and eyesight) are excellent, you can do the chip replacement yourself. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones to have an IC socket already installed where IC2 goes.

Just to be clear, I have no connection to Jack Giehl whatsoever. I'm just a very satisfied customer! 73, Bill

PD9OH Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2009 05:15 Send this review to a friend
superb radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have my 940 for about 2 years and still working great. Yes it's an older radio but much better than a lot of new one's.

it has great audio and even a S zero signal is very good to copy. can't say that of a lot of modern radio's unless you buy a lot of filters.

digimode ? no problem at all simply a audio cable en do your thing.

Cat ? no problem at all, i got a IF10-b installed and cat is a piece of cake.

as others already said no menu's so easy to operate.

If you can grabe one, buy it and see for your self that it is one of the best kenwoods ever made

VA2UT Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2009 06:44 Send this review to a friend
Highly recommend at base station  Time owned: more than 12 months
What a good product from Kenwood.

Got mine from 2 years now without any trouble.

I use it from phone to digital without trouble

Easy to use cause all you need is on faceplate no special menu / no menu in a special menu / no sub-menu in a special menu of special menu from master menu (did i say i hate menu/sub-menu etc... )

You want buy a really good classic HF rig ??

Go ahead buy a Kenwood TS-940sat NO REGRETS

N7UQA Rating: 4/5 Sep 3, 2009 17:56 Send this review to a friend
Gerat rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I acquired one of these for FREE! (rescued from a CB'er) It had the usual issues with the PLL and an ongoing intermittent issue in the TX/RX path (attenuated TX/RX while warming up). I was shocked to discover that the mode offsets are phase locked. When the radio is working correctly the performance is superb. The nose blanker out performs any Icom rig I currently have owned (except the IC-751A), the "slope tuning" is on par or better than the dual PBT on the IC-775DSP I had. It has a "real" IF notch filter. If I could find another late serial number 940S/SAT I would not hesitate to buy one.

If you can find one of these in good working condition, buy it!

G4UNB Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2009 18:26 Send this review to a friend
excellent radio!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my second ts 940s, this one being the 'sat' version with the built in tuner, i bought this one in january of this year, and am so glad i did, i could never fully understand what possessed me to sell my original one, which i owned for many years, i also own a ts 950 sd, and whilst both radios are excellent i rather feel the 940 is a better receiver, and much prefer the 'real' S meter on the 940.
as everyone knows the radio also puts out fantastic audio quality, i use an mc60 desk mic which compliments fully this wonderful radio, let no one be in any doubt...the ts 940 sat is a truly superb transciever, both in the SSB and CW modes...AM and FM arn't bad either! i wouldnt swap mine for any of the new 'fangled' radios on offer today.if you can get one for about 450-550 in excellent condition as mine is, then go for it!

KD5UVV Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2009 22:19 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well I've had the Kenwood TS-940SAT for over 6 years now, this is a great rig! I've tried a few other rigs here including the infamous TS-850/DSP-100 combo and I must say this rig just does what it's suppose to do. This is a GREAT Rig. The pure Kenwood audio is outstanding! Don't get caught up in the hype! This is one of the best older rigs out there. You will not be disappointed. Add filters if you want for CW or SSB and you'll have one fine DX rig, I use a ClearSpeech DSP Speaker and a Heil Pro 20 mic with mine and it's Great! I would love to try this rig side by side with the newer Ten Tec's, Flex 3000 or Elecraft K3. The newer rigs should blow it out the water but for some reason, I don't think it would be that much difference, I may be wrong. Hey, that's just my opinion. I will have one of the newer rigs here some time this year. You know we just can't stop looking for a better rig! Any newbies out there could not do better than getting this rig, Save some money on the rig and spend it on a better antenna system. You can't go wrong with the Kenwood TS-940 Try it, you'll like it, you have my word on this one. 73 Dale