Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-940SAT Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-940SAT
Kenwood TS-940SAT Reviews: 126 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $2500 US/1982
Description: Evolutionary Classic
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/ts940s.html

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-940SAT.

WB5YDA Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2011 04:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Xcvr  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased my TS-940s at a hamfest about 3 weeks ago and am very pleased with the way this old beaut performs. Being a Kenwood user (TS-520S), which is still a great old radio, this one is head and shoulders above the 520. This is by far the best HF rig I've ever owned.

SV9DRU Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2011 10:15 Send this review to a friend
The best !  Time owned: more than 12 months
This has to be the best analog radio from the 80s. Very low noise floor, excellent audio both TX and RX, and very competent in dealing with nearby strong signals.
Even though it is quite complex in construction, it is not hard to troubleshoot and repair should it require TLC. If one is willing to do some preventive maintenance and install a few straight forward mods (depending on the serial #)he will end up with a fantastic rig both in functionality and looks.

In my book, on par with my Drake TR7 in raw RX/TX performance, but with many additional accessory features, and superior to even the FT1000D due to its cleaner audio. I am not even mentioning any of the new DSP "enhanced rigs" since I am a firm believer that most of the time they just do not compare to these old analog transceivers, no matter how much the manufacturers are trying to convince us for the opposite.

If you can get one in decent shape, grab it. You will not be sorry !

Marinos, sv9dru / ki4gin

KI6DCB Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2011 20:09 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my TS-940SAT since 2006, and it was great until last year. I started to notice AC hum on RX and, then, on TX, so, I knew that the elderly power supply electrolytics were on their way to capacitor heaven. I stopped transmitting, but I still used the receiver.

A close lightning strike last autumn sealed its fate; in addition to hum, the receiver was nearly completely deaf. Last week, I finally got the urge to fix her, and, sure enough, a re-cap of the power supply and some repairs to the front end of the receiver brought the old girl back to life. The input attenuator relays are still welded in the "0dB" position, but, as long as I stay away from Field Day, that won't be a problem.

It's amazing what a difference the repair of the power supply made; the famous Kenwood audio, which I thought was good before, is even better than when I got the rig as a twenty-year-old companion.

As has been said, you can keep your nested menus and DSP whiz-bang devices; give me knobs, and lots of 'em! I'll be hamming while you are reading your "War and Peace" owner's manual.

Kenwood knocked this one out of the park, but I'm saving my paper route money for a 950SDX. Nevertheless, the 940 is staying with me forever.

KB3KCJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2011 15:17 Send this review to a friend
Happy TS-940 owner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just recently purchased a TS-940SAT. From the day that I started using it I was given a multitude of great audio reports. The receiver section of the 940 is totally outstanding. The filtering is second to none. With the 940 and the MFJ tunable filter, I am able to get rid of 90% of the plasma TV noise from my sonís plasma TV. I waited too long to get one of these beauties and it will be a long time in use. Mine has a 9,000,000 plus serial number. I couldnít be happier and would highly recommend this transceiver to anyone.

KC9NCS Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2011 18:31 Send this review to a friend
Great, Timeless Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Kenwood 940SAT for over two years now, picked it up from an estate sale of a silent key, paid $700 for the rig and an MC-60 Mic. Added the SP-940 and SM-230 later, along with an external DSP.

I've had to do one repair since buying it two years ago, replacing a failed cap on the RF board which caused the receive to face until the radio warmed up when powered on. Other than that, zero issues with the radio.

Others say it has excellent QRN elimination capabilities on its own, I disagree. An external DSP is necessary to filter out unwanted noise/interference from adjacent frequency transmissions. During contest weekends, I can barely listen to the receive without the external DSP. Given the time period it was built, DSP wasn't available, but adding an external unit really completes this rig.

One thing I can say is that I regularly receive compliments on the legendary Kenwood audio this radio puts out. Almost without fail a new contact will compliment the rig's audio.

Mine's been a workhorse as my primary rig with hundreds of hours logged on it since I purchased it. Worth every penny IMO and doubt I'll ever part with it.

One thing I did do was find a "parts rig" for spare parts. My second 940SAT has bad DC-DC power supplies in it, but all other parts tested out fine. I suspect I'll have this radio a very long time, or until I run out of parts (which ever comes first.)

N2EIK Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2010 03:54 Send this review to a friend
GREAT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
What more can be said about this superb vintage radio. I have owned mostly Kenwood radios and I inherited this radio from a departed Cb'er relative. I was told it suffered from "severe misalginment" but what I found was the "dreaded dots of death". I removed ALL of the waxy potting compound and resoldered the board from end to end and this 940 really is asweome. I use it more than my TS-B200. The 940 has a great feel and a great sound. There are a few drawbacks like :some needed controls on the bottom of a 50 pound radio and the s-meter tends to be a bit generous. Filters? I bought a used Datong and all my filtering issues are resolved and cheaper than installing narrow CW filters.
but all-in-all this is a keeper! I will use it as long as I can keep it alive. If anyone is looking for a really nice, on-the-cheap rig, this is the one!
As

W6JMF Rating: 2/5 Jun 1, 2010 19:08 Send this review to a friend
once great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
How do I rate this rig? When working, it's an awesome desk rig with great audio and very useful qrm suppression. You can pick them up for around $700US. They have an IF output that allows them to drive pan adapters. A separate listening antenna port. I could go on.

Now for the bad news. This rig dates from the mid '80s to early 90's (basically an early '80's design). During that time, Kenwood used a potting compound in their VCO's that eventually contaminated the board and components, causing the dreaded "dots" or VCO unlock. The TS-440 also suffered from this. In addition, the main VCO board is "padded" with a black foam pad that from heat and age will also cause one the VCO's to unlock as it surrounds an etch side mounted cap. Additionally, it seems that many also suffered from cold/crystallized solder joints. There are other issues (maybe a dozen factory FCO's), but these will universally affect all of these radios sooner of later. You get very little warning, other than a few minutes of intermittent or "warbly" audio. Some people have successfully melted the goo out and been able to re-pot with hot glue, others not so. No new spare boards available. If you can't do the repairs yourself, shipping to an independent tech is very expensive due to the weight (near 50lbs) and kenwood won't touch them anymore.

If you've got a well equipped work bench and parts source, go for it. If not, parts are getting scarce, and qualified techs are few and far between.

W4DSN Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2010 04:43 Send this review to a friend
Can't do better  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this TS-940SAT about a year ago. It was in perfect condition. I have owned a lot of rigs for the last 48 years, but this is the best I have ever had or seen. You can have your menus and sophistry, I will take the knobs. I can tune and adjust this baby before you can grab your user manual. (I don't need one.)

The passband band tuning is fantastic. You can independently tune upper and lower bandwidth. This, with the sharp notch filter, allow you to pull even the weakest signal out of pile-ups. The audio, receive and transmit are perfect. I usually get whatever I am trying to get, even competing with the KWs and the beam antennas. The famous Kenwood audio has punch that gets the job done.

You can't do better than this. Looks great, too!

WW4Q Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2010 10:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I love this radio.
I installed AM mod, and moved ALC loop to 225 watts.
On AM, it deadkeys about 20 watts and modulates forward to about 200 watts...pure loud Kenwood audio.
On SSB, I'm always getting compliments on audio quality.

Special thanks to Don, KE1IZ

N4EDX Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2009 19:41 Send this review to a friend
My Baby!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this rig in the early 90's from an owner who was not licensed????, it scared him with all the knobs! I have never had a problem with this radio, its worked over 110 countries and placed in top 10 last year in the 10-10 voice contest!
Love it, wish we could buy a new one :)
Ed