Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | CT by K1EA Help

Reviews Summary for CT by K1EA
Reviews: 10 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $Free
Description: Contest Logging Software for PC
More info: http://www.k1ea.com

You can write your own review of the CT by K1EA.

PA3A Rating: 4/5 Apr 28, 2006 10:26 Send this review to a friend
Straight forward  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used CT as my first contest logging program. Absolutely wonderful! With old computers and simple available hardware is was easy to use it in a multitransmitter environment at PI4D. Now at home I still use the old DOS version on an ol' 486DX. Super!

NE0P Rating: 4/5 Apr 22, 2006 22:02 Send this review to a friend
Worth the price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently downloaded CT-which is now free, so you can't beat the price. And there is now a windows version. I have been trying it out this weekend on the FL QSO party, and seems to work very well-but then I have used NA for years so I am familiar with the key commands, as they are almost identical between the 2 programs.

I use a logging program for just that-logging. I don't control the radio, keyer, rotor, voice keyer and toaster with the logging software, but CT will do all of those things, except for the toaster.

My only complaint-I wish it covered more contests. I have been getting into doing state QSO parties in the past year or so, and it is very limited in which ones it covers. Does do all of the major US contests, though.

K0HB Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2005 21:36 Send this review to a friend
Still the benchmark  Time owned: more than 12 months
What can you say. The program simply does what it's supposed to do without any fuss or bother. Support remains top notch, and even after all these years nobody has done it better than K1EA.

G6CSY Rating: 4/5 Nov 24, 2003 04:38 Send this review to a friend
Makes contesting easier.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Being new to HF, I saw a posting about logging software, and decided to download several to try out. I ended up sticking with CT. First used in anger during LZ DX 2003 Contest. Found most of the inputs that were needed were quite straight forward. The help screen is useful and the K1EA website very helpful. I recommend it to all contesters!
Graeme
G6CSY

W0NXS Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2001 19:26 Send this review to a friend
Still Great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I haven't run any of the Windows based logging programs. I haven't quite figured out what the advantage would be. I personally could care less whether I have the ability to use a calculator, a word processor or an E-mail program, while I'm contesting. I would rather run a dedicated logging program I trust to be stable and fast, which won't likely crash three or more times during the contest. Who really needs a lot of unnecessary Windows related tasks going on and slowing things down, anyway?

I run CT on a 486SX25. CT v9 will run on a wide variety of PC compatibles from 80386 on up, which is an advantage for those of us who don't want to spend a kilo-buck or more on a second Pentium based processor for the shack (I'd rather spend my spare cash directly on radio gear). However, for those who do have the luxury of a more powerful processor in the shack, another reviewer's comment that CT won't run on a modern Windows 95/98/ME box is mostly incorrect. While you wouldn't want to run CT within Windows, CT will run on the version of DOS bundled with all Windows based operating systems (aka MS-DOS 7). I formerly ran CT on a Win95 machine, and had no problems. While it does require a little greater than average computer knowledge (OK...you might have to learn when to press the F8 key just prior to Windows startup and (re)learn a couple DOS commands), it certainly doesn't require rocket science intelligence to figure out how to run CT on any Windows based system.

I will concede that there may be room for growth with regard to the number of contests supported by CT. Being the part-time contester that I am, I have yet to run into this problem. There is also a free third party utility available on the K1EA web site to score contests not already supported.

I do know that K1EA's product support has been excellent. The occasional minor bugs are fixed quickly and updates are readily available on the K1EA web site. The only problems I have experienced were related to the new Cabrillo file format. These problems seem to have been ironed out.

And for those who can't live without Windows, there is a Beta version of CT for Windows available for download to registered CT users.

WK2T Rating: 3/5 Dec 30, 2000 20:22 Send this review to a friend
Time to move on  Time owned: more than 12 months
CT was a great program in its time. However, the technology has moved on. Without mentioning names, there are programs out there that beat CT hands down. Perhaps, the CT developers will see this and join the real world.

Happy New Year

N2IW

AD6A Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2000 14:22 Send this review to a friend
CT - The Standard To Beat...  Time owned: more than 12 months
CT runs fine in a command window under W98. You may have to set the working directory to the directory where CT is (change this in the properties...right click on the icon...easy).

Does everything you need for all the major contests - fast, reliable, easy to use.

Dave (AD6A)

W2KD Rating: 2/5 Mar 4, 2000 10:41 Send this review to a friend
So where's the windows version?  Time owned: unknown months
When (if ever) is there going to be a windows version of CT? This is the granddaddy of them all when it comes to contesting, but it's starting to loook and act it's age. I've got to haul out my old computer when I want to use it because it won't work with windows 98. Let's get with it guys!

N0AH Rating: 3/5 Sep 28, 1999 00:29 Send this review to a friend
Limited Use  Time owned: unknown months
Every major contestor seems to know CT.......it's like we're weaned on it- and I like CT......but where is the software support for USA contests?? No NA QSO party, No NCJ Sprint...the list goes on......When it works, it works- but man, talk about never seeming to support the contest for that weekend- hope they can at least come up with software revisions for some of the obvious major stateside contests mentioned above-- or am I just missing out on revisions??? 73 Paul Veal N0AH

N2MG Rating: 4/5 Sep 10, 1999 15:12 Send this review to a friend
The classic.  Time owned: unknown months
The original logging program! Many have cut their teeth on contest logging using CT. Supports multi-op environs and lots of contests. It shows it age somewhat as it prefers a pure DOS environment but as such can utilize a "poor man's" network. Good online support for upgrades and help.