Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Radio Works Carolina Windom 160 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Works Carolina Windom 160
Radio Works Carolina Windom 160 Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $135
Description: Asymmetrical horizontal wire antenna for 1.8 through 30 MHz.
More info: http://www.radioworks.com/ccw160.html

You can write your own review of the Radio Works Carolina Windom 160.

W4USA Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2008 23:00 Send this review to a friend
A++  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The antenna works well on 160 meters, but about
equil to my full wave loop and a little better than my top loaded vertical (with a higher noise level) BUT, on 75 meters it is A++. I have a full wave vertical loop at 50 feet, an inverted V and a vertical on 75/80. This thing blows them out of the water. I work stations that I can"t hear on the others and I could only get it up 35 feet. I worked 8 countries tonight with 10 over on each contact. I have over 40 antennas here but this is one of the best. I suggest a static / lightning protection to bleed off the static form the very conductive antenna and keep it far away from the tower. It is very sensitive. I found it fairly narrow without a tuner. I use it without a tuner 3.6 to 3.85 and 1.85 to 1.98 and anywhere with a tuner (I am not a tuner man) It is clearly the best 75 meter antenna I have owned. Not the cheapest but worth the money. Save your time, they build it right. You micht support the down cable with Dacron rope.

W1EBM Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2007 12:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The antenna is running North-and-South, and the vertical radiator is at 30 feet (5-ft lower than spec'd). [Replaced a home-brew G5RV].

On 40 CW, easily work into Europe, with 579/589 reports.

Have been operating mostly on 30M and 20M CW & consistently receive 579-->599 reports from all continents

Busted thru a pile-up on 30M (on first call), to land IS-zero, in Sardinia. Enjoying nice ragchew QSO's with JA and UA(1-->0). Couldn't do that on the G5RV.

Receive "rock-crusher" signal reports 599+ on 30M from stations in the Caribbean (8P9,6Y5,VP5,C6) and South America.

This antenna is performing much better than the old home-brew G5RV, and has opened up a whole new world of DX to chase and land.

Putting the antenna up to 50-feet this weekend.

This is a great antenna !

W1EBM Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2007 13:29 Send this review to a friend
Great ears - coiled up on the floor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Unpacked the antenna, and put the 2 long spools of antenna wire, and the vertical radiator spool, on the shack floor in the basement, and then connected 150 feet of RG8X.

Connected the coax to the antenna tuner and the ICOM PRO 3.

Peaked the tuner for max. received signals on the bands....and heard lots of DX on 40, 30, and 20 meter CW.

W o w ! Can't wait to get this antenna strung out full length and up 60 feet this weekend. Will send in an update in a couple weeks.

KJ4DX Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2007 12:00 Send this review to a friend
Worth the work to get it up.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Wire antennas are a wonderful thing...once they're up. Up until that, you'll like to die trying to get the thing up there while biting your lip to keep from cursing because your 5-year old son is watching. That being said, once I got this antenna where I wanted it -- 70 feet up into a Southern pine tree shooting North-South, it just...worked. Not a single problem; it retrieves DX like nobody's business. It also works very well on the stateside nets on 80 and 160. I have another to put up facing East-West, but I have to wait until my lip heals up....

WD5EAE Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2007 08:44 Send this review to a friend
A Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is a superb performer. I've worked more DX on this antenna than with my vertical including through a number of pileups (on both CW and SSB). I've used it on every band from 160m through 10m. I must add though that I have noise problems on 160m using this antenna whereas my vertical for 160m is much quieter. Having said that, I am thinking about putting a second one of these up oriented the other direction.

W2IHY Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2005 07:35 Send this review to a friend
very happy I put it up  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had the Carolina Windom 160 up for about 6 months. It is facing slightly north of west. My other wire antenna is a 80 meter full wave loop with a reflector .12 wave lengths below the driven element. I have the Windom up about 70 feet in the center and 50 feet on the ends. Prior to purchasing the 160 meter Carolina Windom some stations that I talked to on 80 meters, that worked 160 meters, did not expect the 160 meter Carolina Windom to work as well as a dipole and were surprised on how strong I was on 160 meters when I got the Windom up and running. How well relatively it works I have no idea since I only have the one antenna on 160. On 80 meters many experiments were done comparing the Windom with my 80 meter, horizontal. full wave loop. (The 80 meter loop is fed with 50 ohm coax ). When using the 80 meter loop without a linear amplifier most stations think I am running an amplifier because of the strength of my signal. Stateside the Windom is up to 10 dB weaker than the loop to equal to the loop. Most of the time it is weaker than the loop. As I would expect signals from the loop are always stronger than the Windom out 1000 miles or less from my location. At distances greater than 1000 miles stateside signals from the Windom are usually weaker than the loop and occasionally equal to the loop. I expected the Windom to be stronger than the loop out further than 1000 miles but the difference is usually about 1 S unit. In working into Europe the Windom has been consistently 10 dB stronger than the full wave loop. I have not done any experiments on other bands comparing the Windom with my Mosely PRO67C. I give the 160 meter Carolina Windom a 5 out of 5 because itís performance generally exceeded my expectations and it does work well. I run up to legal limit on SSB with no problems.

KG4NCK Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2005 07:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I special ordered the Carolina Windom 160 with the heaviest wire available, and recieved the antenna only a week after ordering. Putting the antenna up at about 65' has worked well for me. The antenna has been through several severe storms and is still going strong. It has excellent receive characteristics, and does great on transmit too. It does seem to do better for DX than it does local work. It tunes easy across all the ham bands from 160-10 meters. It also tunes well on 6 meters using my rigs internal tuner, and gives suprising perfomance, though it is not rated for this band, according to the literature.
Of all the antennas I have used, this one is the second best performing. It has only been outdone by a 1,500 ft. longwire antenna, but there is no room for that kind of run at the current QTH.

N4RAP Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2005 22:18 Send this review to a friend
Best Wire Antenna Out There  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have several Radio Works products. Wire antennas are all that I have ever had for most of my hf ham life. I think that this is a wonderful antenna. I can hear stations that others can not hear. When I am on the band with several of my friends...and we work stations and compare signals...my reports are not any different than my friends with beams. Most people are surprised when they learn that I am on a wire antenna. I don't think that I will EVER get a beam. With this antenna...who needs one? The best part of this story is that the antenna is broken and 100 feet repeat 100 feet of the antenna has been broken for months and I can still get great reports on all bands.

AD4BG1944 Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2004 04:06 Send this review to a friend
A great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had this antenna for about 5yrs and it works great, it went thru several hurricanes,the last one it went thru was {FLOYD} the 14 gauge wire broke but what do you expect for winds at 130 mph this antenna was up at 60ft and the ends were at 15ft and one leg of the antenna was bent into a L shape I had one report from a ham and he thought i was useing a beam antenna this was on 20 meters

KC2ZA Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2004 00:10 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put this antenna up about 3 years ago after using a CW 160 short in the PA QSO party contest. I had the antenna made using insulated flex weave wire and I also did all the strain reliefs recommended in the instructions. I only have the antenna up about 35 feet in some trees and I am feeding it with 200 feet of RG213, but it works much better then my old 230 foot long ladder line fed doublet. I receive excellent reports on 160 using it and I like the fact the SWR is under 2:1 for me on the ham bands. I have used the antenna QRO as well and had no problems using SSB & CW while QRO. I would go tomorrow to get another one if I had to.