Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | N4PY Pegasus Plus Software Help

Reviews Summary for N4PY Pegasus Plus Software
N4PY Pegasus Plus Software Reviews: 73 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $65
Description: Control Program for the Ten-Tec Pegasus and Jupiter Radio
More info: http://www.n4py.com

You can write your own review of the N4PY Pegasus Plus Software.

WS4AU Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2012 00:45 Send this review to a friend
Sudden Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed the N4PY program on a Saturday and it was late in the day. I had a couple of computer issues and decided to pick up on it the next day.
I didn't get started again until late Sunday afternoon. I had a couple of questions so I sent an email to Carl asking him about the issues. As soon as I sent the email I got up and went to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee. When I got my coffee, my cell phone rings and it was Carl, ready to help me with my problem getting the software to operate properly. This was about 5 PM on a Sunday afternoon!! Of course he got MY mistakes taken care of and I was off and running shortly thereafter. I told Carl that he must really love his work to be doing it on a Sunday afternoon and he replied that he does. Thanks Carl for Sudden Service and I like your software package a lot!!

WB5CYS Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2012 14:30 Send this review to a friend
Simply the Best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sixty-two reviews and a perfect 5.0 rating. There is a reason for that. This software is simply the best there is for computer controlled operations. It has made my little Ten-Tec Pegasus a very modern and very powerful transceiver.

The ease of operations, computer compatibility and options for customizing to suit your own desires is just outstanding. I use an external control pod with my Pegasus and since I can program multiple functions to each button on the pod I am able to fly through my operations from point to point, mode to mode and band to band at light speed.

This is just too much fun. I love the old air-variable capacitors, big coils, 807 finals as much as anyone but this is the future and I find it very exciting.

Thanks to Carl for producing a program that allows so many hams to interface their computers to so many different rigs and to experience the thrill of software controlled operations without the frustration of most of the others. A true 5 indeed!

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2012 09:51 Send this review to a friend
WOW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Now that I turned 60 I can safely be considered as an "OT". I've been running a Ten Tec Jupiter for about a year and a half and have enjoyed the rig. I've been suspicious of using computer control having been a Big Knob guy for 40 years. But...updating my anemic computer I now, for the first time ever, have Windows at my disposal and thought I'd take a look at what all the hurrah was about. Strictly an experiment, ya know? I mean, why would I even think about using this stuff?

WOW! Two days into using Carl's very well written software I became a convert. It puts everything that this rig has right in front of me. It makes using the rig much easier and quicker to operate. No more leaning over the desk and pushing a button while turning a knob. The memories alone make it worthwhile. This is good stuff, very good stuff. I can't imagine turning on the Jupe without having the GUI here to use. It's that good. If you have a Jupiter (yes I know it works with lots of other rigs) you MUST have this. Hats off to Carl for making this available to the ham community.

And...like K8JHR said....it is truly "way cool".

K1ESE Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2010 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Support  Time owned: more than 12 months
All of the N4PY programs add value to operating the radios. This one is no exception. I use the Pegasus program with my K3 and it does a terrific job.

Controlling the radio is faster and easier with the program and the computer mouse. There are many shortcuts and, after a short learning curve, operating the K3 is a more pleasurable experience.

You get all the advantages of running a SDR radio with the computer, but the K3 still works great if the computer is down.

Carl does a terrific job of supporting his programs. He is very accessible and his service and support are fast and effective. It's a pleasure to work with such a nice guy.

Carl is always adding features to keep up with the developments in radios and accessories.

I enjoy radio more with the N4PY software.

N1NN Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2009 08:28 Send this review to a friend
N4PY Radio Control  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wrote a brief review regarding N4PY's software on these pages back in November 2003. I feel the need to
review Carl's wares again after six years of pure enjoyment running a completely computerized ham radio rig.

I will lean towards the new ham operator or the ham that is not familiar with a computer driven radio.

Basically, N4PY's Software displays on your PC's monitor a fully functional ham radio front panel, with
pushbuttons, slide switches, analog/digital frequency readouts, frequency sweep scope, filter display,
S meter, Tx/Rx incremental tuning, local and UTC time displays, user defined CW buffers for contest work,
and user defined memory for the later retrieving of your favorite stations.

This radio panel on your monitor is a absolute necessity to run radios that do not have front panels such as
the Ten-Tec Pegasus and the Flex radios. The radios that Carl covers that do have front panels receive a
bonus in that the monitor radio panel can be modified by the user. Changing pushbutton text and color is a
feature that has always delighted me. The ability to change the looks of the rig every now and then is
fantastic. An advantage, especially in a contest, is having things in one place on the monitor. The radio,
your favorite contest logging program, spotting, etc., is handy to have all in your field of view.

After many years in the electrical design of custom automated manufacturing equipment using CAD, the use
of a PC's mouse became second nature for me, therefore running a radio with a mouse pointer became most
attractive and efficient.

My Ten-Tec Pegasus is still running quite nicely with Carl's program and my interest in the hobby can only
increase due to the ease of customizing my radio.

Carl uses a PC's serial port to communicate with his supported equipment. If your PC's serial port or
ports are presently occupied, Carl can send and receive his signals using a USB port on your PC. The only
item you would need for this to work properly is a USB to Serial cable, found at any computer outlet or
Radio Shack.

If you have a brainstorm and Carl has the means to accommodate your request, the process is very easy.

A prime example of enhancing my Pegasus rig is as follows:

When running contests, I rely heavily on mouse left-clicking to transmit the CW info. I asked Carl if he
could give me another pushbutton that I could label "kill" that would abort the Morse that I had just
started sending - my call letters. Carl's solution to my request resulted in the use of the mouse's right-
hand switch. Left click to start sending N1NN, right click to abort it. I can chop a "dah" into a "dit"!
A very handy item when the contest station keeps transmitting when you thought he was finished. Carl carefully
thought this one out and as usual came up with (pardon the expression) "a better mouse". The same day that
I e-mailed Carl with my request, he e-mailed me back with his modified software attached.

Included in N4PY's subscription is software called DX Spots. This tool allows you to spot or alert others
that are connected to dxspots.com about the existance of a DX station. If you click on the pushbutton that
displays the frequency of the spotted DX station, your rig will switch to the DX station's frequency.
Included next to the DX station's call is the country name, beam heading, distance, CQ/ITU zone numbers,
a two letter continent abbreviation, zulu time, and the word NEW, if you have not worked the prefix.
Carl has incorporated into his DX Spots a nice logging program complete with DXCC tracking and scoring.
The logging feature writes all the necessary info - date, frequency, mode, power, time, callsign, rst's, and
country with one "enter" keystroke.

There are three radio panels that Carl offers - one for most Ten-Tec, Kenwood, and Elecraft radios,
a specialized version for Ten-Tec's Orion and Orion II, and finally an Icom version for most Icom radios.
Carl also supports the Acom 2000, SPE Expert 1K-FA, and Tokyo High Power HL-1.5KFX amplifiers.

The complete rundown of the N4PY Software offerings can be found at http://www.ralabs.com/n4py/

Subscribing to Carl's software is well worth the $30.00 annual fee and you cannot find "a better mouse".

Roger
N1NN

K4EB Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2009 07:26 Send this review to a friend
N4PY RIG CONTROL SOFTWARE  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using N4PY software for several years now to control several radios.Any time that I have any questions whatsoever or any problems,Carl is always ready to bend over backwards to get the problem solved.Most recently,I had a problem with my Elecraft K3,which Carl does not have one himself,and is a very complicated radio as far as programming goes.But,it didn't take him long to figure out the solution.
Carl is constantly updating his software to alway be "the latest and greatest"
The interface is very user friendly,which especially nice in the day of all the new radios,that you almost need to go to college to operate.
His software is available for most radios for evalution before you buy at n4py.com.Like he says on the site "all of his emphasis is put on the software,not the website".
Why not check it out?Thanks for reading. 73 De K4EB,Larry

K8JHR Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2009 21:44 Send this review to a friend
Solid performance and service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this software to control my Ten-Tec Omni VII transceiver in "radio" mode - which is solid, useful, and reliable - not to mention way cool - especially the band scope and ability to tune just by mousing to a peak on the scope scale. It works even better in "remote mode" as ALL radio features are then accessible and maleable from the computer interface. Just great.

Service after the sale is fabulous and Carl is a an approachable and friendly guy - updates come frequently and are generally designed to add features requested by users. Carl tries to accomodate these requests and the software develops over time into OUR software we can use as we like.

==== James - K8JHR ===

KE4WY Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2009 00:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using N4PY software since 2001 and my results have been excellent. This program not only supports several Ten Tec radios & receivers, it will also support several Kenwood, Flex, & Elecraft radios. Support questions or issues are typically handled in one day.

In fact just recently I asked Carl if it was possible to add Acom 2000A band switching support to his program & in just two days he sent me a Beta that included my requested feature. Understand he is now planning on adding Acom 2000a support to his Icom, Pegasus & Orion versions of his software.

Also registered users can also download his free DX Spots program that works with N4PY Radio control programs. Not only does it have the DX cluster internet connection included in this program is his N4PYLog logging program.

To sum it up my experience with Carl?s software has been outstanding in both operation & support.

K0COP Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2009 12:25 Send this review to a friend
New K3 control from N4PY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Without a doubt this program which includes the Elecraft K3 is magnificent. I am a new user with the K3 but have been a user of the N4PY Orion control software. The K3 version makes the controlling of the K3 a joy. The extra bonus is that you don't have to remember all of the buttons and what they do. The graphics may look a bit intimidating at first but the click and point or the control with the Griffin knob is easy and precise. Give this program a try.

N1WPN Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2008 18:17 Send this review to a friend
32bit version for Omni VII  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am very pleased with the latest release of the 32 bit version. I am using it with my Omni VII in the remote mode and the audio on tx is working much better than the oneplug version. I verified that with on the air contacts from my hotel in Pittsburgh all the way to my Radio at home in MA. Install was very easy and once configured worked very good. Had some issues with the 3G ATT card I was using and Carl worked his magic and alll worked after he discovered a port confict that was caused by the 3g card. I use the 3g card as its faster than the hotel network. This prgm is a 5 for me. The more I use it the more I like it.
7 3