Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | N4PY Pegasus Plus Software Help

Reviews Summary for N4PY Pegasus Plus Software
N4PY Pegasus Plus Software Reviews: 70 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $65
Description: Control Program for the Ten-Tec Pegasus and Jupiter Radio
More info: http://www.n4py.com

You can write your own review of the N4PY Pegasus Plus Software.

K1ESE Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2010 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Support  Time owned: more than 12 months
All of the N4PY programs add value to operating the radios. This one is no exception. I use the Pegasus program with my K3 and it does a terrific job.

Controlling the radio is faster and easier with the program and the computer mouse. There are many shortcuts and, after a short learning curve, operating the K3 is a more pleasurable experience.

You get all the advantages of running a SDR radio with the computer, but the K3 still works great if the computer is down.

Carl does a terrific job of supporting his programs. He is very accessible and his service and support are fast and effective. It's a pleasure to work with such a nice guy.

Carl is always adding features to keep up with the developments in radios and accessories.

I enjoy radio more with the N4PY software.

N1NN Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2009 08:28 Send this review to a friend
N4PY Radio Control  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wrote a brief review regarding N4PY's software on these pages back in November 2003. I feel the need to
review Carl's wares again after six years of pure enjoyment running a completely computerized ham radio rig.

I will lean towards the new ham operator or the ham that is not familiar with a computer driven radio.

Basically, N4PY's Software displays on your PC's monitor a fully functional ham radio front panel, with
pushbuttons, slide switches, analog/digital frequency readouts, frequency sweep scope, filter display,
S meter, Tx/Rx incremental tuning, local and UTC time displays, user defined CW buffers for contest work,
and user defined memory for the later retrieving of your favorite stations.

This radio panel on your monitor is a absolute necessity to run radios that do not have front panels such as
the Ten-Tec Pegasus and the Flex radios. The radios that Carl covers that do have front panels receive a
bonus in that the monitor radio panel can be modified by the user. Changing pushbutton text and color is a
feature that has always delighted me. The ability to change the looks of the rig every now and then is
fantastic. An advantage, especially in a contest, is having things in one place on the monitor. The radio,
your favorite contest logging program, spotting, etc., is handy to have all in your field of view.

After many years in the electrical design of custom automated manufacturing equipment using CAD, the use
of a PC's mouse became second nature for me, therefore running a radio with a mouse pointer became most
attractive and efficient.

My Ten-Tec Pegasus is still running quite nicely with Carl's program and my interest in the hobby can only
increase due to the ease of customizing my radio.

Carl uses a PC's serial port to communicate with his supported equipment. If your PC's serial port or
ports are presently occupied, Carl can send and receive his signals using a USB port on your PC. The only
item you would need for this to work properly is a USB to Serial cable, found at any computer outlet or
Radio Shack.

If you have a brainstorm and Carl has the means to accommodate your request, the process is very easy.

A prime example of enhancing my Pegasus rig is as follows:

When running contests, I rely heavily on mouse left-clicking to transmit the CW info. I asked Carl if he
could give me another pushbutton that I could label "kill" that would abort the Morse that I had just
started sending - my call letters. Carl's solution to my request resulted in the use of the mouse's right-
hand switch. Left click to start sending N1NN, right click to abort it. I can chop a "dah" into a "dit"!
A very handy item when the contest station keeps transmitting when you thought he was finished. Carl carefully
thought this one out and as usual came up with (pardon the expression) "a better mouse". The same day that
I e-mailed Carl with my request, he e-mailed me back with his modified software attached.

Included in N4PY's subscription is software called DX Spots. This tool allows you to spot or alert others
that are connected to dxspots.com about the existance of a DX station. If you click on the pushbutton that
displays the frequency of the spotted DX station, your rig will switch to the DX station's frequency.
Included next to the DX station's call is the country name, beam heading, distance, CQ/ITU zone numbers,
a two letter continent abbreviation, zulu time, and the word NEW, if you have not worked the prefix.
Carl has incorporated into his DX Spots a nice logging program complete with DXCC tracking and scoring.
The logging feature writes all the necessary info - date, frequency, mode, power, time, callsign, rst's, and
country with one "enter" keystroke.

There are three radio panels that Carl offers - one for most Ten-Tec, Kenwood, and Elecraft radios,
a specialized version for Ten-Tec's Orion and Orion II, and finally an Icom version for most Icom radios.
Carl also supports the Acom 2000, SPE Expert 1K-FA, and Tokyo High Power HL-1.5KFX amplifiers.

The complete rundown of the N4PY Software offerings can be found at http://www.ralabs.com/n4py/

Subscribing to Carl's software is well worth the $30.00 annual fee and you cannot find "a better mouse".

Roger
N1NN

K4EB Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2009 07:26 Send this review to a friend
N4PY RIG CONTROL SOFTWARE  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using N4PY software for several years now to control several radios.Any time that I have any questions whatsoever or any problems,Carl is always ready to bend over backwards to get the problem solved.Most recently,I had a problem with my Elecraft K3,which Carl does not have one himself,and is a very complicated radio as far as programming goes.But,it didn't take him long to figure out the solution.
Carl is constantly updating his software to alway be "the latest and greatest"
The interface is very user friendly,which especially nice in the day of all the new radios,that you almost need to go to college to operate.
His software is available for most radios for evalution before you buy at n4py.com.Like he says on the site "all of his emphasis is put on the software,not the website".
Why not check it out?Thanks for reading. 73 De K4EB,Larry

K8JHR Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2009 21:44 Send this review to a friend
Solid performance and service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this software to control my Ten-Tec Omni VII transceiver in "radio" mode - which is solid, useful, and reliable - not to mention way cool - especially the band scope and ability to tune just by mousing to a peak on the scope scale. It works even better in "remote mode" as ALL radio features are then accessible and maleable from the computer interface. Just great.

Service after the sale is fabulous and Carl is a an approachable and friendly guy - updates come frequently and are generally designed to add features requested by users. Carl tries to accomodate these requests and the software develops over time into OUR software we can use as we like.

==== James - K8JHR ===

KE4WY Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2009 00:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using N4PY software since 2001 and my results have been excellent. This program not only supports several Ten Tec radios & receivers, it will also support several Kenwood, Flex, & Elecraft radios. Support questions or issues are typically handled in one day.

In fact just recently I asked Carl if it was possible to add Acom 2000A band switching support to his program & in just two days he sent me a Beta that included my requested feature. Understand he is now planning on adding Acom 2000a support to his Icom, Pegasus & Orion versions of his software.

Also registered users can also download his free DX Spots program that works with N4PY Radio control programs. Not only does it have the DX cluster internet connection included in this program is his N4PYLog logging program.

To sum it up my experience with Carl?s software has been outstanding in both operation & support.

K0COP Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2009 12:25 Send this review to a friend
New K3 control from N4PY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Without a doubt this program which includes the Elecraft K3 is magnificent. I am a new user with the K3 but have been a user of the N4PY Orion control software. The K3 version makes the controlling of the K3 a joy. The extra bonus is that you don't have to remember all of the buttons and what they do. The graphics may look a bit intimidating at first but the click and point or the control with the Griffin knob is easy and precise. Give this program a try.

N1WPN Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2008 18:17 Send this review to a friend
32bit version for Omni VII  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am very pleased with the latest release of the 32 bit version. I am using it with my Omni VII in the remote mode and the audio on tx is working much better than the oneplug version. I verified that with on the air contacts from my hotel in Pittsburgh all the way to my Radio at home in MA. Install was very easy and once configured worked very good. Had some issues with the 3G ATT card I was using and Carl worked his magic and alll worked after he discovered a port confict that was caused by the 3g card. I use the 3g card as its faster than the hotel network. This prgm is a 5 for me. The more I use it the more I like it.
7 3
n1wpn Wayne

KR9D Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2008 22:42 Send this review to a friend
Want dual receive on the cheap?  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My older Ten Tec Omni V includes the V.9 ROM and modifications to provide a CI-V-compliant serial interface (also developed by Carl N4PY). Using and older version of Carl's Pegasus control software which he provided at a good price, I am able to control an RX-320 as a sub-receiver to the Omni V.9. Doing so allows me to control the RX-320 using the Omni's VFO knob, and it allows virtually unlimited memory storage for the Omni as well as the RX-320. When I use Carl's software to direct the 320 to the frequency in use by the Omni, it even applies my current Omni filter selections.

Now, I can tune the RX-320 to a DX station (which is usually relatively easy to receive), and use the more Omni V's stronger receiver to parse the pileup. That makes a lot easier to find the frequency being worked by the DX station.

The control software also allows me to work split without needing the split mode of the rig. My local club runs an SSB net with monitored frequencies for Generals and Techs in bands and frequencies allowed for them, and with Carl's software I can hear them all without having to be too agile.

And using the RX-320 sub-receiver, the software will perform a band sweep, in addition to several other features not found in sub-kilobuck or older radios.

I built a small muting circuit to mute the RX-320 audio during transmit, and use a small headphone mixer to mix both radio outputs into one set of headphones. Carl provided detailed instructions for this integration.

Yes, it is possible to build a station with a first-class receiver and dual-receive capability for under a grand. It just takes carefully selected components and good integration/control software.

AA7LG Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2007 11:01 Send this review to a friend
excellent software at a bargain price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using the N4PY for a few months and I am very impressed with it. I feel that the author of this program has made an excellent effort and he continues to improve his code in an ongoing basis. I realize some people object to paying for software but when an individual takes this type of effort to create and support a quality product you canít expect it for free. Whatís next, do we expect radio mfg. to give free service after the warrantee expires? You get what you pay for and in this case itís a bargain!

K9ZW Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2007 08:19 Send this review to a friend
Exceptional Product at an ordinary price  Time owned: more than 12 months
The N4PY progam has worked great running both Pegasus & Jupiter's here in the shack. I've made 1000s of QSOs using it, both digital mode and SSB.

Support from Carl N4PY has been excellent.

Carl has been very quick to provide registration keys when I've moved computers, or installed the software on my field-day portable. This is a pleasant policy compared to the restrictive licensing systems of some software.

Though a person doesn't need to subscribe to Carl's yearly fee based support, as your original software key will not expire, it is modestly priced & includes both updates and personalized support if you need it.

I've loaded and looked at a number of alternatives, and the N4PY package is simply hard to beat.

Steve