Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | PSK-10 Small Wonder Labs digi mode transceiver for 10M Help

Reviews Summary for PSK-10 Small Wonder Labs digi mode transceiver for 10M
PSK-10 Small Wonder Labs digi mode transceiver for 10M Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $85
Description: This is a single board transceiver for digital modes on 10M. The kit features new circuitry for enhanced output and simplified input. No RS-232 PTT cable required. This kit may be of special interest to Novice and Tech+ license holders who want to explore the wonderful digi DX on 10M.
More info: http://www.smallwonderlabs.com

You can write your own review of the PSK-10 Small Wonder Labs digi mode transceiver for 10M.

AB9EI Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2003 17:24 Send this review to a friend
PSK-10 Great Kit, Easy to Build  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a great kit, even for a beginner. It has relatively few parts and the instructions are very clear and easy to follow.

Dave Benson responded quickly to my questions, and the time it took to build and test the kit was minimum.

The little rig passed the "smoke test" the first time, and after I figured out the proper software configuration (thanks N9VV!) I was able to make my first DX contacts in PSK31 mode (at QRP power with an indoor antenna!).

Thanks, Dave, for providing a great kit.

N9VV Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2002 12:21 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding new kit for 10M  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I built the new PSK-10 single board transceiver kit from Dave Benson this Saturday monring (http://www.smallwonderlabs.com). Took about 5 hours.

I could not have choosen a worse time to try 10M as the band was close to deceased all weekend. I did manage one contact with HK1RRL. This may also be of special interest to Novice and Tech+ license holders who want to enjoy and explore the exciting world of 10M DX.

The kit went together very easily. Dave has simplified the PSK circuitry by eliminating the PTT and substituting a VOX circuit for T/R. I had some difficulty getting my PC configured right, but once setup properly it worked FB. I have a sort of feedback problem with my laptop audio that I hope Dave will help me figure out.

The output of the new final is really quite good. I was able to see 2W with initial tuning and 4W with tweaking and more audio drive. I was not able to get an IMD reading at idle due to the band condx. I look forward to hearing that IMD is excellent from this fine little rig. The RX is "H*O*T" as are all the PSK series. I am not an engineer so I am making a very subjective judgement that it seemed to be as good as my K2 on 10M and considerably better than my other "main rig" [:-)]

The new cases are grey with contrasting black front (prepunched) and rear panels. Really sharp looking. Alignment couldn't be easier. Just twiddle one can for RX sensitivity and then two caps for VFO. The driver and final are easily peaked looking at the SWR meter.

The instruction manual is typically a BENSON achievement. Excellent illustrations and clear text. Dave even packaged the little (tiny) monolithic caps in a plastic liner with the caps already sorted into separate pockets. Very nice for these tired old eyes. There are two surface mounted parts - both inductors and they tack down to the top of the PCB just fine. The PCB is plated through and so it is really easy to solder. O.K. toroid-phobic builders, there are four toroids to wind. But Dave made it painless. Three of them are magnet wire and only 11and 12 turns. The final is "bifilar" but only has four turns. The illustration in the manual was clear as a bell. Unlike my PSK-20, the final never ran hot. I think Dave has a very nice new final design in the PSK-10.

Overall it gets a 5/5 from this ham. I congratulate Dave on another fine PSK kit. One that should be of great interest to those who might wish to hook up a sinple CB style mag mount and give 10M a try on your lunch hour. When it is open, 10M PSK31 (around 28.120) is DX heaven.

Thanks Dave for the entertainment on Saturday as I built yet another super-duper Small Wonder Labs kit.

appreciatevely,