Reviews Categories | Ham Shack Clocks | MFJ 130RC Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 130RC
MFJ 130RC Reviews: 27 Average rating: 1.4/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: Thermo Wall Clock
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ 130RC.

KC2RYZ Rating: 4/5 Sep 26, 2007 06:41 Send this review to a friend
Works fine if set properly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK, guys, the reason you can't get it to work right is that the instructions for setting the UTC offset are wrong. The chart is inverted. The offset for P-T should be 8, for M-T is 7, for C-T is 6, and for E-T is 5. I learned from Brian at MFJ customer service that they are aware of the problem in the instructions but have not corrected it (Gee, thanks, MFJ!). Once I put in the correct offset, it set itself properly and is working fine - so far. If you are in the US, when setting the offset, be careful not to set it to a negative number. I made that mistake also.

KD6IQS Rating: 0/5 Jun 16, 2007 21:33 Send this review to a friend
a bad time with this clock  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This clock is crap!!! In spite of MFJ's instructions on how to set
this clock for UTC, it didn't keep that time. I'd set it for UTC and
every evening the stupid clock would reset itself for another time.
I would absolutely NOT recommend this clock. Its a ridiculous
waste of effort and materials.
I'll probably send it back to MFJ for a refund.

K8RBW Rating: 1/5 Apr 7, 2007 23:16 Send this review to a friend
A FOOL AND THEIR MONEY SOON PART  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought two of these duds. Talk about being retarded!! One was for my place in
Chicago and the other was for my place in Wisconsin. Neither picked up the WWVB signal so I decided to swallow my pride and set them manually. I set them to UTC, but both did a terrible job of keeping time. When I got around to changing the batteries they just kind of stuck on 12:00 AM Friday and could no longer be set. So now they can't even be used manually. If you want a clock that works go to Walmart---NOT MFJ! I am giving them a 1 because they did keep time manually for a year and provide me with the inside temperature. Why sell something that obviously doesn't work? I lived in China and Taiwan for a number of years. When defective items were produced, the firms that commissioned them forced the manufacturers to eat the loss, thereby providing them with incentive to correct the problem. Try over a million dollars in defective shoes! MFJ has chosen to pass along defective merchandise to their customers and let them eat the loss. That sure is nice of them! Walmart, Costco and Sam's wouldn't do that.
de Dick, K8RBW

N4PMG Rating: 0/5 Dec 24, 2006 10:24 Send this review to a friend
IT'S A BAD JOKE!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this very impressive looking clock a short time back! I broke one of my rules by not checking the eham product reviews before ordering it!
This clock is a beautiful and very impressive addition to any shack, "IF IT WOULD JUST WORK"!
After trying many different locations inside my shack to get it to lock on to the needed signal I took it outside? On the "Third Attempt" it finally found the signal an locked it in! This would be great if I needed an outside clock! I'm returning it to my local dealer!!!

VE2JKA Rating: 1/5 Oct 20, 2006 09:33 Send this review to a friend
Terrible  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have if for a few years now and it synchronized maybe once or twice of course I am in the north (Montreal Qc) never the less I do have a few more Atomic clocks and they sync fine..ohh well at least it shows the indoor temperature.. LOL! I wouldn't buy this clock, go with another.. JMHO

KD7WEL Rating: 0/5 Jun 22, 2006 19:57 Send this review to a friend
Buy another clock  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am on my second clock from MFJ. Neither one will sync with WWV. I have 2 other rc clocks on the same wall which both sync nightly. Save your money. Go to Sam's or Costco and buy one off the shelf. I did and have had no problems. MFJ will head to the garage sale.

W2WO Rating: 2/5 Jun 10, 2006 10:49 Send this review to a friend
Poor  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Nice display (with UTC) when the clock is working correctly. If it cannot sync with WWV (which is often in NY) it displays garbage. I always need to think twice about whether it is displaying the correct time or something else.

These "atomic" clocks are a very well-established technology. Why is this model so bad? I assume it is not actually built by MFJ -- why do they degrade themselves by marketing this thing?

N2ECR Rating: 0/5 Feb 12, 2006 10:22 Send this review to a friend
The worst!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Useless as a radio controlled clock. I paid half the price for a similar clock from COSTCO and it never had any problems. Someone below mentioned MFJ=mighty fine job...I think it should be MFJ=more freakin' junk!

K4RAB Rating: 0/5 Nov 3, 2005 02:27 Send this review to a friend
Don't waste your money on this turkey!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned numerous MFJ products, including the MFJ-122 Radio Controlled clock, which works great but doesn't display UTC, and my favorite, the MFJ-118, which, although it is not radio controlled, keeps very good time, and I use it for UTC.

I bought an MFJ-130RC, looking for that elusive radio controlled clock that would display UTC. My advice, Don't waste your money on this turkey! Not only can it not receive the WWVB signal error free, it cannot keep time even when set manually to the correct time. To make matters worse, configuring it to display UTC is an excercise in utter frustration. This clock is useless!

KP4E Rating: 0/5 May 26, 2005 09:49 Send this review to a friend
Poor Performer!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Save your money. Buy something else. This clock has never worked properly. I am tired of manually adjusting the time. On self sync with WWV it gives the wrong DAY or DATE sometimes only the seconds become syncronized with WWV. This is a waste of money!