Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Kenwood TH-79AKSS Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TH-79AKSS
Kenwood TH-79AKSS Reviews: 11 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $379.99
Description: 2m & 70cm HT with *Dot-Matrix LCD*
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/products/index.cfm?AMA=open&ama_hheld=op

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TH-79AKSS.

N4RAP Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2005 22:22 Send this review to a friend
The best so far  Time owned: more than 12 months
I know...I'm stupid. I've owned three of these. Every time a new unit came on the market, I would sell or trade my 79 in and within a few days, be mad as hell and want it back. Have you ever broke up with the best girlfriend you've ever had, and want her back just as soon as she was gone? Now you know the feeling. After I did that to my self, the second time, I said to my self "Wayne get another one and kepp it forever". So this one is not going anywhere. I like it and it has a great speaker in it too. After all...we do more listening than talking so to me, the speaker is an important part to any radio. It has good features, can be cloned and does crossband repeat. and is easy to modify. But it's skinny shape does make it hard to stand on a table. that isn't perfectly flat. But it feels good on your belt, because it is so skinny.

It also can look like a cell phone with a Miracle Baby antenna and a small battery. That way you don't have to goa around looking like a Ham Radio Nerd all the time.

N4RAP

KG6IIU Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2002 02:17 Send this review to a friend
good features/great audio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
the features this radio has, audio mix/separate, uhf-uhf, vhf-vhf, program guide, single band,
full duplex, etc., etc. make you really look at new prospect features.
programming is simple once you get the hang of it.
and connected to a through the roof mobile antenna
and pg-3j lighter adapter, gets great audio reports,
from even distant repeaters.(smc-34 mike is a must)
sky command 2 is on the market(so much for kss i guess)
wouldn't trade it for any other handheld (what a dope...)
2m/220/440 would catch my eye though.
(works very well with a telescoping antenna)
(and even better with a 124wb)

KE6YOC Rating: 4/5 Oct 18, 2001 22:50 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use  Time owned: more than 12 months
Pros:
Good value on the used market.
Easy to program and can be extended for RX/TX.
True dual band receive - can do 2 vhf/uhf bands (any combo).
Has alphanumerics and 80 memories.

Cons:
Drains batteries fast. I carry an extra always.
Slim design falls over easily.

I have two of these, the first has been beat up pretty well and just gave up - the bnc finally worked loose and the protective flap on the side broke off, but I got many hours use outdoors with it. They are the older A model and were both purchased in like new condition with accessories for under $200 each.

WA9JYG Rating: 2/5 Jul 3, 2001 19:31 Send this review to a friend
Kenwood Features  Time owned: more than 12 months
Kenwood has been selling this radio for about 1 1/2 years now as being able to control some Kenwood radio's from remote with this HT but this part has not been approved by FCC and they blame this on the ARRL! With out this feature approved it is a bit over priced over Icon and Yaesu products!

K8APL Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2000 16:43 Send this review to a friend
excellent radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have owned the TH79A(D) since the spring of 1996. i wanted the best, it was expensive,
but well worth it. i have never had trouble with this radio and it does everything i need or
want in a radio, and then some.

K6LO Rating: 4/5 Nov 3, 2000 21:47 Send this review to a friend
Fun to use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I don't own one, but as a Kenwood dealer I have evaluated a few. They are fun little portables, and the electronic assembly is supurb. The mechanics are a bit weak, but that is to be expected, I think, of a consumer product. As for those complaining about Kenwood and the "rules" well, the rules should have been read before the radio was purchased. Get over it.

KC0IPG Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2000 17:40 Send this review to a friend
Very Impressive  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I saw some of the other reviews and decided we needed to set the record straight. This is quite a nice performing radio. It has every feature imaginable (PL, dtss, page, tone alert, dual VFOs, crossband repeat, backlight, dotmatrix display, alphanumeric display, etc, etc). It's a great little HT, and I've been hard-pressed to find another rig as good as it is. I would recommend these things to a perspective buyer, though:
1. Get a BT-9 battery case
2. Get those new NI-MH batteries (so you don't have to cycle charge like the NI-CDs)
3. Get a small NI-mh (like a PB-30 or 32) for when you want to cary it around, etc
4. Get a large NI-mh (like a PB-34) so you can use the full 5 watts and have it last longer when needed
5. Get a base charger so you don't have to wait forever to charge the batts.

W5PM Rating: 4/5 Jun 27, 2000 11:28 Send this review to a friend
not bad  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the TH-79AD version since mid 1997. It is easy to program repeater information into this rig. Cross-band repeat is easy to set up and has come in handy for me on several occasions. It is also easy to dial phone numbers from memory channels. I got a Tucker quick charger at the time of purchase, and this lets me re-charge in minutes, rather than hours. The rig has some faults, but they are things I can live with. When I "lost" this rig last week, I started shopping around for a good replacement, but didn't find anything. Was I relieved when I finally found it under the front seat of my XYL's car!

KE6NFZ Rating: 2/5 Mar 31, 2000 01:14 Send this review to a friend
Okay radio but I sold it... too many hassles  Time owned: unknown months
Radio functioned well, even though I had a hard time reading the dot matrix display. My main problems were as follows:

1. The radio would not stay standing up, it would fall over.
2. You had to charge the battery while it was on the radio.
3. It had a charge jack but not an external dc input.
4. When the flimsy plastic protector that covered the charge jack tore off it took Kenwood's parts supplier 6 months to get me a replacement. The screw that held this on was very cheap and stripped too easily.
5. The accessories were overpriced.

Now I have an ADI AT-600 and have none of these problems.

KB9SZX Rating: 4/5 Feb 16, 2000 22:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio, Good performer.  Time owned: unknown months
I have had absolutly no problems with my 79, or any other kenwood rig that I own (I own 3 other HT's and 1 base rig). I beat my radios up rather well, and this one keeps on tickin. I'm not sure what problems this other reviewer had, but they seem suprising to me. As for the charger issue, you would be very hard-pressed to find a radio made today that does not reqire being plugged into a wall-wart supply. As for the power plug, I suppose if you drop the radio while it is pluged in or twirl it around with the cord, it might break. But I use mine with both the charger cord and mobile adapter cord almost every day now for a year........still fine. All in all, it has a decent reciver and a good transmitter. And if it is opened up, it recieves a bunch :) It also has a pretty hot AM Aircraft reciver as well. So far my biggest problem is that some of the silk-screening on the keypad is starting to wear off, but that is not to uncommon with any rig, as i've seen this on other ht's